Turn on thread page Beta

I want to do more GCSEs (read inside) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Sixth Form. I completed 10 GCSEs, all A and A* grades. However, I'd very much like to do more. I want to take another 10 GCSEs to improve my CV in later life and because I enjoy learning.

How would I go about arranging to do more GCSE exams and how long would it take to learn for them?

ReputationRep:
    go to college

ReputationRep:
    teach yourself and get the school to enter you into the exams.

ReputationRep:
    why not go ahead with your life and get much more intelligent and experienced qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to improve your CV either do more A-levels or work experience! GCSEs are kind of useless in later life.

ReputationRep:
    That'd be unbelievably pointless. That time would be much better spent studying for your A Levels

You can take any number of GCSEs or A-levels as a private candidate. Just buy some textbooks and enter for the exams. But, really.... they won't help your CV - if you want to enhance your CV then do plenty of extra curricular stuff that you can use to demonstrate things like leadership ability, team building and team work skills etc or learn a foreign language to a high degree of fluency. GCSEs are pretty useless really and some top schools are dropping them all together as they are considered too easy.

ReputationRep:
    haha you aren't serious? No one is going to think you're special if you take 10 more gcse's after you've already got 10, however, if you take 10 As levels (with good grades) then you'll be turning heads.

ReputationRep:
    Another 10 GCSEs won't help your CV at all, you would be better off doing A levels then going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You can take any number of GCSEs or A-levels as a private candidate. Just buy some textbooks and enter for the exams. But, really.... they won't help your CV - if you want to enhance your CV then do plenty of extra curricular stuff that you can use to demonstrate things like leadership ability, team building and team work skills etc or learn a foreign language to a high degree of fluency. GCSEs are pretty useless really and some top schools are dropping them all together as they are considered too easy.
    ok, if I decide to take them after I have left school (focus on my A Levels in school), how would I arrange them? I have no idea who to contact and where to do the exams :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    This is the first i've heard of this, are they replacing them for other qualifications such as IGCSE or are they just not doing them altogether and i don't get all the hype with tsr saying gcse's are easy. If you look on the forum, it is actually shown to be harder to get straight A*'s at GCSE's than at As level. look at all the people with so many A*'s and A's and GCSE's who still go on to get straight A's at A level. Your thinking is flawed.

Also when you do 12 of them, balancing and organising your focus around 12 subjects can be tricky and i'm sure when you were at GCSE, you found it hard as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    This is the first i've heard of this, are they replacing them for other qualifications such as IGCSE or are they just not doing them altogether and i don't get all the hype with tsr saying gcse's are easy. If you look on the forum, it is actually shown to be harder to get straight A*'s at GCSE's than at As level. look at all the people with so many A*'s and A's and GCSE's who still go on to get straight A's at A level. Your thinking is flawed.

Also when you do 12 of them, balancing and organising your focus around 12 subjects can be tricky and i'm sure when you were at GCSE, you found it hard as well.
    I found GCSEs very easy even when I was doing them. Which is why I want to do more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    I found GCSEs very easy even when I was doing them. Which is why I want to do more.
    what grades did you get and what are you on for in your aslevels may i ask?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are irrelevant when you've done A Levels, and generally, A Levels become irrelevant if you do a degree etc etc...

unless you are particularly interested in a topic, or want to learn a language for personal use, then by all means go for it, but its really a waste of time and money otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Learn a language (not necessarily at GCSE; there are loads of excellent self-teach courses around -- I can advise you on some, if necessary). It'd be a much more productive use of your time than learning syllabi and constraining yourself to the preconceived ideas of GCSE examiners.

Besides, why do more of something that you found "very easy"? That shows less of a love of learning than a love of pretension, surely?

(Original post by hallix)
    This is the first i've heard of this, are they replacing them for other qualifications such as IGCSE or are they just not doing them altogether and i don't get all the hype with tsr saying gcse's are easy.
    Schools such as Manchester Grammar School have announced that as of this September they are dropping GCSEs altogether and entering students for the IGCSE as these exams are perceived as being more challenging.

I found GCSE work incredibly dull. The only challenge is managing the hideous amount of monotonous coursework that the exams seem to require. The prospect of doing more is just mind numbingly tedious as well as rather pointless.

ReputationRep:
    it won't help: they will wonder why you took an extra year/ two years to do 10 more GCSEs instead of doing more A levels and think you are lacking strongly in common sense. GCSEs are a very basic qualification.

If it really bothers you that much do 9/10 AS levels. I worked out this year that I've done the work equivalent to 5 full A levels (AS and A2) in the first year of my degree because I took on a whole load of extra modules e.g. much more maths and I did two, one year courses in Spanish in one year too.

I do not recommend doing what I have suggested at all: the reason I took on so much in my degree year is because I'm trying to maximise my chances of getting into investment banking/ Harvard for my postgrad in economics, but I'm at a university whose economics undergraduate course is very similar to Harvards as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    That's dumb - at least do something that presents something of a challenge. A guy at my school got ten grade A A-levels - that at least takes some doing.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Doing 20 GCSEs is going to have little effect on your CV... in the world of work, GCSEs have little bearing, being overridden by things like experience, transferrable skills, etc. You'd be better concentrating on your A-levels and getting good grades in them (maybe do 4 or 5 if you so wish), and then doing well in a degree. A 2:1 at degree level and 20 GCSEs will look less impressive than a 1st at degree level and 10 GCSEs, for example.

do the standard number of GCSEs, A levels, then get a degree, then a masters and then do a PhD... surely this is enough? and if not, then do another degree, another masters and more PhDs and more research

if you're still not satisfied then read the entire wikipedia database

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.