Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Schools such as Manchester Grammar School have announced that as of this September they are dropping GCSEs altogether and entering students for the IGCSE as these exams are perceived as being more challenging.

I found GCSE work incredibly dull. The only challenge is managing the hideous amount of monotonous coursework that the exams seem to require. The prospect of doing more is just mind numbingly tedious as well as rather pointless.
    Ahh i see, seeing the predicted grades of people from MGS on the forum i can understand why they would do that, even then i've done IGCSE maths and i didn't find it that difficult compared to the GCSE maths i had done elsewhere and i've heard its the same with the sciences. Basically, if you are good at that subject in GCSE you will be good at it in IGCSE, its only really borderline candidates that are affected. e.g. a low B in GCSE might go to a C in IGCSE.

And i do agree with the last statement, more gcse's would be more rote learning for stuff i'm not interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    Hi, I'm in Sixth Form. I completed 10 GCSEs, all A and A* grades. However, I'd very much like to do more. I want to take another 10 GCSEs to improve my CV in later life and because I enjoy learning.

How would I go about arranging to do more GCSE exams and how long would it take to learn for them?
    Do this:
    Forget about GCSEs, you have plenty. Any more is useless.
    Get 3.5/4 A levels, and aim for the top grades.
    Go to university.
    Get a degree. Do a masters after.
    Do a PhD if you really want.

There is no reason whatsoever for taking more than 10 GCSEs. Just do your A levels and you won't regret the decision.

ReputationRep:
    All those A/A*'s and you still seem to lack even the basics in terms of common sense.

ReputationRep:
    My highest qulaifications so far are A levels, and even I don't have GCSEs on my CV except for
    "10 GCSEs A*-C, including maths and English"
    Even if you did have 20, I can't see that they'd really be all that impressed by the fact you chose to continue studying high-school level qualifications years after everyone else outgrew them. Worse still, they could think you were an exceptional GCSE student who didn't work as hard at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You can take any number of GCSEs or A-levels as a private candidate. Just buy some textbooks and enter for the exams. But, really.... they won't help your CV - if you want to enhance your CV then do plenty of extra curricular stuff that you can use to demonstrate things like leadership ability, team building and team work skills etc or learn a foreign language to a high degree of fluency. GCSEs are pretty useless really and some top schools are dropping them all together as they are considered too easy.
    my school;]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    Ahh i see, seeing the predicted grades of people from MGS on the forum i can understand why they would do that, even then i've done IGCSE maths and i didn't find it that difficult compared to the GCSE maths i had done elsewhere and i've heard its the same with the sciences. Basically, if you are good at that subject in GCSE you will be good at it in IGCSE, its only really borderline candidates that are affected. e.g. a low B in GCSE might go to a C in IGCSE.

And i do agree with the last statement, more gcse's would be more rote learning for stuff i'm not interested in.
    actually you are wrong
    there is so much more content in igcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    actually you are wrong
    there is so much more content in igcse
    And so what? more to rote learn? don't forget i've done IGCSE maths and there was some stuff in normal GCSE maths that wasn't covered in IGCSE and in IGCSE, i think it was only differentiation that IGCSE maths had that normal maths didn't.

Also back in the day when my school didn't do IGCSE maths, the proportion getting A*'s, A's and such are the same as now, its not like there are less getting A*'s now with IGCSE maths than with normal GCSE maths.

So stop buzzing over the fact that your IGCSE subjects have more content, even if they do, they still have to fulfil the same criteria for education, that is why IGCSEs are grouped with GCSEs. if there was a notable difference, people much cleverer than me would have caught on and would have regarded it with much more respect.

The fact is, they have to consolidate the fact that they don't have coursework by teaching more stuff, and this in itself can be a bonus to many people taking IGCSE because some people just don't care about coursework and so it can pull their grade down, with IGCSE, it caters to those who like exams

ReputationRep:
    And so what? more to rote learn? don't forget i've done IGCSE maths and there was some stuff in normal GCSE maths that wasn't covered in IGCSE and in IGCSE, i think it was only differentiation that IGCSE maths had that normal maths didn't.

Also back in the day when my school didn't do IGCSE maths, the proportion getting A*'s, A's and such are the same as now, its not like there are less getting A*'s now with IGCSE maths than with normal GCSE maths.

So stop buzzing over the fact that your IGCSE subjects have more content, even if they do, they still have to fulfil the same criteria for education, that is why IGCSEs are grouped with GCSEs. if there was a notable difference, people much cleverer than me would have caught on and would have regarded it with much more respect.

The fact is, they have to consolidate the fact that they don't have coursework by teaching more stuff, and this in itself can be a bonus to many people taking IGCSE because some people just don't care about coursework and so it can pull their grade down, with IGCSE, it caters to those who like exams
    People cleverer than you have caught on, and do give it more respect.

ReputationRep:
    People cleverer than you have caught on, and do give it more respect.
    haha then why do you still have to fill in IGCSE's under the GCSE section on any form. gutted for your argument.

ReputationRep:
    haha then why do you still have to fill in IGCSE's under the GCSE section on any form. gutted for your argument.
    You've just owned that guy all over.

I agree with everything hallix is said, the other guy, clutching at straws.

ReputationRep:
    Harrow (cleverer than you), Eton (cleverer than you), MGS (cleverer than you), Rugby (cleverer than you), St. Paul's (cleverer than you), Winchester (cleverer than you) and many other elite schools in the country have dropped GCSEs in some subjects.

Evidently, you are not even nearly as clever as: 1. The teachers at these schools. 2. The students at these schools.

ReputationRep:
    Also, they do not have to fulfil the same criteria. That's why the government will not allow state schools to do IGCSEs, because Labour's so stuck up it's own arse that it's right about everything.

ReputationRep:
    Harrow (cleverer than you), Eton (cleverer than you), MGS (cleverer than you), Rugby (cleverer than you), St. Paul's (cleverer than you), Winchester (cleverer than you) and many other elite schools in the country have dropped GCSEs in some subjects.

Evidently, you are not even nearly as clever as: 1. The teachers at these schools. 2. The students at these schools.
    Haha don't think too highly of yourself mate. I could reel off a large amount of people in my year at school, who are going to get similar to better grades than those at MGS and on top of that have a better social life than you.

In that, oh so wide ranging list, where are universities, where are sixth forms, where is anyone in further education mate?

You think oxbridge cares? You think colleges/sixth form that ask for 5A*-C's care? You think your future employer is going to care?

IGCSEs are an EQUIVALENT to GCSEs of course they have to fulfil the same criteria unless they wouldn't be allowed full stop. Try researching it.

You think people say i got: 9A*'s in GCSE subjects and 1A* in IGCSE maths. No, they don't. They say: i got 10A*'s.

ReputationRep:
    Haha don't think too highly of yourself mate. I could reel off a large amount of people in my year at school, who are going to get similar to better grades than those at MGS and on top of that have a better social life than you.

In that, oh so wide ranging list, where are universities, where are sixth forms, where is anyone in further education mate?

You think oxbridge cares? You think colleges/sixth form that ask for 5A*-C's care? You think your future employer is going to care?

IGCSEs are an EQUIVALENT to GCSEs of course they have to fulfil the same criteria unless they wouldn't be allowed full stop. Try researching it.

You think people say i got: 9A*'s in GCSE subjects and 1A* in IGCSE maths. No, they don't. They say: i got 10A*'s.
    Each one of those schools is a sixth form too.

ReputationRep:
    Each one of those schools is a sixth form too.
    So your case is that if 6 schools care. I have to too.

Call me back when you finish sixth form at MGS and your four IGCSE subjects have made an impact on the rest of your university or job application.

ReputationRep:
    So your case is that if 6 schools care. I have to too.

Call me back when you finish sixth form at MGS and your four IGCSE subjects have made an impact on the rest of your university or job application.
    Oh, I know it won't make an impact

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I know it won't make an impact
    So you've concluded for me that they aren't better than GCSEs in any way...well thanks i guess.

ReputationRep:
    So you've concluded for me that they aren't better than GCSEs in any way...well thanks i guess.
    No, I'm concluding that [I]GCSEs won't play a major role in my application to Uni

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm concluding that [I]GCSEs won't play a major role in my application to Uni
    I don't care about this argument anymore, you don't keep your argument, you contradict yourself and you do anything for the last reply. It's not even fun anymore.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.