Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Little question!

Why is it that you have to include rest days in exercise routines? Also, if you're doing different exercises, or different types of lifts for example, do you take a break from ALL exercise, or do you just have to rest individual sets of muscles? For example, can you do lifts one day and abdo exercises another day and just alternate such that you do something every day, or do you still need to have days with no work?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand it, you're working your central nervous system, and that will need rest regardless of however you were to switch exercises around.

Also, whilst your body is repairing various muscles, and you're out hammering your others, you're just overloading yourself with muscles to repair. And your body has to manage healing.
    Both mentally and physically you could do with at least 1 rest day a week to just do nothing but heal.

ReputationRep:
    Will you muscles still grow stronger even if they are still semi aching or do you have to wait till there fully healed ie no aching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Lifting weights literally damages the muscles, so you need to rest them in order for them to repair. When they repair they regrow stronger. If you train them without them being fully recovered you might aswell have not bothered the first time.

You don't have to break from all exercise, most people use split routines where they train different muscle groups on different days.

But rest/eating/nutrition is a high percentage of the work needed if you're lifting weights.
    I've just come across the 100 pushups programme. For example then, could I do this alongside a similar sit up one, doing three days a week of pushups and three days a week of situps with one day a week off altogether?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Yeah, what i said is mainly about heavy weight lifting. Pushups/situps dont really damage your muscles that badly they would recover pretty fast.
    Nice one. Thanks for the advice, rep headed your way after 00:18!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.