Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok this thread has probs been done a BILLION times BUT still...

is my Provisional driving license good enough to use as Id for going out because i'm a newbie to this as its my 18th next week
    and all my other friends had passed before they turned 18 so they don't know?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    i've used my provisional, infact it's the only thing i've ever used my provisional for!

ReputationRep:
    provisional or full license or passport

ReputationRep:
    yes its fine

ReputationRep:
    It should be fine. If there are any problems then surely you will have some form of back-up (student ID?) or if not a passport?

ReputationRep:
    90% of the time it should be fine, but you might get some ****** who refuses it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would not recommend taking out a passport! They're expensive to replace. A provisional is accepted everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its all I have ever used :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yep its fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAwesome)
    It should be fine. If there are any problems then surely you will have some form of back-up (student ID?) or if not a passport?
    Can you use your student ID card?

Regarding the OP.. I have always used my provisional.. hate the photo on it though :p:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    90% of the time it should be fine, but you might get some ****** who refuses it.
    I don't know of anywhere that would reject a provisional licence. Driving licences (provisional and full) and passports tend to be fine; if you have any other sort of ID with the PASS logo, some places accept them but the majority don't (because they're so easy to forge).

As others have said, driving licences are much better than passports to use for ID. They're less expensive to replace, contain less information about you (so you're less susceptible to ID fraud if it's lost), aren't as bulky and that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's fine It's what i use all the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAwesome)

I would take my passport... but i'm planning to get BEYOND drunk
    + am going on holiday the next day so don't trust myself to look after it!

Ty for all your help guys

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how long a provisional lasts for? Is it just a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chantalcompowder)
    i've used my provisional, infact it's the only thing i've ever used my provisional for!
    Haha me too! That's the only reason I GOT a provisional!

ReputationRep:
    Not everywhere takes them but you'll more than likely be fine. Have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huladancingmunchkin)
    Anyone know how long a provisional lasts for? Is it just a year?
    It has a valid to date, I think its something like 50 years, but you'd have to keep replacing the photograph.

ReputationRep:
    What do you do if you don't have a provisional? I'm not learning to drive, turn 18 in November. I really don't want to take my passport out places, too valuable if I lost it!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by d123)
    What do you do if you don't have a provisional? I'm not learning to drive, turn 18 in November. I really don't want to take my passport out places, too valuable if I lost it!
    You'd have to take your passport. Why not apply for a provisional? Just because you have one doesn't mean that you ever have to learn to drive.

ReputationRep:
    Provisional licence will most likely be fine. Though round these parts, when you get to 18 and you're still flashing the green, you'd get a bit of stick :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.