Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever met someone you've met online and... watch

Announcements

were they what you expected them to be like?
    How long had you known them for?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean facially or personality?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they were how I expected, and a few months.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I met my last bf online.. we spoke on msn for about 4 to 5 months before we finally met.. and when we did he was shorter than what he had told me... but he was really lovely and we went out for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    yes, their personality was the exact same as online and well I'd see photos...
    Maybe a few months? I can't remember.

yes and 9 years

ReputationRep:
    A few months - we met and now we're like best friends - she was exactly as I expected.I try to skipover telling peoplehow we met though lol..

If you're thinking about doing it though, do be careful - I wouldn't have done it if I didn't know it was safe

ReputationRep:
    Goodness, yes.
    Met stacks of people that I first met on a forum. I'm a member of serveral classic car and hotrod forums and have met some of my closest friends through those forums at various events because we share a common interest.
    Have also met a couple of people from TSR thinking about it...

I find people are either EXACTLY as they seem online or their real life persona is wildly different from what you get accross the web. I'd like to think I was one of those people who are exactly the same on forums as they are in person.

The tabloids would have you think that everyone on the internet is a nutter, but this is far far more rare in reality than is portrayed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, knew him for about 3 or 4 months, talked on the phone as well, webcam etc. then met up
    Fell in love, we've been together for 13 months

ReputationRep:
    Yeah rolled up in my car, waited for her, got a phone call, she saw me in my car, came towards it, i hit the gas, cos jesus christ, she was ugly as hell, I never knew girls had a brain developed enough to use Photoshop.

ReputationRep:
    Talking on the phone helps!

Also they can be amazing... about 3 years... in response to your question.

Then after I went to uni... you dont know really people that well anyway ... through the internet you get to know people better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

yep, 3 years ago
    one of them became my best male friend :>

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I made a couple of friends that way and one of them ended up becoming my biology tutor for like 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    yep... I honestly don't remember how long I talked to them though.. maybe a couple of months? *shrug*

I don't know why people make such a big deal about meeting other people online... well, I do, actually.... but if you're careful you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Goodness, yes.
    Met stacks of people that I first met on a forum. I'm a member of serveral classic car and hotrod forums and have met some of my closest friends through those forums at various events because we share a common interest.
    Have also met a couple of people from TSR thinking about it...

I find people are either EXACTLY as they seem online or their real life persona is wildly different from what you get accross the web. I'd like to think I was one of those people who are exactly the same on forums as they are in person.

The tabloids would have you think that everyone on the internet is a nutter, but this is far far more rare in reality than is portrayed.
    Unfortunately I am ! ( Hehe)

But its becoming more of the norm isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    I met someone who i had talked on msn with for 2 weeks! (We had texted aswell)
    Everyone told me not to but i met up with him in a public place.
    He was as i expected although more shy.
    I was with him for 21/2 years...broke up about 2 weeks ago
    So yea although i took a risk was worth it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    Unfortunately I am ! ( Hehe)

But its becoming more of the norm isnt it?
    lol

To be honest, there's no more nutters on the internet as you are likely to find on the average street. Most people have a computer these days in this country so by and large you get a similar spread of personalities.

ReputationRep:
    No. It would be an absolute disappointment, should anyone ever meet me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we texted for a couple of weeks and met up at his.... not a great idea and wont go into details.... but lets say he wasnt anywhere near as good as his picture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    No. It would be an absolute disappointment, should anyone ever meet me.
    Don't beat yourself up love.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.