Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Howdy everyone.

I want to go to a summer school over... this summer. I'm not really too picky about what it is, I just need to know where to look to find out about availiable summer schools?
    Any ideas?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place; I didn't know where else to go

ReputationRep:
    Aw, c'mon guys...

ReputationRep:
    Was it really that hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Was it really that hard?
    ... I see...
    Please don't tell me you just googled for that...?
    I mean, I tried google, and it sucked...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh, did I mention that free ones would be good?
    The ones I've seen thus far are damn expensive

ReputationRep:
    That link is just like google - rubbish. It looked good but then when you choose your region it still has a mishmash of different ones and a lot of the courses are easter courses or just not appropriate. You cant pick by age and it misses out some that are really well known in my area like a huge cookery school with a wide range of courses - but there are no cookery things in my region; 4 for the whole country apparently. Then SW Business Courses links to SE out of date ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SabaBlackSheep)
    Oh, did I mention that free ones would be good?
    The ones I've seen thus far are damn expensive
    Free ones tend to be university funded, such as the Sutton Trust, but the deadline for that has been and gone months ago. You're a bit late OP, most people were applying for this sort of thing at the start of the year! Also, what sort of thing are you looking for, because most summer schools tend to be subject specific?

Good luck, and if you don't find a summer school you can always find something else productive such as work experience or wide reading for your school subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Free ones tend to be university funded, such as the Sutton Trust, but the deadline for that has been and gone months ago. You're a bit late OP, most people were applying for this sort of thing at the start of the year! Also, what sort of thing are you looking for, because most summer schools tend to be subject specific?

Good luck, and if you don't find a summer school you can always find something else productive such as work experience or wide reading for your school subjects.
    I know it's late, but it was only suggested to me today ):

I'm looking for something science/maths/medicine related, in terms of things which would be academically useful; but, I also have personal interest in the arts and literature- I'd do pretty much anything, really.

I can't get good medical work experience, or good voluntary work, or a proper job, because I don't turn 16 until 31st August. Sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I went on a aim higher one like last week and i think its too late now theve all been done. But aimhigher is totally free includin food and travel and it was good.. maybe apply next year. Only bad thing ihave to say about tehs ummer school is that half of us got swine flu whilst there (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually have any helpful advice, but i'm interested in all of these as well, so in the same position. Before I was 16, no one would have me for any work experience either, because i was too young, and now they just won't because they don't want me. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meandmyimaginaryfriend)
    I don't actually have any helpful advice, but i'm interested in all of these as well, so in the same position. Before I was 16, no one would have me for any work experience either, because i was too young, and now they just won't because they don't want me. Sigh.
    From what I've found, the good summer school opportunities were supposed to be applied for ages ago. You can do other summer schools, but you'll have to pay.

Residential voluntary work is availiable and it looks good- but you have to be 18 or over to do it. Quite fully booked too, but mostly free.

If you are 16, normal voluntary work is an option, I've applied for some stuff on vinspired (or something... google it?) but haven't had any replies yet.

Luck.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried your local theatre? they often have summer workshops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    have you tried your local theatre? they often have summer workshops
    At mine, there's some stuff for 'disadvantaged' people but nothing that's really suitable for me.
    Good idea though, may be helpful for the others.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.