Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

creative people... need help with some fashion D.I.Y! rep available! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok so i'm trying to customise some clothing so i can save some money and also look really cool when people ask where my stuff is from (ha!)
    so, for my current venture, i'm trying to jazz up some plain white trainer, sneaker type things i've got and whilst looking for studs online i came across this picture:

this is kind of what i'm going for but not exactly so my question is where would i be able to buy some loose studs? or do you think i'd be better off buying a cheap studded belt and just picking the studs off? and how would i attach the studs? glue?

oh and whilst i'm here, can anyone reccommend a really good black fabric pen?

thanks for any helpful replies!

ReputationRep:
    ebay or a craft/alternative store. ebay will be cheapest, just look for "pyramid studs" or something like that in the craft categories.
    generally those studs have two or four prongs on the back which stab into material then fold inwards to secure them. it's probably a good idea to attach a piece of fabric behind the studs to stop them rubbing your feet.

er fabric pen? if it must be a pen then probably a sharpie brand one. if it doesn't have to be a pen then i recommend getting a bottle of medium which you can mix with acrylic paint to turn it into really good to work with fabric paint.

btw, have you been on thisishowl or thatsjustmyvibe for these ideas? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The kind of belts that have those studs on are attached like those pins which have metal bits you fold back, so you wouldn't need glue, you could just poke them through (if you don't mind making holes in your shoes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    ebay or a craft/alternative store. ebay will be cheapest, just look for "pyramid studs" or something like that in the craft categories.
    generally those studs have two or four prongs on the back which stab into material then fold inwards to secure them. it's probably a good idea to attach a piece of fabric behind the studs to stop them rubbing your feet.

er fabric pen? if it must be a pen then probably a sharpie brand one. if it doesn't have to be a pen then i recommend getting a bottle of medium which you can mix with acrylic paint to turn it into really good to work with fabric paint.

btw, have you been on thisishowl or thatsjustmyvibe for these ideas? :p:
    thanks for the help! i've just found an ebay shop that does loadss of studs which is cool :smile:
    well i thought of doing something with my white trainers involving studs so i was looking around on the fashion blogs i regularly visit for ideas and then i found a link to the thisishowl blog which is where i got that picture yeah! i've never heard of the thatsjustmyvibe one though...
    i just saw this picture on the jak&jill blog and i REALLY want to do some of these jeans now!

might hurt when i sit down though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elziebelzie)
    thanks for the help! i've just found an ebay shop that does loadss of studs which is cool :smile:
    well i thought of doing something with my white trainers involving studs so i was looking around on the fashion blogs i regularly visit for ideas and then i found a link to the thisishowl blog which is where i got that picture yeah! i've never heard of the thatsjustmyvibe one though...
    i just saw this picture on the jak&jill blog and i REALLY want to do some of these jeans now!

don't sit down or line behind the studs with leather? i love that look but i can't handle denim
    i have a few too many blazers and i reeeally want to stud the lepels or shoulders on one of them

thatsjustmyvibe is the old thisishowl, i still browse it sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    don't sit down or line behind the studs with leather? i love that look but i can't handle denim
    i have a few too many blazers and i reeeally want to stud the lepels or shoulders on one of them

thatsjustmyvibe is the old thisishowl, i still browse it sometimes.
    i don't wear jeans AT ALL because i find them sort of... i don't know - dull (not to mention uncomfy)? but i like the idea of having something a bit unique so i'll definitely give those jeans a go.
    i've really wanted a blazer for ages but i can't justify spending loads on something i'll probably only wear for a season before i get bored with it. i saw a blazer with the lepels studded in zara (or maybe river island?) and it was SO nice but the shoulder thing sounds really original - i'd give it a go if i were you :yes:

ReputationRep:
    those jeans loo amazing thats a real kool idea to put studs on the bac pockets of jeans like that I dont ever wear jeans though there too uncomfortable for me im a leggings girl now!

ReputationRep:
    I did some ballet flats which you can see here: http://harleygrant.blogspot.com/2009...avy-metal.html. There's a link to a tutorial for the same project on there, as well. I'm really into studded anything (I blame my inner Goth) so I have a lot of To-Do ideas. I really like these but I'm sure I can do that myself so I'm considering sacrificing my ex-issue paramilitary boots. I want to do part of a bag as well, and something with jeans, though I'm not sure what, yet. I like the idea you posted, though (Jak & Jil?) so I might give that a go.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to get the studs at a craft store, or as you said go to Claires accesories or something and buy a cheap studded belt. You could probably attach them with a glue gun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elziebelzie)

Awesome! :yes: Definitely do this.

ReputationRep:
    Try ebay for the pyramid studs. When I was toying with jewellery making I got a lot of my supplies from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-Square-PYR...d=p3286.c0.m14

Don't know much about fabric pens, they do tend to fade though. Sharpie is probably your best bet.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.