Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And here is some evidence about anti-cancer properties of cannabis that the lung cancer article mentions:

http://blog.norml.org/2009/07/17/a-tale-of-two-studies/

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7842

(Original post by Ayla Phoenix)
    Listen ... I don't want to sound like the geriatric conservative here, I'm not saying the occasional spliff is going to kill you, but it's definitely not harmless.

The potential psychological triggers are freaking scary.
    :woo: WEED WILL KILLS US ALLLL :woo:

(Original post by She_said)
    :hmmm:
    No offence, but scientific evidence (or the lack of it) trumps personal anecdotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    HAhaha :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Listen ... I don't want to sound like the geriatric conservative here, I'm not saying the occasional spliff is going to kill you, but it's definitely not harmless.

The potential psychological triggers are freaking scary.
    It's completely harmless on it's own and no fair scientific study has been carried out to show otherwise. The only tests that have been carried out are memory tests on mice and showed that younger mice are more likely to be affected at a younger age than adoscelent. Under the assumption that mice are different to humans, this test is a sh1tter and once again is inconclusive. Stop believing the lies. Ask yourself why tobacco and alcohol aren't illegal but a plant sent down by God is? $$$.

ReputationRep:

harrruummppphh! I'm onto you! :rolleyes: No more indignant or sarcastic replies from me to you, I know how you roll playa

(Original post by She_said)
    HAhaha :ahee:

harrruummppphh! I'm onto you! No more indignant or sarcastic replies from me to you, I know how you roll playa
    I'm sorry, please don't hurt me :bawling:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm pulling your leg. Stop being so easy, foo

ReputationRep:
    Yay, drugs! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Articles debunking claim that cannabis causes mental illness:

Familial Predisposition for Psychiatric Disorder
    Comparison of Subjects Treated for Cannabis-Induced Psychosis and Schizophrenia
    Mikkel Arendt, MScPsych, PhD; Preben B. Mortensen, DrMedSc; Raben Rosenberg, DrMedSc;
    Carsten B. Pedersen, MSc; Berit L. Waltoft, MSc

"Conclusions Predisposition to both psychiatric disorders in general and psychotic disorders specifically contributes equally to the risk of later treatment because of schizophrenia and cannabis-induced psychoses. Cannabis-induced psychosis could be an early sign of schizophrenia rather than a distinct clinical entity."

AND:
    http://blog.norml.org/2009/07/01/stu...ental-illness/

"“[T]he expected rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia and psychoses did not occur over a 10 year period. This study does not therefore support the specific causal link between cannabis use and incidence of psychotic disorders. … This concurs with other reports indicating that increases in population cannabis use have not been followed by increases in psychotic incidence.”

The article referred to is called

Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005

Martin Frisher a,⁎, Ilana Crome b, Orsolina Martino a, Peter Croft c
    a
    Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom
    b
    Academic Psychiatry Unit, Keele University Medical School, Harplands Hospital, Hilton Road, Staffordshire, ST6 4TH, United Kingdom
    c
    Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom

ReputationRep:
    weed can properly make you psychotic...WATCH OUT! Weed WILL kill us all. lol

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28930236&hl=en

It's especially awesome if you're high while you watch.

I'm told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28930236&hl=en

It's especially awesome if you're high while you watch.

I'm told.
    You're only allowed to watch it when you're high. Srsly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezM)
    It's completely harmless on it's own and no fair scientific study has been carried out to show otherwise. The only tests that have been carried out are memory tests on mice and showed that younger mice are more likely to be affected at a younger age than adoscelent. Under the assumption that mice are different to humans, this test is a sh1tter and once again is inconclusive. Stop believing the lies. Ask yourself why tobacco and alcohol aren't illegal but a plant sent down by God is? $$$.

If you like, but I think it will be futile, I can link you to studies enacted on human subjects in direct correlation with marijuana use. It's a sprawling overgeneralisation to make that only mice are employed for marijuana related studies. No one is under the presumption that mice are exactly the same as humans, but the correlation between some sectors of the human genome and the genetic construction of mice exists. Strong molecular connection between individual genes on the genome and specific developmental processes in both mice and men are the founding premise upon why we test on mice in some situations. And it is within those boundaries, in the similarities, that tests can be fairly conducted and if not used as substantial claims on their own, to support studies used on humans.

As for your plant 'sent by God' claim, cocaine is extracted and manufactured from coca leaves. I get the sentiment you were trying to convey but it doesn't hold water.

ReputationRep:
    I would think it depends on how often you do it. I don't think it's a good idea to do it every day, but every so often is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to Frank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezM)
    Ask yourself why tobacco and alcohol aren't illegal but a plant sent down by God is? $$$.
    So the tobacco plant was sent by satan eh?

lol @ religious inconsistency.

(Original post by no-sunlight)
    Talk to Frank
    If he wanted fallacious nonsense he would've done that already.

ReputationRep:
    Hyperthetically, the ornly prawblem is lorng tem praranoiar.
    Epic, I laughed pretty hard.

Paranoia can be a big problem though.

(Original post by You Failed)
    Epic, I laughed pretty hard.

Paranoia can be a big problem though.
    I don't mean to sound like a rep whore, but i think you owe me some pos for making you nearly die from laughter :woo:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm such a filthy rep whore

ReputationRep:
    As for your plant 'sent by God' claim, cocaine is extracted and manufactured from coca leaves. I get the sentiment you were trying to convey but it doesn't hold water.
    Are you saying cocaine is evil? :eek: It has other uses. It's can also be used as a local anaesthetic in medicine. It should be legalised for that reason IMO.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.