Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Are they allowed?
    I have a zippo lighter, and since I'm only going to Berlin I thought I'd pack everything in my hand luggage. I can't leave it at home since my mum doesn't know I smoke, and she always looks through my stuff.

ReputationRep:
    No.

You could double check with your airline, but I'd be amazed if they let you on a flight these days with one.

ReputationRep:
    nope afraid not

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're allowed. So are safety matches. Only non-safety matches are banned. Interestingly, lighters are NOT allowed in your main luggage.

Also, some airlines don't allow disposable lighters. And you can only carry ONE proper lighter.

Where are you going? In the USA you can only take empty lighters i.e. it can't have any lighter fuel in it.

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure your allowed 1

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know you can't have them in your main luggage as they can spark and set fire to the whole plane. The last flight I went on you were allowed a safety lighter (I think that's one of the ones with the cover that you have to physically lift up to get a flame so there's no accidental lighting going on).

As a safer option you could bin your lighter at the airport and then buy a new one when you get there? It's fairly cheap to do so and that reduces the risk of your mom finding it if you leave it at home and you're not missing out as you can't smoke on the plane anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I had my knock off zippo I bought in Thailand taken off my only 6 days ago by Security at the airport. It was empty too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by haz220807)
    As far as I know you can't have them in your main luggage as they can spark and set fire to the whole plane. The last flight I went on you were allowed a safety lighter (I think that's one of the ones with the cover that you have to physically lift up to get a flame so there's no accidental lighting going on).

As a safer option you could bin your lighter at the airport and then buy a new one when you get there? It's fairly cheap to do so and that reduces the risk of your mom finding it if you leave it at home and you're not missing out as you can't smoke on the plane anyway.
    It's an £80 Zippo... I wouldn't be asking otherwise!

but thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are allowed to carry it. I fly very regularly and always carry it. At Heathrow it's useless since they have taken out the smoking areas.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OK thanks everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I'd check - when I flew a few weeks ago they made everyone with a lighter throw it out

ReputationRep:
    1 Lighter or 1 pack of safety matches per person.

I would take a disposable tho just incase someone thinks different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    Are they allowed?
    I have a zippo lighter, and since I'm only going to Berlin I thought I'd pack everything in my hand luggage. I can't leave it at home since my mum doesn't know I smoke, and she always looks through my stuff.

You actually are allowed on some flights, one REFILLABLE lighter, as long as the fluid is absorbed (into the material inside, so no throwaway ones where you can see the liquid).

ReputationRep:
    I flew from Edinburgh to A'dam and forgot to put my zippo in my main luggage. What I've got is a metal cigarette case and I put it in there after taking it apart and throwing out the soaked cotton. Had to run it through the scanner and it worked like a dream.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bennh)
    You actually are allowed on some flights, one REFILLABLE lighter, as long as the fluid is absorbed (into the material inside, so no throwaway ones where you can see the liquid).
    It's on of those ones where the fluid is fully absorbed...
    so it's all cool!

Thanks!

What about if you just buy one in Berlin if you're really that desperate to smoke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    It's on of those ones where the fluid is fully absorbed...
    so it's all cool!

Thanks!

Just remember to make sure with your airline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What about if you just buy one in Berlin if you're really that desperate to smoke?
    Because her mum is nosy and will find her lighter when she's away.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Because her mum is nosy and will find her lighter when she's away.
    Give it to a friend to keep? Like her mum will be *that* nosy.

Then she can buy one in Berlin.

When she comes back to the UK, she can get it off her friend.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a 50p little cheapo lighter in future!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.