Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Because they're updated stories, that's what happens on websites, who wants to read old news when more has happened concerning it. Wtf are you on about it doesn't mention the original incident, read the opening paragraphs.
    It's not even what I said, I was talking about TV channels showing the news, not websites. Anything on TV always gathers more importance and isn't shoved away, more noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    :rolleyes:

It's illegal for a woman to be outside unaccompanied by a male relative or husband.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7201643.stm

Now at least they can stay in hotels by themselves. :rolleyes: And yet you're whining about an isolated incident in Germany? Pathetic.
    But Germany claim to be a country of justice and democracy, both of which failed to show on this occasion.

ReputationRep:
    If she tried to do this in Saudi Arabia, she'd be turned away for not having male witnesses. :rolleyes:

And you watch those channels 24/7?
    Yeah because news channels change all the previous news the had the hour before for fresh new ones :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How the heck does a person getting killed in a courtroom by a private individual somehow change the fact that Germany follows the rule of law and is a democracy? :rolleyes:

Your logic:

Bread tastes bad.
    Therefore, Germans are Nazis.
    Why was this woman not provided with sufficient security? Why was this guy able to run across a courtroom and stab her 18 times? Why was her husband "mistaken" for the stabber?

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

It's illegal for a woman to be outside unaccompanied by a male relative or husband.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7201643.stm

Now at least they can stay in hotels by themselves. :rolleyes: And yet you're whining about an isolated incident in Germany? Pathetic.

So why aren't you whining about the innocent Muslim women who have virtually no rights in numerous Muslim countries? Or about the thousands of murders of Muslim women in "honor killings" in Pakistan alone? Is it only interesting if it happens in a non-Muslim country?
    All those above things are wrong and unfortunate, they should be reported on more. It's not Islamic law, there is no country in the world that follows the Sharia 100%, some take parts and other distort and abuse the laws so it benefits them. Don't for a second think that Saudi Arabia for instance follow the Sharia law when their statemen and royalty are above it and do as they please. Honor killings aren't part of Islam, it's completely cultural thing which is absolutely disgusting. All of those things should be highlighted, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    The headscarf martyr: murder in German court sparks Egyptian fury

Now I just caught the wiff of this news and it's appaling that it isn't reported more in the media. How on earth could a man stab someone so many times in a courtroom let alone be aloned in with a knife? Whilst at the same time her husband gets shot by the police whilst he is trying to stop the accuser because he was mistook for as the attacker! Come on.

Had the murdered woman been a of any other religious persuasion or the attacker been a Muslim this would have gained alot more attention, which is the sad part.
    What, gained more attention? Even the presidents/chancellors of the two countries have commented on this. How often do Merkel and Brown issue statements when a British tourist/migrant dies in Germany or vice versa?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    :facepalm2:

This is an unusual thing. A courtroom murder, which makes one concerned about Germany's security. It is in the general European interest to know of such heinous crimes, and condemn them fully.
    Anger, hatred, grief, and whatnot, may be negative emotions, but they are necessary emotions. If this was just covered up, then it would be seen as a conspiracy. There would be even less sense in keeping this incident quiet.

The murderer should be executed. He said that she did not deserve to live, but he was wrong. HE is the person who doesn't deserve to live, for murdering a pregnant mother in a court of law.
    You didn't bring up any points that I haven't already addressed in my previous post, so I won't repeat myself in that respect. The only new point you've brought up is the part about it needing European coverage in order to "condemn them (sic) fully". I'm interested to know why you feel this family's grief needs to be known to the world for the German courts to judge this man? Do you think they'd set him free if this didn't get mass-media coverage?

"An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind." -Mahatma Gandhi

ReputationRep:
    If she tried to do this in Saudi Arabia, she'd be turned away for not having male witnesses. :rolleyes:

And you watch those channels 24/7?
    Well, this WOULD never have happened in Saudi Arabia because wearing the headscarf is kind of a formality and anyways I dont think that men are even allowed anywhere near women in the courtroom so yea :p:

and about the male witness part....lol :p: this could have happened for some other reason though but not a headscarf for sure :p:

ReputationRep:
    Who said anything about Shari'a law? The point is that there are thousands of Muslim women being killed in Pakistan each year, with a vast majority of their killers not being brought to justice, yet you choose to be outraged about one Muslim woman being killed in Germany.
    I'll have to agree with you here. Although, the news is extrmely horrible.

ReputationRep:
    the thing that upsets me about this is all, is that her son was there and witnessed it. i feel so bad for him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenzel)
    None of those are reasons. What good can come from the entire world knowing about a murder? What are you going to go do now that you know about it? I'm willing to bet you'll do nothing productive with your freshly gained knowledge. On top of that, the third point is pure speculation with no basis in reality. Murders happen in countries that have a "well-developed, wealthy state [and a] democratic government and a 'solid' justice system" all the time. There is only one part that makes this case unique - it happened in a court room. A German court - nothing whatsoever to do with the UK, hence it is none of our business.

Like I said in my orignal post, nothing productive can be gained by giving this mass-media coverage. Doing so can only induce anger, hatred and grief (again, proven by this thread and the article itself) as well as cause even more problems for the family, who I am willing to bet would much rather mourn in peace and deal with the problem without the media plastering their grief for the world to see just because some people feel victimised on their behalf.

The only thing that would make this mass-news worthy is if the Germans were ignoring it and pretending like nothing happened. But they're not doing that are they? They're investigating and reviewing court security and it's highly unlikely they'll let the murderer walk free. What more do you expect from them? Hindsight is a *****.
    But you could argue the exact same thing for an article on the front page of a newspaper... 'what good can come from the entire world knowing about' 'pepsi (being) mystified by Jackson clip'?

The media is undoubtedly flawed. What this thread is discussing is 'why won't the media delve into this case' when they're finding more than enough time for other, more ludicrous things? They're showing an intense bias for towards a certain group of people, whether they be celebrities, presidents or people of a certain race or religion.

It doesn't matter where something happens. Borders shouldn't decide whether a certain matter - i.e. the murder that occured in one of the courts of a well-developed country - has an impact here or there.

And I'd be slightly surprised if the family wouldnt want this to escalate. Someone important to them has died in a situation where they should not have died. They should be angry. Having everyone else react in a similar manner - outside the country as well as within it - puts an almost constant pressure on not only the german government, but all functioning governments to change things with immediate effect. Rather than having them brush the entire affair under the carpet/stall for an incredibly long time/claim that they don't have the 'money' to introduce higher security measures. 'Investigating and reviewing' is just BS. We know what happened. They know what happened. They just need to change things around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    Why was this woman not provided with sufficient security?
    I haven't read about the case more than on here. It sounds like this happened in a civil court?

In Germany, in general there are no security checks in civil cases for anyone. I'm not sure what the official reason is, but policing civilians without reasonable suspicion is probably seen as infringing on people's rights.

Anyway,

Why was this guy able to run across a courtroom and stab her 18 times? Why was her husband "mistaken" for the stabber?
    that really is shocking.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard anything about this. Shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    I haven't anything about this. Shocking.
    You learn something new everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    But you could argue the exact same thing for an article on the front page of a newspaper... 'what good can come from the entire world knowing about' 'pepsi (being) mystified by Jackson clip'?

The media is undoubtedly flawed. What this thread is discussing is 'why won't the media delve into this case' when they're finding more than enough time for other, more ludicrous things? They're showing an intense bias for towards a certain group of people, whether they be celebrities, presidents or people of a certain race or religion.

It doesn't matter where something happens. Borders shouldn't decide whether a certain matter - i.e. the murder that occured in one of the courts of a well-developed country - has an impact here or there.

And I'd be slightly surprised if the family wouldnt want this to escalate. Someone important to them has died in a situation where they should not have died. They should be angry. Having everyone else react in a similar manner - outside the country as well as within it - puts an almost constant pressure on not only the german government, but all functioning governments to change things with immediate effect. Rather than having them brush the entire affair under the carpet/stall for an incredibly long time/claim that they don't have the 'money' to introduce higher security measures. 'Investigating and reviewing' is just BS. We know what happened. They know what happened. They just need to change things around.
    I would and do argue the exact same thing about those other articles, it just happens that this article is specific to the thread and it is this article people are saying needs more coverage, hence I have no need to mention those other ones.

And the borders in a case such as this do matter. It was a German court, the problems are with the security in a German court, the problem is a German problem. If we treated every national problem as an internation catastrophe then we'd never get anything done. The "borders" are there for a practical reason.

The murder has received plenty of coverage in the country that it is relevant too - Germany and rightly so since it is German citizens it effects, since if court security is lax, then it is them in danger. But that doesn't mean it needs mass-media worldwide coverage like you and other people in this thread are suggesting. It does nothing productive. It is infact the opposite of productive.

The coverage its received in Germany is enough to cause their goverment to act, "investigating and reviewing" isn't BS like you suggest - it is necessary. What else do you expect them to do? Before they can commit to any action they need to fully understand exactly what happened (since there are many unanswered questions, a big one being how did the husband get mistaken as the culprit?). All we know about the case is what the media have reported, that is not enough to decide what actions need to be taken.

You can say "raise security, duh", but to what extent? Things like this need investigating and planning; both of which take longer than two weeks to do thoroughly. There's also the fact this was in a small claims court and as far we know the man had no previous history of violence and certainly not of murder. Saying it needs world wide coverage in order to rush the German government into action is simply irresponsible and rash.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhhh noessss. She died and they didn't report it...

stop crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)

stop crying
    Wow, pretty extreme man with your whole superior apathy about it. It's not like someone has died or something :woo:

ReputationRep:
    If anything happens to a westerner in a Muslim country the whole world goes into an uproar. Gillian Gibbons for example got so much media attention over that ridiculous charge but she only got 15 days in prison and then got PARDONED, that sex on the beach couple etc..... This woman was a resident in Germany and got stabbed 18 times then the police followed to shoot her husband as he tried to help her. If this had happened to a western woman in an Egyptian courtroom we'd be basically in a different world now.

I've hardly seen any serious coverage on the matter. Reporting and coverage are two different things. The story being reported on in the middle pages of a newspaper or at midnight at those 24/7 news channels doesn't make it enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)

stop crying
    Okay let's kill you and stay quiet about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    But Germany claim to be a country of justice and democracy, both of which failed to show on this occasion.
    Stop trying to make an isolated incident by a lone hate-filled nutter a reflection of German/Western society. You sound as moronic as those people who claim all muslims are terrorists.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.