The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Barça
Just realised that her 3 year old son was in the courtroom whilst all this happened :frown:

That's awful :frown:
its foreign. anything goes in foreign land
Reply 82
BrightGirl
Hang on, she was stabbed 18 times while there were police officers in the room? And when her husband tried to help, a police officer shot him down, MISTAKING him for the stabber? Can someone explain?

The husband wasn't mistaken for the stabber, but was mistaken for being another attacker.

But yeah, it is incredibly screwed up.
Reply 83
Barça
Had the murdered woman been a of any other religious persuasion or the attacker been a Muslim this would have gained alot more attention, which is the sad part.

Do you have evidence to support this claim?
Reply 84
Diaz89
If anything happens to a westerner in a Muslim country the whole world goes into an uproar. Gillian Gibbons for example got so much media attention over that ridiculous charge but she only got 15 days in prison and then got PARDONED, that sex on the beach couple etc..... This woman was a resident in Germany and got stabbed 18 times then the police followed to shoot her husband as he tried to help her. If this had happened to a western woman in an Egyptian courtroom we'd be basically in a different world now.

I've hardly seen any serious coverage on the matter. Reporting and coverage are two different things. The story being reported on in the middle pages of a newspaper or at midnight at those 24/7 news channels doesn't make it enough.

Gillian Gibbons was a British woman and so got top priority in British media. How much coverage do you think she got in middle-eastern countries?:rolleyes: How much live TV coverage did Al jazeera or Al Arabiya give her? Gillian Gibbons is a strawman argument.

This case is an Egyptian woman who got news coverage in Egypt for being Egyptian and Germany due to it being a German court.
Shayke
The husband wasn't mistaken for the stabber, but was mistaken for being another attacker.

But yeah, it is incredibly screwed up.

Sounds like he was!

As Okaz ran to save her, he too was brought down, shot by a police officer who mistook him for the attacker.
Reply 86
BrightGirl
Sounds like he was!

According to that report, yeah lol.

Others I've read say something more along the lines of being mistaken for 'an' attacker, rather than 'the'.

But yeah...
Reply 87
Diaz89
If anything happens to a westerner in a Muslim country the whole world goes into an uproar. Gillian Gibbons for example got so much media attention over that ridiculous charge but she only got 15 days in prison and then got PARDONED, that sex on the beach couple etc..... This woman was a resident in Germany and got stabbed 18 times then the police followed to shoot her husband as he tried to help her. If this had happened to a western woman in an Egyptian courtroom we'd be basically in a different world now.

I've hardly seen any serious coverage on the matter. Reporting and coverage are two different things. The story being reported on in the middle pages of a newspaper or at midnight at those 24/7 news channels doesn't make it enough.

Spot on :yy:
Wenzel
You didn't bring up any points that I haven't already addressed in my previous post, so I won't repeat myself in that respect. The only new point you've brought up is the part about it needing European coverage in order to "condemn them (sic) fully". I'm interested to know why you feel this family's grief needs to be known to the world for the German courts to judge this man? Do you think they'd set him free if this didn't get mass-media coverage?

"An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind." -Mahatma Gandhi

If the public eye is focused on this heinous act, then that can set the stage for a reaction to it. Also, I believe that it is right to condemn acts of evil at every turn. The alternative is saying little or nothing. This is one of the first crimes of its kind in Europe, which brings to light both courtroom security and the extent of some peoples' racism and bigotry.
It's not just about crime and punishment, it's a social issue. There is no reason why this should not receive strong media coverage.

That is a well meaning, but misguided doctrine, and it's not just about vengeance but punishment for wrongdoing, for breaking the law and wronging another person most severely. It has become clear in my eyes that some things can't be settled by holding back the sword.
Reply 89
Bismarck
Are you totally incapable of differentiating between deliberate state policy and a one-off accident?

If the West is so intolerant toward Muslims, why do you live here?

Everyone in the West isn't, the media is and some of the general public. As for your question it was the first place to take my country on due to civil war back home, which still exists.
Reply 90
Why was she suing him for insulting her at a playground? Pretty ridiculous.
Barça
Everyone in the West isn't, the media is and some of the general public. As for your question it was the first place to take my country on due to civil war back home, which still exists.

off topic: where are you from barca?
Reply 92
Wenzel
Gillian Gibbons was a British woman and so got top priority in British media. How much coverage do you think she got in middle-eastern countries?:rolleyes: How much live TV coverage did Al jazeera or Al Arabiya give her? Gillian Gibbons is a strawman argument.

This case is an Egyptian woman who got news coverage in Egypt for being Egyptian and Germany due to it being a German court.

No this became an international issue, American, Canadian,Asian etc... it was a silly issue to begin with but it was as if Western people could do nothing wrong and these Muslims were out of their mind to touch her. I fully sympathize with your point that because she was a British woman she got more coverage, however the funny thing is Muslims do not see it this way. Whenever a westerner/ non British person is hurt it become an international news story. Look at the point of that IDF Israeli prisoner Gilad Shaliet, how many of us know his name but I can guarantee you no one knows the name of a single one of the 10000 Palestinian prisoners.
Reply 93
Bismarck
Are you totally incapable of differentiating between deliberate state policy and a one-off accident?

One-off accident? In a first world modern, civil, industrialized country this was a woman slaughtered inside a court of law with police officers/guards standing around who then shot her husband, this is not a one off accident this is unprecedented and the media coverage it received in a sense conveyed that this was some sort of protocol?

Imagine if this happened in an Islamic country how much press coverage do you think it will receive

Bismarck
If the West is so intolerant toward Muslims, why do you live here?

This is not about tolerance or intolerance this is about double standards. It makes it appear that people's lives are worth more than others.
Reply 94
Bismarck
I repeat. Your logic:

Bread is bad.
Therefore, Germans are Nazis.

Which double standards are those? :rolleyes: Is it German state policy to kill Muslims? Or was the reason the Muslim woman was in court was to protect her rights? :rolleyes:

You mean the media that have reported widely on this issue? Or are you carefully following the German media?

The media in general is, every time there is a case with Muslims being invovled it's always mentioned, even though the story has no bearing or nothing to do with ones religious fate.
Reply 95
ahmadjan3
off topic: where are you from barca?

Somalia.
Wenzel

I guess I can vouch for the whole citizen-coverage theory. For example, I'm an American, and I have no idea what the crap you're talking about. I've never even heard of this Gillian Gibbons person.
Reply 97
DC Doberman
I guess I can vouch for the whole citizen-coverage theory. For example, I'm an American, and I have no idea what the crap you're talking about. I've never even heard of this Gillian Gibbons person.

I was in Sweden at that time and I knew about it.
Barça
I was in Sweden at that time and I knew about it.

Good for you. The point is it wasn't big news. On the other hand, I HAVE heard about this Egyptian woman being stabbed in Germany...
Reply 99
To be honest, if this incident had the same coverage as Michael Jackson's death, I bet people in this thread would still be whining and crying victim.

Latest

Trending

Trending