Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DC Doberman)
    Good for you. The point is it wasn't big news. On the other hand, I HAVE heard about this Egyptian woman being stabbed in Germany...
    LOL, my point was to isolated cases doesn't prove anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Somalia.
    somalians in my school was nice people but you come across as a tit or maybe its the internet or maybe you support barca :p:

i know this phrase from my mate in school (aba hawas) :p: used to say it to him everytime :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    In a first world modern, civil, industrialized country this was a woman slaughtered inside a court of law with police officers/guards standing around who then shot her husband.
    Apparently there were no police officers/guards standing around. There was ONE police officer, not in the room, but in another room in the building (apparently testifying in another case), who had to be called to the courtroom in question.

I've been to an upper civil court in a state capital in Germany and this appears to be normal (civil courts are separate buildings from criminal courts, where security is different). The guy could just as easily have stabbed the judge.

The thing I find shocking is not the lack of security (again this is normal for civil courts) but the fact that the police officer who was finally called shot the husband.. Sure, he wasn't there to see how the fight started, but I cannot see how to explain his actions unless in his mind "brown person = attacker"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenzel)
    None of those are reasons. What good can come from the entire world knowing about a murder? What are you going to go do now that you know about it? I'm willing to bet you'll do nothing productive with your freshly gained knowledge. On top of that, the third point is pure speculation with no basis in reality. Murders happen in countries that have a "well-developed, wealthy state [and a] democratic government and a 'solid' justice system" all the time. There is only one part that makes this case unique - it happened in a court room. A German court - nothing whatsoever to do with the UK, hence it is none of our business.

Like I said in my orignal post, nothing productive can be gained by giving this mass-media coverage. Doing so can only induce anger, hatred and grief (again, proven by this thread and the article itself) as well as cause even more problems for the family, who I am willing to bet would much rather mourn in peace and deal with the problem without the media plastering their grief for the world to see just because some people feel victimised on their behalf.

The only thing that would make this mass-news worthy is if the Germans were ignoring it and pretending like nothing happened. But they're not doing that are they? They're investigating and reviewing court security and it's highly unlikely they'll let the murderer walk free. What more do you expect from them? Hindsight is a *****.
    What an absolutely ridiculous point. By the same token, one can argue that any murder, taking place anywhere, shouldn't be given mass media coverage because "nothing productive" will come of it. Why should the american journalist who got arrested in Iran receive so much attention, but not this? Why should we know about Burlesconi's love affairs, but not this? Neither story has anything to do with us, in the UK, but both were given column-inch a plenty!

And this wasn't a normal murder, not by any stretch of the imagination. It is a highly unusual case of a pregnant woman being stabbed in a courtroom because she wore a headscarf. From what I've read, and I may be wrong, but the story didn't even receive much coverage in Germany! Which is just beyond belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haksa)
    What an absolutely ridiculous point. By the same token, one can argue that any murder, taking place anywhere, shouldn't be given mass media coverage because "nothing productive" will come of it. Why should the american journalist who got arrested in Iran receive so much attention, but not this? Why should we know about Burlesconi's love affairs, but not this? Neither story has anything to do with us, in the UK, but both were given column-inch a plenty!

And this wasn't a normal murder, not by any stretch of the imagination. It is a highly unusual case of a pregnant woman being stabbed in a courtroom because she wore a headscarf. From what I've read, and I may be wrong, but the story didn't even receive much coverage in Germany! Which is just beyond belief.
    "Other more irrelevant/less sensational stories get plenty of coverage, so why not this?". Hm, indeed. :rolleyes: As I said in an earlier post, I'd propose the same argue towards any of those articles. It's just that this article is relevant to this thread so I felt no need to bring up other irrelevant articles in the media and go on a tirade about how flawed the media is. This fact was already mentioned earlier, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering to repeat myself.

No one has said this is a "normal" murder. You haven't brought up any new points so I won't repeat myself again, so read my earlier posts in this thread if you'd like to know my response.

(Original post by Diaz89)
    No this became an international issue, American, Canadian,Asian etc... it was a silly issue to begin with but it was as if Western people could do nothing wrong and these Muslims were out of their mind to touch her. I fully sympathize with your point that because she was a British woman she got more coverage, however the funny thing is Muslims do not see it this way. Whenever a westerner/ non British person is hurt it become an international news story. Look at the point of that IDF Israeli prisoner Gilad Shaliet, how many of us know his name but I can guarantee you no one knows the name of a single one of the 10000 Palestinian prisoners.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's based on far too many assumptions. It hasn't became an international issue, it's an issue with German court security. It wasn't even a criminal court case - it was in a civil court, for an appeal over the man's fine from the verbal attacks. He was Russian, and if media reports can be trusted he had no previous history of violence. I'm willing to bet court security is always a minimum for these types of trials, something that is likely to change now. If you meant Gillian Gibbons became an international issue (media wise I mean, obviously politically it was an international issue)...well, it didn't. Outside of the UK it got barely any coverage; she got a similar amount this Egyptian lady is getting.

Even if she did get a whole lot of international coverage (and she didn't), the argument that the media is massively flawed and gives lots of coverage to other incidents doesn't hold much weight with me. It's like saying a child with parents who are morbidly obese due to over-eating and also lives on a street of morbidly obese over-eaters, should also over-eat because that what his parents and the rest of the street do normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenzel)
    I understand where you're coming from, but I think it's based on far too many assumptions. It hasn't became an international issue, it's an issue with German court security. It wasn't even a criminal court case - it was in a civil court, for an appeal over the man's fine from the verbal attacks. He was Russian, and if media reports can be trusted he had no previous history of violence. I'm willing to bet court security is always a minimum for these types of trials, something that is likely to change now. [...]
    Indeed, here in Germany we normally don't have much violence in civil courts and we don't assume anyone to randomly kill people... This of course, will change now, sad enough.

Well, thats the one thing, the other thing is, here in Germany this got so much media coverage, its insane! All kind of people tell us now, how racist and evil we are (the criminal was russian:rolleyes: ). Just to give you some data to compare:
    http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/...ge-417118.html
    Afghan kills his (german) "wife according to Afghan law", she wasnt married to him under any law, she just wanted to go outside without his admission. -media coverage: low-

http://www.welt.de/vermischtes/artic...erstochen.html
    German tourist stabbed to death in Istanbul. Although the next hospital was only 2 minutes away, it took the ambulance 30 minutes so the guy died. -media coverage, high, but still much less than in the courst murder case! I didn't here a single voice in the media accusing the Turkish of racism or insulted them openly!

Why the **** do we always have to keep silent if others insult us, but if its the other way around - which happens much more often- we are like: "ohh okay, dont do it again, would ya?"

I dont want in any way excuse this foul and mad murder of this poor woman, she didnt deserve this at all!
    But nonmuslim victims deserve a similar sympathy, THIS is double standart.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bizarre story. Perhaps the OP will be attending the funeral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    I would never trust a German police officer to protect a Muslim person... never.
    I wouldn't trust any islamic nation to treat all of it's citizens equally let alone foreigners. We have seen what has happened to religious minorities and the ridiculous punishments given out.

Yes this is tragic news, but at least the constitution of Germany is fair, so they will undoubtedly have a thorough investigation and learn from their mistakes. There will be compensation for the victims husband and punishment for the attacker. Yes it's not ideal but at least they will try and correct it.

In islamic nations most of these things go unreported and just hidden away forever like a dirty secret, all those domestic abuses, all those attacks on religious minorities and rich people getting away with crime.

So please spare us your "sob act," I've seen plenty of your posts and you're nothing short of a muslim fanatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    I repeat. Your logic:

Bread is bad.
    Therefore, Germans are Nazis.

Which double standards are those? :rolleyes: Is it German state policy to kill Muslims? Or was the reason the Muslim woman was in court was to protect her rights? :rolleyes:

You mean the media that have reported widely on this issue? Or are you carefully following the German media?
    Most muslims are emotionally charged slaves of Allah so fail to understand this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    I wouldn't trust any islamic nation to treat all of it's citizens equally let alone foreigners. We have seen what has happened to religious minorities and the ridiculous punishments given out.

In islamic nations most of these things go unreported and just hidden away forever like a dirty secret, all those domestic abuses, all those attacks on religious minorities and rich people getting away with crime.

So please spare us your "sob act," I've seen plenty of your posts and you're nothing short of a muslim fanatic.
    Funny how Malcolm X said he found equality in Saudi Arabia while he was preforming Haj which made him stop hating non black/Muslim people in the United States :rolleyes:

Ahh yes the great US, 50 years ago blacks couldn't be in the same classroom/drink from the same water fountain/ride at the back of the bus and they were lynched at every corner in the South.

I also remember that those supposedly Islamic countries are secular dictatorships countries that are supported by the US for that very fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Most muslims are emotionally charged slaves of Allah so fail to understand this.
    No most muslims are sick of a 200 year old stolen country telling them to change 1400 years of history,culture and values.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of goddamn court is this? last time i was in the courthouse not only did we go through a metal detector, we couldn't bring in any liquids incase i was planning to blow up the place and my ******* tooth comb was considered a weapon :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.