Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I was wondering what people apply for as a 5th 'back-up' choice. I don't want to do biomedical sciences then medicine as I don't think that will be financially viable for me. Nor do I want to be doing lab work with the bio med degree.

I was wondering if it would be worth having optometry as the 5th choice or if not how do I apply for Business as there is only one personal statement?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Hey

I was wondering what people apply for as a 5th 'back-up' choice. I don't want to do biomedical sciences then medicine as I don't think that will be financially viable for me. Nor do I want to be doing lab work with the bio med degree.

I was wondering if it would be worth having optometry as the 5th choice or if not how do I apply for Business as there is only one personal statement?

Thanks
    I do know a lot of medics who did use biomedical science as their fifth choice. You should apply for course that you want to do, and if you if you really don't want to do the course I wouldn't apply.

In answer to the question about applying with a medical-orientated personal statement and applying for another subject other than medicine, Uni's aren't naive and do realise medics only get 4 choices out of 5. If the course isn't oversubscribed and you meet the grade entry requirements, I don't see why you wouldn't get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    If you'd be happy doing optometry then put it down. You can apply for non science subjects but it is difficult to integrate both without compromising one subject. Some people manage to get offers with a medical personal statement but that is usually for science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply to whatever you want as your fifth choice.

With regards to your personal statement, you have two options: 1. You can try and adapt your PS to fit both courses (which is seriously not recommended, after all you are applying to do Medicine first and foremost, so shouldn't compromise yourself for a backup). 2. You hope that the course you apply for either understands that you applied for Medicine and is okay with that, or doesn't put much emphasis on it. It is for this reason why a lot of applicants choose biomed as their fifth choice, as they're generally understanding about it.

Personally, I chose Medicinal and Biological Chemistry with a year in Industry.

ReputationRep:
    Optometry would be fine as a 5th choice.

As for having your 5th choice as business etc, it would be hard to integrate to completely different subjects into ONE personal statement. It can be pulled of, but it may not work at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    yeah optometry would be okay.....but business definitely a bad option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    I was wondering what people apply for as a 5th 'back-up' choice.
    Nothing.

If you really want to do medicine, you're better off not doing any other degree until it becomes necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for whatever you want. You get a nice warm feeling for about 5 seconds when you get your first offer, usually in your 5th choice, a few weeks or so after applying :p:

And then you get a warmer feeling declining them when you get your first med offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Apply for whatever you want. You get a nice warm feeling for about 5 seconds when you get your first offer, usually in your 5th choice, a few weeks or so after applying :p:

And then you get a warmer feeling declining them when you get your first med offer.
    I can't remember climaxing whenever I checked track, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Well, to be fair, Oxford probably told you over the phone, and even if you were told via post, it was far earlier than most medical schools handing out offers - around early December. After you climaxed over that one, the rest on track didn't really matter as much :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My fifth choice was maths, as i genuinely would have done it if i'd not got in. Never found out if i got an offer though.

As people have said, its worth considering if you'd really want to do something else if you fail for med (or if you would reapply next year). Compromising a PS is not a light decision and probably not advisable.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm just going to put down Natural Sciences I think.

ReputationRep:
    Well, to be fair, Oxford probably told you over the phone, and even if you were told via post, it was far earlier than most medical schools handing out offers - around early December. After you climaxed over that one, the rest on track didn't really matter as much :p:
    :giggle:

I actually got the letter about two days before Christmas. Wasn't my first though - I got an offer from Barts while I was at Oxford being interviewed. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    Have you ever considered being called Rebecca instead of Becky?

And NS is a great course. Someone I know had that as a 5th at Nottingham and got in. If you don't really care about it, you may as well try somewhere like Durham :p:

ReputationRep:
    Some of us didn't have track to check!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    To what end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Some of us didn't have track to check!
    Did you have any central internet portal, or did you have to apply on paper individually to the Unis? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever considered being called Rebecca instead of Becky?

And NS is a great course. Someone I know had that as a 5th at Nottingham and got in. If you don't really care about it, you may as well try somewhere like Durham :p:
    I guess I just prefer Becky, it feels more informal with my friends. Why???
    What's with the toilet paper??

Yeah, I was going to apply to Durham Natural Science, the city seems really nice, and the course sounds good too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    To what end?
    What do you mean? I'm going to put Medicine down for Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham and Leicester, and Natural Sciences down as me 5th choice.

ReputationRep:
    Did you have any central internet portal, or did you have to apply on paper individually to the Unis? :unsure:
    Paper UCAS forms (I'm not that old!), I think there was a beta track running but it wasn't a big deal and not many people I know bothered with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.