Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    What do you mean? I'm going to put Medicine down for Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham and Leicester, and Natural Sciences down as me 5th choice.
    To what end? What would you do with a NatSci degree?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? I'm going to put Medicine down for Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham and Leicester, and Natural Sciences down as me 5th choice.
    Even though UCL states that they prefer an applicant with a contrasting subject at A level :p: I didn't like Leicester as a place either - seemed like a second Luton to me :p:

Anywho, you're guaranteed a place at Birmingham whatever happens, unless my reply to Prof Lote will change the admissions process this year, which is unlikely to happen.

Do some reading and work for the BMAT essay - you do all sciences so that may be a bit of an uphill struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Paper UCAS forms (I'm not that old!), I think there was a beta track running but it wasn't a big deal and not many people I know bothered with it.
    Ahh, I can imagine the hell that must have been - every tiny mistake would probably warrant a complete restart :p:

ReputationRep:
    I guess I just prefer Becky, it feels more informal with my friends. Why???
    What's with the toilet paper??

Yeah, I was going to apply to Durham Natural Science, the city seems really nice, and the course sounds good too!
    Just thought Rebecca was much cooler :p:

Don't apply to the really popular colleges like Castle but don't make an open application either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Paper UCAS forms (I'm not that old!), I think there was a beta track running but it wasn't a big deal and not many people I know bothered with it.
    Fair enough. :p: I wasn't sure how long ago they started introducing it all. I think you still have to apply individually to American Unis, but you can hardly expect them to come up with a modern efficient system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Even though UCL states that they prefer an applicant with a contrasting subject at A level :p: I didn't like Leicester as a place either - seemed like a second Luton to me :p:

Anywho, you're guaranteed a place at Birmingham whatever happens, unless my reply to Prof Lote will change the admissions process this year, which is unlikely to happen.

Do some reading and work for the BMAT essay - you do all sciences so that may be a bit of an uphill struggle.
    Yeah, I've spoken to UCL. Further Maths is fine. Also, most people who go to UCL have are all science anyways.

Why about Birmingham anyway, what have you said???

Yeah, I can read thanks, and I did get A* at English Lit, Language and Political History at GCSE - I can write too! Currently reading Genome - Matt Ridley, and Oliver Slack - Man who Mistook his wife for a hat.

Also my best friend did same A levels as me and got offers from UCL and Cambridge for medicine - she's in the year above me.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought Rebecca was much cooler :p:

Don't apply to the really popular colleges like Castle but don't make an open application either.
    What college do you recommend? Not that I see myself going there. I'm determined to get into medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've spoken to UCL. Further Maths is fine. Also, most people who go to UCL have are all science anyways.
    :curious:

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I can read thanks, and I did get A* at English Lit, Language and Political History at GCSE - I can write too! Currently reading Genome - Matt Ridley, and Oliver Slack - Man who Mistook his wife for a hat.

Also my best friend did same A levels as me and got offers from UCL and Cambridge for medicine - she's in the year above me.
    Most people who go to UCL do not have all sciences.

Well, she failed to do her research as well. I never said you couldn't read, I meant reading more widely (newspapers, articles etc) would help you for the BMAT. And you mean Oliver Sacks?? Plus that book is pretty much a story book. Matt Ridley's Genome isn't that good either and if you think reading these books will help you get into medical school, esp. Cambridge, it just isn't the case. Most of these books are pop science for a reason, they don't really have much science in them. Reading an A2 textbook would help you more, and I'm serious here.

And like I said, GCSE is a doss.

ReputationRep:

Oh btw I'm from Leicester!

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw I'm from Leicester!
    Most people want to move away from home, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    What college do you recommend? Not that I see myself going there. I'm determined to get into medicine!
    Then don't apply for a 5th and if you don't get into medicine, reapply. No?

If you're not that determined, then try somewhere like Collingwood. Just don't apply to Castle/University - it's always oversubscribed.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

What did you say?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much everyone with 8A* or more is guaranteed an interview, and of those interviewed, 93% get offers... (and from personal experience, the interview is a complete doss) so you have to be a complete social leper to get rejected with those GCSEs.

(Original post by piece_by_piece)
    What did you say?
    I got a "decliners feedback form" thing from them, which I've filled in with particular emphasis given to the comment boxes on what they can do to improve. I mean, there's a reason why more than 50% of people with Birmingham offers don't go to Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Does Cambridge vary a lot between colleges?

At Oxford it's pretty much equal, so the deciding factors are generally to do with the colleges themselves rather than popularity. Plus you can always get reallocated and are interviewed at several colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Does Cambridge vary a lot between colleges?

At Oxford it's pretty much equal, so the deciding factors are generally to do with the colleges themselves rather than popularity. Plus you can always get reallocated and are interviewed at several colleges.
    Different colleges have different admissions processes, so I guess it does matter. Like Clare will interview on the basis of BMAT whereas at every other college, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview provided the rest of your application isn't complete trash. Places like G&C have 3 interviews whereas places like Churchill have 1... so yes, it really varies. Shame most of us don't know this until after we've applied.

Being completely completely honest, I only applied to Cambridge because I know a good number of friends there already and I know the place very well.

ReputationRep:
    Different colleges have different admissions processes, so I guess it does matter. Like Clare will interview on the basis of BMAT whereas at every other college, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview provided the rest of your application isn't complete trash. Places like G&C have 3 interviews whereas places like Churchill have 1... so yes, it really varies. Shame most of us don't know this until after we've applied.

Being completely completely honest, I only applied to Cambridge because I know a good number of friends there already and I know the place very well.
    Jeez, that's a bit weird. It's very much uniform across the whole of the colleges at Oxford (in terms of shortlisting, places etc. I imagine they all look for different things at interviews).

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much everyone with 8A* or more is guaranteed an interview, and of those interviewed, 93% get offers... (and from personal experience, the interview is a complete doss) so you have to be a complete social leper to get rejected with those GCSEs.

I got a "decliners feedback form" thing from them, which I've filled in with particular emphasis given to the comment boxes on what they can do to improve. I mean, there's a reason why more than 50% of people with Birmingham offers don't go to Birmingham.
    What do you reckon is wrong with Birmingham then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    To what end? What would you do with a NatSci degree?
    Probably teaching or professor

ReputationRep:
    Most people want to move away from home, don't you?
    It's about 30 minutes away. It means that I can continue playing hockey for my town team. It's good for medicine too, although out of Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham and Leicester, Leicester is my last choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.