Turn on thread page Beta

How do you think humans first learnt how to have sex? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    What a stupid question!
    Instinct, the same reason why EVERY animal knows how to have sex.

Idiot.

P.S. There is no god.
    define god, god is something that started or created somethin out of nothing. like the big bang for instant what created that i believe in god and i believe in science, i believe science explains the logic and god explains the unreasonable....

this thread is not plausable, as evolution occured, this is not a debate, and mammals such as us changed. The position of the vigina and the position of the penis and so on....males used to have sex with women from behind as they wer attracted to the arse and therefor put ther penis ther therfore the vigina was high up. even back today the position of the vigina is quite pushed back and high up. but then boobs arrived and men had sex with women face to face.

ReputationRep:
    it seems obvious that is it due to evolution (how it evolved is a little trickier)

The purpose of sex is gene shuffling - so that a population can react and survive in a non-static environment. The most effective and efficient way to maintain a population with the right combination of genes, while at the same time maintaining genes which are not necessary now but may be necessary in the future, is sexual reproduction.

Bacteria are constantly undergoing horizontal gene transfer via their plasmids (circular peices of DNA) and pilus (see pic). Perhaps through some very very strong selective pressures there eventually evolved a mechanism by which this gene transfer occurred in eukaryotes, and to be more efficient required gender-specific roles. Alongside this the behavioural knowledge of what to do during sex would have evolved, or else it would all have been useless. Take for exmaple the fact that when males dont have sex for a while their sperm builds up and they get an urge to "dispose" of it. I dunno much more, but a good book I've heard is The Red Queen by Matt Ridley.

ReputationRep:
    Red tube?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    but then boobs arrived
    great quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigbhoy91)
    haha

It's in our gene's? I think they just put 1 + 1 together. Stick + Hole = Pleasure lol.
    nice rhyme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    The purpose of sex is gene shuffling
    Thats a bold statement. You should write a paper explaining why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    dfjr, aren't you the one who said that you gave your girlfriend half your sandwich and that was the extent of your romantic behaviour? :p:

Ahem, anyway, this is really really messed up and I would go anon but General Discussion doesn't allow it unfortunately... but when we were little, my friend and I would often get bored, decide that we wanted babies to play with, and we somehow knew (we must have been like... 3/4?) that it involved sticking his willy in a hole. So we used to take our clothes off and he'd try and stick his willy in my belly button.

:awesome:

I wish I was joking. I'm sure that's really not right, and to this day I'm genuinely freaked out that that happened. Though it really is quite amusing. :awesome:

Edit: I don't have a theory, but it obviously seems quite natural? :erm:
    yeah I was lol.
    I've actually made quite a few "strange" threads (don't post on these they're dead now):
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post19705527
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post19006143
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post18990853
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post18989273
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post18953266
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post18418405
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post19972795

As you can tell I don't make very serious threads on student room. So er, don't be surprised by this thread.
    I probably have done more romantic things for my girlfriend than giving her half of my sandwich (in case you were worrying).

Strange story. I'm a bit scared actually. It's interesting though. A baby? Surely you'd have to reach puberty before he would start doing that.
    As for you and your friends, perhaps you and your friend have walked in when your parents were having sex?

p.s. Is the monkey tormenting the dog, or is it trying to make a sexual advance on the dog? I'm a bit confused to what the monkey is actually doing.

ReputationRep:
    Well the problem with your first scientific one is that 'innate behaviour' is evolved through generations.

If you accept evolution, animals from which humans evolved must have been having sex to produce offspring, so human kept that innate knowledge throughout evolution and still do today - remember, we must still be evolving if you accept nature in tooth and claw.

The real question is how the first sexual animals learnt to have sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I can never tell in your posts whether youre being sarcastic or not

edit: sarcastic i think

ReputationRep:
    biodiversity, why: biodiversity to avoid a pandemic of death, why:so species can survive: why:meaning of life??????????????????

ReputationRep:
    I can never tell in your posts whether youre being sarcastic or not
    Yeah I was being sarcastic: you shouldn't write a paper on it, it'd probably be rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    biodiversity, why: biodiversity to avoid a pandemic of death, why:so species can survive: why:meaning of life??????????????????
    nobody who's anybody takes the species-wide viewpoint of evolution duh. why:cositstrendy?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)

Ahem, anyway, this is really really messed up and I would go anon but General Discussion doesn't allow it unfortunately... but when we were little, my friend and I would often get bored, decide that we wanted babies to play with, and we somehow knew (we must have been like... 3/4?) that it involved sticking his willy in a hole. So we used to take our clothes off and he'd try and stick his willy in my belly button.

:awesome:
    I'm so glad you didn't anon because that made me laugh SO much and I'm gonna give you rep hahahaha...oh dear :redface:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was being sarcastic: you shouldn't write a paper on it, it'd probably be rubbish.
    what was wrong with the original "bold statement"

also, calm down a bit

ReputationRep:
    nobody who's anybody takes the species-wide viewpoint of evolution duh. why:cositstrendy?!?!?!
    i think ur confused with what i meant....!

ReputationRep:
    Thier mum and Dad (Mr and Mrs Missing Link) showed them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MewMachine)
    I'm so glad you didn't anon because that made me laugh SO much and I'm gonna give you rep hahahaha...oh dear :redface:
    I'm glad you gain amusement from my traumatic childhood experiences. :p:
    Bahaha. Thanks for the rep though, that's one positive I got from it I suppose ha!

ReputationRep:
    I thought sex was relatively a new thing?

ReputationRep:
    what was wrong with the original "bold statement"

also, calm down a bit
    There is no accepted evolutionary explanation for the evolution and upkeep of sex.

CALM DOWN??? ILL SHOW YOU CALM THE **** DOWN!!

I'm always calm you garlic-seasoned bivalve.

ReputationRep:
    There is no accepted evolutionary explanation for the evolution and upkeep of sex.

CALM DOWN??? ILL SHOW YOU CALM THE **** DOWN!!

I'm always calm you garlic-seasoned bivalve.
    looking at ur post i think ur the calmest of the calm lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.