Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We have to pay for the opticians, but smokers get the NHS for free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    Tell that to all the American cancer sufferers who can't afford to pay for the treatment they need thus are simply left to die.
    That's a lack of healthcare, not the healthcare itself. Read what I said, very, very carefully. It comments on the quality of service itself, specifically mentioning that you'd have to put the extent of its coverage aside.

So what you're doing is arguing with something that no one said. You must be very proud of yourself. Most people waste their time just by being on internet forums and discussing something half decent. You manage to outdo them spectacularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    That's a lack of healthcare, not the healthcare itself. Read what I said, very, very carefully. It comments on the quality of service itself, specifically mentioning that you'd have to put the extent of its coverage aside.

So what you're doing is arguing with something that no one said. You must be very proud of yourself. Most people waste their time just by being on internet forums and discussing something half decent. You manage to outdo them spectacularly.
    I agree that American healthcare is probably the best in the world- for those that can afford it. I was merely pointing out that unfortunately not everyone can. You can't just conveniently ignore this fact by putting 'the extent of its coverage aside', otherwise you are being misleading and turning it into a one-sided argument. It's like saying that under Hitler's leadership, Germany had a strong economy but disregarding all the other factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)

Yes because suicide is painless to the family, obvioulsy :confused:
    I meant it in terms of that they don't have to watch you go through months of pain.

ReputationRep:
    If smokers get the NHS for "free", then why do they have to pay for their glasses, dental treatment, etc? Or are all smokers unemployed now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    I agree that American healthcare is probably the best in the world- for those that can afford it. I was merely pointing out that unfortunately not everyone can. You can't just conveniently ignore this fact by putting 'the extent of its coverage aside', otherwise you are being misleading and turning it into a one-sided argument. It's like saying that under Hitler's leadership, Germany had a strong economy but disregarding all the other factors.
    If Germany had a strong economy under Hitlers leadership, what exactly is the problem with saying Germany had a strong economy under Hitler's leadership?

I object to someone saying American healthcare is shocking. American healthcare is second to none. The lack of healthcare amongst certain americans may be shocking, but that is not what is said. Therefore, my initial comments were entirely apt, and your Hitler analysis is about as relevant as the Liberal Democrats.

(Original post by serrellen)
    I'm not generally one to go on about the need for smokers to help subsidise all the health costs they are incurring (really, I'm not... slippery slope blah blah) but the other day I realised the injustice that adults in the UK have to pay all costs towards their eye care, even though their short/long-sightedness is not due to a poor lifestyle (more likely genes).

I've worn glasses since I was five and am still getting free eye tests but this will stop soon... then I will have to pay for
    a. the eye tests
    b. the glasses frames
    c. the lenses.

Why is it that healthcare for people who are careless with their health - smokers, the obese, and even some dental care for people who don't floss - is free on the NHS, and yet those who are burdened with poor eyesight due to genetics must cough up so that the world doesn't remain a funny-coloured blur to them?
    I have never flossed, get over it. Then again, I don't bother with a dentist, since I keep my teeth clean, ad have ever had any problems with them.

Since I am a smoker, I understad that you probably won't read this. But I'll say it anyway. I'll start with glasses: I, too, have worn glasses since I was eight, and now have started having to pay for them. I've not complained; I just did it. Like everyone else does. Now, as for smoking... 80% of what I pay for my tobacco is tax, which goes straight into the government - and the government give the NHS their money, don't you know. Which means that if I fall ill care of tobacco, I've already payed for my healthcare in tobacco duty.

80%, or thereabouts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.