Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We have to pay for the opticians, but smokers get the NHS for free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Smokers pay for their care through the tax on cigarettes.

Its as simple as that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yes, you probably wouldn't. More fool you, eh?

Trying to hard to do what? Anyway, I'm not sure I appreciate how one can try to hard to achieve something if they particularly desire it.
    Well, you're doing it again aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    as do people with eyes?
    Yes, I've been through this already. Smokers pay extra taxes for being smokers. They pay for their NHS care twice over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    poor eyesight is completely avoidable, JUST EAT SOME ************* CARROTS

thats why my vision it 6/5 :littleangel: (was 6/4 but i stopped eating carrots)
    If it really was that easy, then why on earth would most of my friends be blind through no fault of their own? Oh I forgot - it's not that simple. No amount of carrots is going to reverse what I and 1% of the population have.

if you're going to say something that ridiculous, then at least do some research as to why some of us have vision worse than normal. Or does eating carrots actually stop dodgy genes?:rolleyes:

But, conditions like Glaucoma are treated above things like myopia.
    Are they? Myopia doesn't cause blindness and other conditions that are untreatable - glaucoma does. (I have a friend with glaucoma who is blind in one eye and cataracts as a result)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Yes, I've been through this already. Smokers pay extra taxes for being smokers. They pay for their NHS care twice over.
    how can that ever be justified?

ReputationRep:
    how can that ever be justified?
    How can what be justified?

ReputationRep:
    How can what be justified?
    paying for your cover twice.

ReputationRep:
    paying for your cover twice.
    It's not really up to me to justify it, I haven't been arguing in favour of such high taxes on cigarettes, just pointing out that smokers already pay for their NHS care and more.

ReputationRep:
    The tax from **** goes straight to the NHS direct stop smoking service LOL.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really up to me to justify it, I haven't been arguing in favour of such high taxes on cigarettes, just pointing out that smokers already pay for their NHS care and more.
    crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a smoker and I wear glasses, kinda sucks to be me. :|

Anyway, there are ways to have eye tests done for free under NHS care, I
    have mine done for free, plus the lenses and glasses are designer and only
    cost a little over £30. There's all sorts of student benefits available out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    I have read it, and the stats are not conclusive enough as at least one other poster has mentioned! You read the thread, get some good statistics and come back with a better argument. We don't need smokers' money anyway.

You're also trying to explain smoking's affect on the NHS in monetry terms, when the actual point of the NHS was and is to save lives. Think of how many hospital beds smokers take up on a yearly basis. Think of all the staff and doctors devoted to smokers.

I wouldn't be surprised if you smoke and/or most of your family.
    I assure you, you do.

(Original post by addylad)

1. Treatment should not be free to those who have knowingly contributed towards their own poor health, by way of an unnecessary habit or activity which does not have any benefit to their own health.

2. Besides, for those activies you mentioned, I don't see an issue? If you bungee jump and get injured somehow (the injury being...?) then if it's not your fault, you can of course take whoever is responsible to court and get reimbursed.

3. I'm not socially authoritarian. I simply believe that people who deliberately partake in something which could require pallative care, which is very expensive, or hospital beds, should pay for being there, and not inhibit the treatment of those who have looked after themselves much better. Argue against this please...
    1. So if cross the road, and get hit by a bus because you didn't look properly, you wouldn't want treating, because it was your own stupid fault?

I think if that happened, you'd be begging for treatment, don't you?

2. Ahah, the litigation culture in you comes out. That would cost more money, and the fun things in life would be forced to shut, as insurance costs become too high for the business.

3. We do pay for it - have you not read the figures?

(Original post by bigfatflanker)
    99% of adults who wear glasses buy designer and custom in some shape or form. They want this because its a better looking product
    This was going to be my next point, if the glasses we free on the NHS how many people would still buy the designer frames because they looked better? For all those arguing about having to pay for glasses, then buying designer frames have no leg to stand on in my opinion.

(Original post by 19becky91)

Well, if you don't want to live until 90, you can always jump off a bridge. A lot less painful, for yourself and your family.
    Yes because suicide is painless to the family, obvioulsy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    And everybody who needs glasses does so because it is in their genes.
    I'm still wondering about this but it looks like the OP has abandoned her thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vokes)
    The proof is in the pudding. This is how the American system works and their healthcare is shocking compared to most developed countries, no matter how great it may sounds in theory.
    What? American healthcare is the best in the world, regardless of what you might think of its set up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    LEAVE SMOKERS ALONE!!!
    You puff? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    You puff? :holmes:
    not yet...

Edit: I should probably explain that I never will :angel:

Edit2: well, maybe next time I find myself faced with them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    not yet...

Edit: I should probably explain that I never will :angel:

Edit2: well, maybe next time I find myself faced with them...
    Could you say no...to these? :teeth:

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyferret)
    Could you say no...to these? :teeth:

:coma:
    No, but tbh I couldn't say no to these:

or these:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    What? American healthcare is the best in the world, regardless of what you might think of its set up.
    Tell that to all the American cancer sufferers who can't afford to pay for the treatment they need thus are simply left to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vokes)
    The proof is in the pudding. This is how the American system works and their healthcare is shocking compared to most developed countries, no matter how great it may sounds in theory.

It's allk fine until you find you need a £40k operation and your insurance doesnt cover it, then it's not such a great idea.
    Yes indeed, there are many disadvantages in having a healthcare system for which you pay when you need it:

1 - People are more reluctant to go to their doctor because they don;t want to pay unnecessarily. On one hand it does make people think twice but the biggest problem is that, when they do go, it tends to be later than it would have been otherwise. So they tend to be more sick when they present.

2 - The poor just won;t be able to afford it.

3 - As mentioned earlier, for big expenses, it can be a nightmare. Some operations can cost 40k. Some long term illnesses such as HIV can cost up to 30k per year!

4 - Doctors tend to do a lot more useless investigations than required. It pays!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.