Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for this job, but not exactly sure what it entails. Has anyone tried it, did you enjoy it? Opinions please.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truewonder)
    Bump
    Here is a similar job. So perhaps look at the job description/person specification to get a better idea?

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacde...tion=912299647

ReputationRep:
    It depends on who you are caring for and where. Is it young disabled people or elderly? In a home, school or hospital? Or is it caring for people in their own homes?
    I have a severely disabled cousin who is cared for at home by care support workers.
    They tend to work alone, calling in on people and getting them out of bed, preparing meals, washing, bathing, shaving them, taking them to the toilet. There is often some cleaning or shopping involved too.
    They might have one person or family to work with, or a list of several and have to go from one to the next - like get Mr A up and give him breakfast, then go clean for Mr B and get lunch, then back to Mr A for tea, then go to Mr C to put him to bed.
    My cousin's carers sleep in her home overnight on a shift rota.
    It is different in a residential setting; you will be part of a team and the care will focus on personal care, feeding and medication, as well as encouraging them to stay active.
    If you are applying for the job, there should be a job description telling you what is involved?
    Either way, you will work hard and the money will probably not be fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    It depends on who you are caring for and where. Is it young disabled people or elderly? In a home, school or hospital? Or is it caring for people in their own homes?
    I have a severely disabled cousin who is cared for at home by care support workers.
    They tend to work alone, calling in on people and getting them out of bed, preparing meals, washing, bathing, shaving them, taking them to the toilet. There is often some cleaning or shopping involved too.
    They might have one person or family to work with, or a list of several and have to go from one to the next - like get Mr A up and give him breakfast, then go clean for Mr B and get lunch, then back to Mr A for tea, then go to Mr C to put him to bed.
    My cousin's carers sleep in her home overnight on a shift rota.
    It is different in a residential setting; you will be part of a team and the care will focus on personal care, feeding and medication, as well as encouraging them to stay active.
    If you are applying for the job, there should be a job description telling you what is involved?
    Either way, you will work hard and the money will probably not be fantastic.
    One them focuses on caring for people with disabilities and the other for the elderly in a care home.

My bold, isn't that what a care assistant does?

The pay is around 8 quid an hour, is that pretty ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionmark)
    Here is a similar job. So perhaps look at the job description/person specification to get a better idea?

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacde...tion=912299647
    Thanks a lot.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I work as a support worker with people with physical and learning disabilities, in supported living though.
    £8 an hour is very good for this sort of work, I get £7 which is about the best you get around here for similar jobs.
    Working with disabled people will involve a lot of personal care i.e. washing, taking to toilet, but you will be trained and after the first few times it's not as bad as it sounds.
    You will probably have to help with general tasks, like if they play games etc, and also help with feeding at meal times.
    Depending on the place, you may have to take people out into the community.
    Different places use different job titles, and care support worker may well be their term for care assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truewonder)
    One them focuses on caring for people with disabilities and the other for the elderly in a care home.

My bold, isn't that what a care assistant does?

The pay is around 8 quid an hour, is that pretty ****?
    8 quid an hour is actually pretty good pay, isn't it? Better than I would have expected.
    I imagine there is an overlap between the different jobs in the care sector - supporting disabled or elderly people wherever they are is obviously going to involve some physical care, but I would not have thought that a care support worker would do medical procedures.
    As the above poster says, the work will probably be helping with independent living and occupational skills.
    Good luck, hope it goes well for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.