Turn on thread page Beta

Why is it more socially acceptable for women to be picker in choosing a partner? watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think this is?

Inspired by the thread on 'women's turn-off's in guys'

If we thought more rationally about people we fancied or not there would be less pain in the future.

Do you think that men aren't allowed to be as picky as they prefer?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    One thing I can't understand is why people would accuse me of shallowness/harshness when I expect that a potential female partner is financially independent (i.e.standing on her own two feet as opposed to immeasurably rich) but it's perfectly fine when many women demand that male partners are financially independent.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Because they have vaginas; therefore power.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the opposite - seeing a guy just now and I really really like him but I see it as his decision as to whether he's interested and dont understand why he does seem to be interested in me because he's so much better looking and so much more interesting a person lol. I suppose girls are never happy haha

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is socially unacceptable for a man to be picky at all, stereotypically we aren't but I think that has more to do with the social acceptance of a man sleeping around rather than a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Biologically speaking, women have a right to be pickier.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's people like you who say "squish" at the end of each post about, and the majority would rather be picky than end up with that?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Everyone has the right to be as picky as they want to be. If your level of pickiness isn't getting the results you want, then that's your choice and your problem. Nobody says men can't be picky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Biologically speaking, women have a right to be pickier.
    Yup - eggs are more valuable than sperm, so women have a riskier investment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Yup - eggs are more valuable than sperm, so women have a riskier investment!
    What you said makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because it's easier for women to get men so they increase their expectations? Whereas men have to put some effort into getting a partner, so they are pleased with whatever they can get?

Hey, don't ask me, I'm gay =] I'm not into that straight game with chasing and dating and expectations, etc. But don't get me wrong, there are loads of straight people who couldn't care less how much "evolutionar power" the vagina has. I mean, Jesus, lay back. We are people, you know, that superior thing? We don't just breed so we can evolve. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    Sexual selection/sperm competition in animals = females tend to be the ones who choose.

However, if we're talking people, I must disagree, I think it's equal really. Both guys and girls get to choose. I mean, it's not like girls do all the choosing and most men are going out with girls they don't really want to be with, but have no choice. You go out with someone you want to be with, regardless of the fact that you're a boy or girl.

And call me old fashioned, but if I like a guy, I'll wait til he asks me out. I don't know if that's me being picky or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    In evolutionary terms, women would face a long hard slog of pregnancy and birth, meaning that just sex itself holds more potential risk to them than it does for, obviously, men. Men can impregnate many women, whereas women have a set number of births they can achieve. That is why it is more socially acceptable for women to be pickier.

Additionally, that is why women stereotypically go for 'bad' guys, then 'nice' guys. Bad = strong/ leader sperm, and the nice = someone to protect the woman during the time when she would be most vulnerable, and also help raise the offspring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_said)
    Sexual selection/sperm competition in animals = females tend to be the ones who choose.
    :curious: No they don't, the males of most species fight over who gets to reproduce with her - she has no say in it.

ReputationRep:
    And call me old fashioned, but if I like a guy, I'll wait til he asks me out. I don't know if that's me being picky or not.
    So if the guy never asked you out then I presume you would just be indifferent.

BTW I'm not saying that's wrong! If I fancied a woman but didn't think she would fancy me back I'd just wait for her to initiate flirting etc. and if she didn't I'd just be indifferent and not do anything.

Why is everyone on this thread assuming that the main objective of a partner is ultimately for sex and reproduction?! What about platonic relationships?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    :curious: No they don't, the males of most species fight over who gets to reproduce with her - she has no say in it.
    Yer what he said^

With rabbits the male basically chases the female until she is too tired to resist

With bees and stuff it is of course completely different, but we're closer to mammals than insects

ReputationRep:

However, if we're talking people, I must disagree, I think it's equal really. Both guys and girls get to choose. I mean, it's not like girls do all the choosing and most men are going out with girls they don't really want to be with, but have no choice. You go out with someone you want to be with, regardless of the fact that you're a boy or girl.

:yup:

Women have a lot of power, they can make men do crazy things.

But that's not you being picky, i think a majority of girls like to wait for the guy to ask them out.

So you've never asked a guy out before?

ReputationRep:
    Because women are -supposed- to be picky rather than be "sluts". Apparently.

IDK, I don't really care how picky you are, that's your prerogative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Not necessarily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiIh3JJsvKc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    How so? According to Dawkins, because women have fewer eggs than men have sperm, in evolutionary terms their investment in a partner has to be chosen more carefully as they have more to lose by wasting them. As a sociobiologist, he would argue this affects their dating strategy in today's society too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.