Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it more socially acceptable for women to be picker in choosing a partner? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_said)
    That was loooong ting.

kthxbai.
    A verrrrrrrrrry looooong ting.:cool:

How did you know that anyway? Is that just random information in your head?

ReputationRep:
    Simply because it's less socially acceptable for a woman to 'sleep around' than it is for a man, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    A verrrrrrrrrry looooong ting.:cool:

How did you know that anyway? Is that just random information in your head?
    Ugh dude, I did a Biology degree....this information is stuck in my head because I had to revise it for a Behavioural Ecology unit. Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pickier than most girls I know. But then again, I'm aw3some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimpin Juice)
    I'm pickier than most girls I know. But then again, I'm aw3some.
    That's a good attitude.

I'm not prepared to surrender myself to a predatory sl*g either.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    I thought men can be considered sluts.

I'm not saying that women shouldn't be picky - it's fine. But men should be entitled to be equally (if not more) picky if that is how they wish to be and should not be maligned for it - at the end of the day that affects their probability of getting a partner and the 'quality' of the said partner too.

squish.
    You know how it is, if a woman sleeps around, she's a slut. If a guy does it, he's a 'player' and almost celebrated for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well a lot of the time it is the guy that asks the girl to go out with him. Guys have already limited their choices in that act. Hence guys are technically being picky too (unless they ask every girl in close proximity without fail).

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask... Why is everyone getting their panty hamsters in a spin anyway?! I seriously know both guys and girls who are equally picky.

How many guys do you know who are like, "oh I'm in a relationship with this girl but I don't wanna break up with her because, you know how women are, they're picky. So I'm gonna stay with Sheila, even though she makes me want to slit my wrists...dis mah fate, sexual selection - it's no fair. Blub."

ReputationRep:
    You know how it is, if a woman sleeps around, she's a slut. If a guy does it, he's a 'player' and almost celebrated for it.
    Why do women encourage this then? Why chase the guy who is evidently the slut?

There's nothing stopping a woman sleeping around. In fact it's perfectly legal in this part of the world. Whilst it may be legal because of the Protestant culture in the UK it isn't socially acceptable for either a man or a woman to have extra-marital affairs.

Wouldn't you consider a man who slept around as a 'slut'?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh dude, I did a Biology degree....this information is stuck in my head because I had to revise it for a Behavioural Ecology unit. Bad times.
    Ohh, I see now.

Poor you. But you got a degree out of it right?

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/danceeee.gif

ReputationRep:
    Because the world will end when all women close their legs...

ReputationRep:

squish.
    Squish, (is that your name? I'm confused)

I don't like men who are 'sluts' or players. I'm afraid some women do chase them because they are stupid. And before I get a load of people saying, "waaaaa that's not fair stop calling women stupid!" well I'll tell you to shut your pie holes in advance, because they are stupid for falling for blatant players. The odds are, they'll get played.

If a man sleeps around, that's his prerogative...I can't tell people what to do... All I know is, if I am aware that a man is infamous for being promiscuous and breaking hearts, I stay away.

(Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    Ohh, I see now.

Poor you. But you got a degree out of it right?
    Yeah true, I do love biology though. I want to teach A Level/GCSE biology, so I gotta love it I guess.

ReputationRep:

There's nothing stopping a woman sleeping around. In fact it's perfectly legal in this part of the world. Whilst it may be legal because of the Protestant culture in the UK it isn't socially acceptable for either a man or a woman to have extra-marital affairs.

squish.

And there's nothing stopping men being more picky:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    If you were a man you wouldn't say this, more than likely if a girl approaches a guy for sex they will say yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I know that men can be picky - I would certainly exercise my right to!

But that doesn't mean that those men aren't judged for it - in the same way that some women are judged for bouncing on many appendages.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Squish, (is that your name? I'm confused)

I don't like men who are 'sluts' or players. I'm afraid some women do chase them because they are stupid. And before I get a load of people saying, "waaaaa that's not fair stop calling women stupid!" well I'll tell you to shut your pie holes in advance, because they are stupid for falling for blatant players. The odds are, they'll get played.

If a man sleeps around, that's his prerogative...I can't tell people what to do... All I know is, if I am aware that a man is infamous for being promiscuous and breaking hearts, I stay away.

Yeah true, I do love biology though. I want to teach A Level/GCSE biology, so I gotta love it I guess.
    Hm, i wouln't say they are stupid.. more blinded by their feelings. You can't help who you fall for :rolleyes: only how you act on it. I suppose it is a bit stupid..

But isn't it in a guys nature to want to shag everyone with a vagina?

ReputationRep:
    I thought men can be considered sluts.

I'm not saying that women shouldn't be picky - it's fine. But men should be entitled to be equally (if not more) picky if that is how they wish to be and should not be maligned for it - at the end of the day that affects their probability of getting a partner and the 'quality' of the said partner too.

squish.
    Men can be, but they are usually proud and cheered for it. Women on the other hand not so much.

Men are picky for chrissakes!

ReputationRep:
    Chris Rock sums it up quite nicely.

Women are offered *penis* every single day. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    But isn't it in a guys nature to want to shag everyone with a vagina?
    Certainly not! Where did you get that idea from?

I suppose some people can be blinded by their feelings when they are younger. I however have just turned 20 and would be very rational in analyzing who I fancied/didn't fancy.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, but I find I'd rather flirt and give out the obvious signs then let him ask me out haha. I don't know, I'm being old fashioned, I know...If he asks me out I don't play games however.

Ugh... I assumed females of most species tend to choose their mate. Reasons why:

1. Female gametes are bigger and more 'expensive' to produce (anisogamy)
    2. Limited opportunities to breed sometimes
    3. Females can exhibit more paternal care.

Females choose males based on their:

1.Body size
    2. general health (display/calling)
    3. Colouration and adornmentss (birds and fish)
    4. Territory quality or (availability of some other resource.)
    5. Compatability
    6. Sperm quality/health

Inter-sexual selection: Males 'persuade' females to mate with them
    Intra-sexual seclection: Males compete with each other for female's attention.

"A sexual preference of a particular kind (i.e. females choosing particular attributes) may confer a selective advantage and may become established in the species." (Fisher 1930)

"Male colouration indicates a low parasite load" (Hamilton & Zuk 1982)

"The very pigments used to become colourful also have antioxidant and immunoregulatory properties - colouration reveals overall health." (McGraw 2005)

In the animal kingdom females do often choose their mates, also, there's the fact that males compete with each other (i.e. stags) so the female favours the winner... however there are also incidences of copulation similar to the rabbit rape that someone also mentioned. I'm not entirely sure about the ratio of sexual selection, however I was under the impression that females tend to choose more so in most species.

That was loooong ting.

kthxbai.
    :facepalm2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.