This discussion is closed.
Report 17 years ago
One of the posters in this group asked me about the verb "burbled" at the top of my replies to the
posts of others. He pointed out to me that this has a fairly derogatory meaning in a variety of
dictionaries. I was unaware of that, for I took it from Lewis CArroll's nonsense poem "Jabberwocky",
which contains the lines

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled
as it came!

My understanding of "burbled" here is that it is meant to signify the sound of a brook or stream of
running water. Burbling (or babbling, if you prefer) brooks and babies are usually pleasant sounds.

If anyone is offended by this verb, please let me know and I will change it to something staid and
boring and inoffensive, viz., "wrote".

CyberCypher <[email protected]
new posts
to top
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (117)
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
No, but I know who I want to choose (19)
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (50)
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (10)

Watched Threads

View All