Turn on thread page Beta

One of the posters in this group asked me about the verb "burbled" at the top of my replies to the
    posts of others. He pointed out to me that this has a fairly derogatory meaning in a variety of
    dictionaries. I was unaware of that, for I took it from Lewis CArroll's nonsense poem "Jabberwocky",
    which contains the lines

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled
    as it came!

My understanding of "burbled" here is that it is meant to signify the sound of a brook or stream of
    running water. Burbling (or babbling, if you prefer) brooks and babies are usually pleasant sounds.

If anyone is offended by this verb, please let me know and I will change it to something staid and
    boring and inoffensive, viz., "wrote".

--
    CyberCypher <[email protected]

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.