Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    You've played RPGs right? I guarantee you not a single one of them you've played has anything remotely in common with Heavy Rain.

Saying Heavy Rain is an RPG because you take the "role of several characters" is a weak argument. I think you should stop reading Joystiq if that's what one of the previewers said, the only game he's played must be Halo.

I think levelling up, twinking for improved stats, fighting monsters and going on epic fantasy quests to save the world when I think of an RPG.
    Not a down to Earth quick time event game set in American suburbia.
    Well what other genre can you class it as?

You can't just call a game a movie, or a QTE.

It's not an action/adventure, or a shooter, so what is it? :hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Well what other genre can you class it as?

You can't just call a game a movie, or a QTE.
    Ofcourse you can, even the devs want you to call it an interactive movie.

You walk around in the game to talk to characters, but every action segment is a quick time event, it's like Shenmue without the combat.

I think wikipedia's "definition" of interactive drama is surprisingly accurate in this case because the game is nothing else.

It's as much an RPG as I act a "badass" in real life. Interpret that how you will.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse you can, even the devs want you to call it an interactive movie.

You walk around in the game to talk to characters, but every action segment is a quick time event, it's like Shenmue without the combat.

I think wikipedia's "definition" of interactive drama is surprisingly accurate in this case because the game is nothing else.

It's as much an RPG as I act a "badass" in real life. Interpret that how you will.
    Hmm. I guess so. That makes Heavy Rain the first of that particular genre then. MGS4 is an action/adventure in my eyes before you say MGS4 was a movie.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just look how awesome they look! :awesome:

Pirates of the Carribean: LBP style (DLC)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I guess so. That makes Heavy Rain the first of that particular genre then. MGS4 is an action/adventure in my eyes before you say MGS4 was a movie.
    Well, the game Quantic made before (Fahrenheit) was also an interactive movie of sorts.

What i'm curious about is whether Heavy Rain will incorporate any puzzle solving and item collecting in it. If it does it'll become a familiar adventure game (monkey island, grim fandango, kings' quest etc).

MGS series is definitely action/stealth/adventure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Just look how awesome they look! :awesome:

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/2062/li...-dlc-confirmed
    Dunno if you saw this before:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=3409

Well, the game Quantic made before (Fahrenheit) was also an interactive movie of sorts.

What i'm curious about is whether Heavy Rain will incorporate any puzzle solving and item collecting in it. If it does it'll become a familiar adventure game (monkey island, grim fandango, kings' quest etc).

MGS series is definitely action/stealth/adventure
    Not really sure tbh. I think I read in the preview that you get to play as an FBI agent who has these fancy gadgets that can spot blood and various clues at any given location. So there should be some sort of puzzle in the game, albeit a small part of the game.

ReputationRep:

Not really sure tbh. I think I read in the preview that you get to play as an FBI agent who has these fancy gadgets that can spot blood and various clues at any given location. So there should be some sort of puzzle in the game, albeit a small part of the game.
    Ah yeah I remember seeing that. Hmm, well, I think we can still agree the game isn't an RPG :o:

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah I remember seeing that. Hmm, well, I think we can still agree the game isn't an RPG :o:

I guess so...

You should take your complaint up with Joystiq tbh!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Dunno if you saw this before:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=3409
    Must have missed it. :facepalm2: :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Must have missed it. :facepalm2: :cute:
    :grin:

Did you get the MGS4 DLC for LBP? It was soooo cool! :yeah:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :grin:

Did you get the MGS4 DLC for LBP? It was soooo cool! :yeah:
    I haven't got any LBP DLC yet. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got any LBP DLC yet. :ninja:
    Oh I see. If you had to buy some DLC for any game, make it the MGS4 pack for LBP! :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh I see. If you had to buy some DLC for any game, make it the MGS4 pack for LBP! :yep:
    I'll look into it, after I platinum R&C:CiT. :grin: Should get it done by end of next week. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I'll look into it, after I platinum R&C:CiT. :grin: Should get it done by end of next week. :erm:
    Already?! nice one! :thumbsup:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Already?! nice one! :thumbsup:
    AFAIK, there's 37 trophies including secret ones. I'm pretty close to completing the main game... 1/3 left ish. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I too quite like the style of the original but it is rather bulky. :o: I was kinda just wanting some warranty tbh! I had no warranty left on my 40GB... :eek3: Just in case... :dontknow:

That's not my picture, it's what the seller posted for me to see.
    Ah, if it isn't then negative feedback the lying bugger.

I'm hoping to get a brand new one so the warranty is a bonus! I don't really plan on upgrading the HDD so the extra space is welcome. The other thing that's bugging me is losing the Other OS functionality even though I'll never use it anyway! Crazy stuff...

Did that mofo come with an HDMI cable?
    The old or new one? Old one did come with a basic one but can't find that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/s...ay-once-again/

Wonder if they'll go the route of Microsoft and get social networking features we'll have to pay for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/s...ay-once-again/

Wonder if they'll go the route of Microsoft and get social networking features we'll have to pay for.
    They better not start charging monthly, otherwise they would be taking a huge step back after working up a head of steam this year (price cut and the like).

ReputationRep:
    They better not start charging monthly, otherwise they would be taking a huge step back after working up a head of steam this year (price cut and the like).
    Everything that I've heard about this suggests that there won't be any charge for the service that we currently get (imagine the outcry if that did happen, anyway!) , but that there may be new services that have a charge attached.

ReputationRep:
    From that article:

though we were told that the current level of PSN service was to remain free
    Seems like it's premium content which could be anything! :iiam:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.