Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tell me what PS3 exclusives to get please?

So far I'm thinking MGS4, Demon's Souls and Wipeout HD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    Tell me what PS3 exclusives to get please?

So far I'm thinking MGS4, Demon's Souls and Wipeout HD.
    Uncharted 1+2 and inFamous should definitely be on your list. Valkyria Chronicles and Ratchet and Clank (there are three, but two 'full' releases) are also excellent if you like the genre.

ReputationRep:
    You've played RPGs right? I guarantee you not a single one of them you've played has anything remotely in common with Heavy Rain.

Saying Heavy Rain is an RPG because you take the "role of several characters" is a weak argument. I think you should stop reading Joystiq if that's what one of the previewers said, the only game he's played must be Halo.

I think levelling up, twinking for improved stats, fighting monsters and going on epic fantasy quests to save the world when I think of an RPG.
    Not a down to Earth quick time event game set in American suburbia.
    Which just shows you don't understand the basic nature of RPGs. Not entering the debate on what Heavy Rain is, I will just say I think you need to revise your definition of RPGs.

There are table-top RPGs, for example, which take place in the real world and don't involve epic quests to save the world, etc. There are RPGs which don't involve levelling or fighting monsters. Technically, many dating sims are RPGs and the hugely popular Harvest Moon series falls under the RPG umbrella, yet all you really do in that game is farm and get married. This is why many people who play gaming sims also play RPGs because they are essentially the same game.

That's the joy of an RPG, it can be anything you want as long as you assume the role of a character and play their role properly within a story. Just because your definiton has been altered by games like The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy, and probably Dungeons and Dragons, doesn't make you right. Geoff's definition is certainly a lot closer than yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    There are table-top RPGs, for example, which take place in the real world and don't involve epic quests to save the world, etc. There are RPGs which don't involve levelling or fighting monsters. Technically, many dating sims are RPGs and the hugely popular Harvest Moon series falls under the RPG umbrella, yet all you really do in that game is farm and get married. This is why many people who play gaming sims also play RPGs because they are essentially the same game.
    I'm sorry, but you need to pull your head out of your ass and smell the fresh air.

I'm a realist, I call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel. I am well aware that RPG is an acronym for "role playing game" - as in, you assume the role of another persona in order to experience a new form of medium. But i'm not a pedantic twit, I'm a realist.

Sure, not all RPGs involve levelling and fighting monsters, but nearly all of them do, they're stereotypical conventions of the genre. Yes Tabletop RPGs are different, but who the **** is talking about tapletop games?

Most games which are RPGs without levelling and killing monsters are dubbed "action/adventure" games anyways. The whole dichotomy of action/adventure and RPG led to the creation of terms to explain genres such as "dating" sims and "farm" sims.

I just called Harvest Moon a "farm" game. If you want to label stuff that's fine, but atleast take the time to analyse the context before you breath in a fart and blow it in my face (metaphorically ofcourse).

But if you want to call Heavy Rain an RPG that's fine, I can live with that. You're probably the same guy who'd describe Gran Turismo's career mode as a "third person role playing game with driving elements."

Spoiler:
    Show
    wittiest thing i've ever said wowowoww

(Original post by Illusionary)
    Uncharted 1+2 and inFamous should definitely be on your list. Valkyria Chronicles and Ratchet and Clank (there are three, but two 'full' releases) are also excellent if you like the genre.
    Thanks chum. I think quite a few of these games i'll get after exams/when they drop in price since i've got some catching up to do.

Quite interested in Siren: Blood Curse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but you need to pull your head out of your ass and smell the fresh air.

I'm a realist, I call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel. I am well aware that RPG is an acronym for "role playing game" - as in, you assume the role of another persona in order to experience a new form of medium. But i'm not a pedantic twit, I'm a realist.

Sure, not all RPGs involve levelling and fighting monsters, but nearly all of them do, they're stereotypical conventions of the genre. Yes Tabletop RPGs are different, but who the **** is talking about tapletop games?

Most games which are RPGs without levelling and killing monsters are dubbed "action/adventure" games anyways. The whole dichotomy of action/adventure and RPG led to the creation of terms to explain genres such as "dating" sims and "farm" sims.

I just called Harvest Moon a "farm" game. If you want to label stuff that's fine, but atleast take the time to analyse the context before you breath in a fart and blow it in my face (metaphorically ofcourse).

But if you want to call Heavy Rain an RPG that's fine, I can live with that. You're probably the same guy who'd describe Gran Turismo's career mode as a "third person role playing game with driving elements."

Spoiler:
    Show
    wittiest thing i've ever said wowowoww
    Not really that witty given I didn't even mention whether Heavy Rain was an RPG or not.

Tabletop RPGs matter because they form the basis for all computer RGPs, you numpty. The fact that games like Lux Pain, Harvest Moon and Lost In Blue are considered RPGs rather demonstrates this. They take all the basic elements of an RPG as defined by the tabletop genre, which created the entire genre don't forget, and makes a completely different game out of them compared to the Final Fantasies of the world.

The dichotomy between action/adventure and RPG has nothing to do with whether there is killing monsters or levelling. Legend of Zelda is considered both an action/adventure game and an RPG, for example. The difference is usually down the number of characters you control and the freedom found within the storyline. Action/adventure games tend to be one character at a time with very linear plots, whilst RPGs have parties and less linear plots..

Nor are you a realist if you can't understand the nature of an RPG. It is nothing to do with experiencing a new medium, but rather taking control of the story yourself. This is where FPSs, etc. fail to be RPGs because their stories, many eons ago when memory was small and cartridges were around, were completely linear and had no room for even the smallest variations. RPGs offered the chance to carve your own story out of the overall plot by character usage, job allocation, conversation choices, etc. RPGs, especially now, allow for multiple playings of the game with a completely different set of events built around a few core story events. Obviously the lines are blurring, what with games like Mass Effect, etc. and Legend of Zelda has always been a shady game to categorise, but the fact remains RPGs allow for more variations in the story than in any other game. This is why sims, especially dating sims, fall under the umbrella of RPGs. This is why a solely RPG website reviews games like Harvest Moon and Lux Pain. I don't really care whether Heavy Rain is an RPG, it's not a game I'm going to play, but don't for a second that your highly limited defintion of what an RPG is is correct.

I'd suggest you take your own advice and pull your head out of your ass now. Do you work for Joystiq or any other well known games magazine/website? Are you a veteran of the gaming critic scene? No. Sit your arrogant ass down and listen to the people who do it for a living and know better than you.

ReputationRep:

Tabletop RPGs matter
    No they don't

The fact that games like Lux Pain, Harvest Moon and Lost In Blue are considered RPGs rather demonstrates this.
    Umm, they're not RPGs.

They take all the basic elements of an RPG as defined by the tabletop genre
    What i'm trying to emphasise is that the tabletop RPG (archaic as it is - even if they're still played to do) is unrelated to the video game archetype of an RPG.

Legend of Zelda is considered both an action/adventure game and an RPG, for example.
    People who consider LoZ an RPG are wrong. It's an action adventure game.

The difference is usually down the number of characters you control and the freedom found within the storyline. Action/adventure games tend to be one character at a time with very linear plots, whilst RPGs have parties and less linear plots..
    No, the difference is that typical RPGs involve levelling, stat and character customisation. Have you honestly never heard the sentence "XXX is a first person shooter game with RPG elements".

They're not referring to the ability to control multiple characters in a non-linear environment, they're stating that you can gain experience and custom your armour and characters.

Also, umm, JRPGs are really linear.

Nor are you a realist if you can't understand the nature of an RPG.
    I do understand the nature of the RPG, like I said previously, i just say it how it is.

Obviously the lines are blurring, what with games like Mass Effect, etc. and Legend of Zelda has always been a shady game to categorise
    The lines are not blurry if you use simple definitions and conventions.

Zelda is an action/adventure game.
    Mass Effect is an RPG.

Zelda doesn't have levelling and stat modification, Mass Effect does. It's simple.

This is why sims, especially dating sims, fall under the umbrella of RPGs.
    No they don't, stop treating this as an axiom.

This is why a solely RPG website reviews games like Harvest Moon and Lux Pain.
    Did you not consider the fact that most RPG websites are for weeaboo/Japanorama fanboys only?

I'd suggest you take your own advice and pull your head out of your ass now.
    Dude, you do realise i'm fully aware of this?

Do you work for Joystiq or any other well known games magazine/website? Are you a veteran of the gaming critic scene? No. Sit your arrogant ass down and listen to the people who do it for a living and know better than you.
    I'm so happy you decided to fall back on this cliche.

I don't give a **** what publications say. They don't know what they're talking about 99% of the time. Form your own opinions, not ones which conform to the expectations of others.

Gosh, you're probably one of those people who thinks Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie are platforming games too

ReputationRep:
    No they don't
    They don in this context.

Umm, they're not RPGs.
    Yes, they are.

What i'm trying to emphasise is that the tabletop RPG (archaic as it is - even if they're still played to do) is unrelated to the video game archetype of an RPG.
    Hardly, considering the computer RPG archetype is based on the tabletop RPG archetype.

People who consider LoZ an RPG are wrong. It's an action adventure game.
    Yes, because you are the Voice of God.

No, the difference is that typical RPGs involve levelling, stat and character customisation. Have you honestly never heard the sentence "XXX is a first person shooter game with RPG elements".
    They're not referring to the ability to control multiple characters in a non-linear environment, they're stating that you can gain experience and custom your armour and characters.
    Also, umm, JRPGs are really linear.
    Yea, but the way you play them isn't. The same in regards to WRPGs. They are just as linear, it's just in how you play them.

I do understand the nature of the RPG, like I said previously, i just say it how it is.
    Clearly you don't.

The lines are not blurry if you use simple definitions and conventions.

Zelda is an action/adventure game.
    Mass Effect is an RPG.

Zelda doesn't have levelling and stat modification, Mass Effect does. It's simple.
    Actually, Mass Effect is commonly held to be a TPS with RPG aspects.

Compare the Lord of the Rings movie tie-in games on the GBA, which are designated action/adventure games yet have customisable armour, stats and levelling up.

LoZ is considered an RPG by most critics and gamers, despite the fact it's blatantly an action/adventure game.

No they don't, stop treating this as an axiom.
    You don't get to decide that, unfortunately for that.

Did you not consider the fact that most RPG websites are for weeaboo/Japanorama fanboys only?
    Of course, insult the demographic to get your point across. That'll win the argument.

I'm so happy you decided to fall back on this cliche.

I don't give a **** what publications say. They don't know what they're talking about 99% of the time. Form your own opinions, not ones which conform to the expectations of others.

Gosh, you're probably one of those people who thinks Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie are platforming games too
    Wouldn't know, never played them. Many people in publications don't know ****, but they are also the people who essentially created the terms we are arguing about and the ones who decide what genre a game really is. Much like a music magazine will label a new band. The critics decide and as much as you may rail against it, it won't change that fact. And I shan't be swayed by your opinion either. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Please stop arguing. :puppyeyes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or at least take it elsewhere. :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Please stop arguing. :puppyeyes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or at least take it elsewhere. :fuhrer:
    We can have our own conversation :p:

So, how's things?

I really need to play R&C Tools for Destruction at some point.

I've had it for like 2 months but not touched it. Never played a R&C before.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

So, how's things?

Ok. :p:

Fine thanks, cold though! Snowing here... :eek3: How are you?

It's been a while since I played ToD... urm, certainly was a fun game! R&C: CiT is even better though! :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Ok. :p:

Fine thanks, cold though! Snowing here... :eek3: How are you?

It's been a while since I played ToD... urm, certainly was a fun game! R&C: CiT is even better though! :coma:
    I want snow god-dammit! I'm good, ta. Procrastinating as always.

That what you're playing atm? CiT?

I'm on chapter 18 of Uncharted 2. Slowly getting towards the end I suppose...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I want snow god-dammit! I'm good, ta. Procrastinating as always.

That what you're playing atm? CiT?

I'm on chapter 18 of Uncharted 2. Slowly getting towards the end I suppose...
    Yup, CiT, then I'm going back to LBP. :woo:

I was thinking of getting Uncharted 2, not sure yet. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, CiT, then I'm going to LBP. :woo:

YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE IT??!?!?!

Get it.

Now.

It's insane.

I got LBP with my console last Jan, but I also got MGS4 with it too, so it got a little bit neglected, understandably. I need to have a proper bash at it sometime.

I want to play Resi 5 again too at some point.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    YOU MEAN YOU DON'T HAVE IT??!?!?!

Get it.

Now.

It's insane.

I got LBP with my console last Jan, but I also got MGS4 with it too, so it got a little bit neglected, understandably. I need to have a proper bash at it sometime.

I want to play Resi 5 again too at some point.
    I don't have it. :ninja:

I never had a proper bash at LBP neither... I got frustrated at the spring boards in one of the levels. :dry: Plus some levels, you need another person to help you, I'm hoping someone from here would help me out... because if you play with random people online, then they just **** about.

Oh please... Resi 5 :hand:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it. :ninja:

I never had a proper bash at LBP neither... I got frustrated at the spring boards in one of the levels. :dry: Plus some levels, you need another person to help you, I'm hoping someone from here would help me out... because if you play with random people online, then they just **** about.

Oh please... Resi 5 :hand:
    Resi 5 is awesome! I loved it... :o:

Peace Walker demo has landed! Playing it in a minute when I've finished this chapter on U2. :love:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Resi 5 is awesome! I loved it... :o:

Peace Walker demo has landed! Playing it in a minute when I've finished this chapter on U2. :love:
    I couldn't complete the demo. :sad: I liked R4 (?) on the Wii, but since moving on to the PS3, I've hated the control system, it just doesn't work for me. :mad:

GT5 Demo should be on PS Store too...

ReputationRep:
    God of War 3 :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My PS3 Slim should be here today! "Out for delivery" says DHL tracking. :woo:

:jive: :excited: :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered to get involved with the heated debate up there, so I'll just leave them to it...

(Original post by Illusionary)
    Everything that I've heard about this suggests that there won't be any charge for the service that we currently get (imagine the outcry if that did happen, anyway!) , but that there may be new services that have a charge attached.
    :yeah:

That's fine by me. All the services I need are already out now anyway. Unless they start charging to play 3D games or something.

So, how's things?

ToD is fantastic - highly recommended. I don't normally like platformers, but I was turned just by how incredibly fun the game was. The cut scenes were quite witty at time too. :mmm:

Yup, CiT, then I'm going back to LBP. :woo:

You don't have Uncharted 2?! Get out. Now... :p:

How can you not have played what many people call the game of the year for 2009?!

You've played the first Uncharted yeah?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't complete the demo. :sad: I liked R4 (?) on the Wii, but since moving on to the PS3, I've hated the control system, it just doesn't work for me. :mad:

GT5 Demo should be on PS Store too...
    Resi 4 on the Wii = :coma: The controls were perfect. It certainly isn't as good as 4, but having brothers means the co-op aspect of was awesome.

So it is, downloading now! Never played a GT game before. 'Realistic' driving games never really appealed to me, but we shall see.

Diddy Kong Racing ftw though.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.