Plenty of information:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/so...games-this-fi/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/so...ystation-move/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/pl...kit-under-100/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/pl...on-controller/
    http://kotaku.com/5490554/first-look...-move/gallery/
    http://kotaku.com/5490555/boxing-wit...aystation-move
    http://kotaku.com/5490535/sonys-moti...aystation-move

It's basically and upgraded Wii, with 1:1 motion tracking. Plagiarism ftw. :teehee:

"Move" is not the greatest name, but I'll take it over "Natal" any day tbph...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Its basically the wiimote + nunchuk, im disappointed in sony to be honest.
    Me and a friend were discussing this.

It seems as though it's a technological solution which is able to live up to the promise of what the Wiimote was capable of, some truly fantastically accurate positional tracking. No, it's not trying something massively different ala. Natal, but I fell as though Move will at least work well at what it's intended to do all the time, whereas Natal will suffer from greater constraints in the same way that Wii has been unable to live up to it's initial impressions as being a catch-all motion sensor.
    So no, it doesn't do much new: but it does it damn well. Like lots of Sony products, it's not doing anything massively new: but it's doing it damn well.
    I'm far more excited to see what software will do, to be honest
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I hope the wrist strap doesn't break! :ahee:

Surely the one on the left should have one too? :holmes: (See pic 2 posts up)

(Original post by spikeymike)

:rofl: Good point indeed

It looks more sophisticated than the WiiMote and what they showed at GDC last year was pure :coma:

But is it something I would buy? I'm not sure :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    PayPal have given me my £10 back from that guy selling MW2 and other games at ridiculously cheap prices! What to spend it on now...

ReputationRep:
    1000 penny sweets

ReputationRep:
    Buying in bulk on eBay gets more than 1000 :awesome:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by humz2)
    :rofl: Good point indeed

It looks more sophisticated than the WiiMote and what they showed at GDC last year was pure :coma:

But is it something I would buy? I'm not sure :dontknow:
    Have you actually played on a Wii before? It's pretty awesome, but most games were pretty crap.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't think the PS move is going to be a commercial success, especially when the package for the move + eyetoy + game is likely to be 90-100 pounds or sth ridiculous like that; compared to a wii for 150 pounds where I get the console + a game + a wiimote, I think the wii will still trounce the ps move.
    The wii is so popular because it is dirt cheap and it is so easy to pick up and play. Also there is no skill required to play the damn game, just waggle it around.
    Having said that, it looks like an amazing piece of technology. The fact that there is no lag (according to them admittedly) makes it a lot more interesting in my opinion.
    Talking about SOCOM 4, I saw a few clips of it and I still have a problem with turning the character around, you have to bring the cursor to the edge of the screen to turn him around, which according to me is going to be slow, clunky as hell and get you killed in multiplayer.
    If they are using the eyetoy they could easily have implemented some sort of head tracking, where a slight movement of your head to the right/left translates to significant character movement in the game environment.

I'll probably get it just to play the sword game.

And Lucas Art. PLEASE LIGHTSABER GAME!

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually played on a Wii before? It's pretty awesome, but most games were pretty crap.
    I played the wii before it had the motionplus attachment and it's not that great. A lot of the time the movement would not register, and it just felt like a gimmick.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by darkos87)
    I played the wii before it had the motionplus attachment and it's not that great. A lot of the time the movement would not register, and it just felt like a gimmick.
    Yeah but, if the Move is as accurate as it claims, it would be :yy:

ReputationRep:
    And Lucas Art. PLEASE LIGHTSABER GAME!
    yeah, hopefully the force unleashed 2 will support it.
    i hated playing the first one on the wii, to see the graphic comparison on the first level is diminishing. the stormtrooper AI was also better on the ps3, from what i can remember from the demo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    Me and a friend were discussing this.

It seems as though it's a technological solution which is able to live up to the promise of what the Wiimote was capable of, some truly fantastically accurate positional tracking. No, it's not trying something massively different ala. Natal, but I fell as though Move will at least work well at what it's intended to do all the time, whereas Natal will suffer from greater constraints in the same way that Wii has been unable to live up to it's initial impressions as being a catch-all motion sensor.
    So no, it doesn't do much new: but it does it damn well. Like lots of Sony products, it's not doing anything massively new: but it's doing it damn well.
    I'm far more excited to see what software will do, to be honest
    Im more interested in what Natal can do as it feels like all the PSM can do is just, better wii games, however i would never buy it to be honest and the PSM also. Whats disappointing is that they pretty much straight copied the wii and in a sense im also disappointed with Microsoft as it feel like they've both 'sold out'. Even though it seems more accurate my preferred choice of playing games will always (at least in the medium term) be a controller where i can get feedback and true feel for what im doing.

ReputationRep:

The left "nunchuck" doesn't need a strap because it's not motion sensitive apparently. So they don't expect people to be waving their left arms about like a maniac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Im more interested in what Natal can do as it feels like all the PSM can do is just, better wii games, however i would never buy it to be honest and the PSM also. Whats disappointing is that they pretty much straight copied the wii and in a sense im also disappointed with Microsoft as it feel like they've both 'sold out'. Even though it seems more accurate my preferred choice of playing games will always (at least in the medium term) be a controller where i can get feedback and true feel for what im doing.
    Agreed. I just want to sit back and relax when I'm gaming, and not have to wiggle my wrist about/stand up and look like a crazy person.

ReputationRep:
    Well at least it looks better than the Wii:

PSM Trailer

Comparisons between the Move and Wiimote

The things that I like are:

No wasted batteries: The Wii remote sucks up AA battery juice. The Move and its companion sub-controller are rechargeable via the same mini-USB connection used to charge the PS3's main controller.

No wire!: The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are tethered by a short cable. The PS3 Move and its subcontroller are not. (Bluetooth connection ftw)

ReputationRep:
    Talking about SOCOM 4, I saw a few clips of it and I still have a problem with turning the character around, you have to bring the cursor to the edge of the screen to turn him around, which according to me is going to be slow, clunky as hell and get you killed in multiplayer.
    If they are using the eyetoy they could easily have implemented some sort of head tracking, where a slight movement of your head to the right/left translates to significant character movement in the game environment.
    These are still pre-alpha demonstrations of the hardware, not examplles of exactly how software will implement it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Well at least it looks better than the Wii:

PSM Trailer

Comparisons between the Move and Wiimote

The things that I like are:

No wasted batteries: The Wii remote sucks up AA battery juice. The Move and its companion sub-controller are rechargeable via the same mini-USB connection used to charge the PS3's main controller.

No wire!: The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are tethered by a short cable. The PS3 Move and its subcontroller are not. (Bluetooth connection ftw)
    Well only have to wait till the autumn to see what it's like, it does look good though...like a HD version of the Wii...so really we get 2 consoles for the price of 1 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Question about heavy rain, is it worth buying? Do you actually do anything or is it basically a movie? What is the cheapest price atm?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I've yet to play Heavy Rain .

Also, Bioshock 2 , £23.99 at Amazon .
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/63039...at-amazon-ps3-

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.