Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, recently 'found out' I'm taking a gap year. Although I have many constructive things planned, I bought a PS3 and CoD:WaW!

So, my PSN ID is "Ahujjj", and I play a lot of CoD5 online, and a bit of 3on3 NHL Arcade which is a surprisingly addictive game, but nobody ever seems to be online?

I'm mostly playing Core Team Deathmatch, but sometimes enjoy Hardcore Search and Destroy.

And if one of my (real life) friends isn't available, we'll be looking for an experienced fourth Der Riese Zombies partner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12ian34)
    Hi everyone, recently 'found out' I'm taking a gap year. Although I have many constructive things planned, I bought a PS3 and CoD:WaW!

So, my PSN ID is "Ahujjj", and I play a lot of CoD5 online, and a bit of 3on3 NHL Arcade which is a surprisingly addictive game, but nobody ever seems to be online?

I'm mostly playing Core Team Deathmatch, but sometimes enjoy Hardcore Search and Destroy.

And if one of my (real life) friends isn't available, we'll be looking for an experienced fourth Der Riese Zombies partner!
    Updated. :yy:

Welcome to the thread!

I would add you, but my PS3 just died from the YLoD.

R.I.P. 05.09.09

:sigh:

Just realised I'm going to lose my FF7 save file as well. Put so much time into that game save! :cry:

ReputationRep:
    That's odd, alot of PS3's seem to be getting the YLOD recently.

It's a ploy from Sony to get everyone to buy a Slim! :hmmm:

Crafty ****ers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    That's odd, alot of PS3's seem to be getting the YLOD recently.

It's a ploy from Sony to get everyone to buy a Slim! :hmmm:

Crafty ****ers.
    Hah, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Brick all the old models which are out of warranty and force them to buy the slim as they know people won't pay over the odds to get an old refurbished model!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Hah, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Brick all the old models which are out of warranty and force them to buy the slim as they know people won't pay over the odds to get an old refurbished model!
    Exactly! They are some crafty ****ers over at Sony HQ. :yep:

They also stopped Continuous Play, it's all a bit fishy :lol:

What you going to do? Buy another PS3, or just pay for a replacement?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! They are some crafty ****ers over at Sony HQ. :yep:

They also stopped Continuous Play, it's all a bit fishy :lol:

What you going to do? Buy another PS3, or just pay for a replacement?
    I'll probably try my best to worm my way into getting a free replacement, stating the fact that 3.0 is the cause of the problem, using all the user comments as evidence in addition to me not having a problem in the two/three years I've had my console. Yes it's out of warranty, but it's Sony's fault that they made a buggy firmware update.

Failing that, if I don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money for the replacement (£100 to £150 lets say), then I'll get the replacement. That would enable me to purchase a new 500GB HDD and chuck that into the replacement straight away. This makes sense to me as I didn't have to faff around making a backup of my files (because it's too late now anyway), and I can just start from scratch on a brand new HDD on the replacement console.

Finally, if Sony want me to pay a stupid sum to get a replacement, I guess I have no choice but to fork out £230 for a new PS3 and some more cash for the 500GB HDD.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to get a slim geoff. It will have a 1 yr waranty and you'll have peace of mind. If my ps3 spazzes out, i've already put aside some money for a new ps3. I was going to get a psp go, but eff that, I've got a ds with supercard now :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    Is it me, post 3.00 update, some trophy %'s changed, I could've sworn I didn't 70% in Uncharted....
    Yep, the trophy %'s have increased after the 3.0 update as a platinum does not count towards your % of a game any longer, but it still does count towards your overall trophy level.

So, before the update, if you were one bronze away from a platinum, then your game % would be something like 77%, which is totally unrealistic. But now, it would be more like 95% or something similar.

Hope thats understandable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    I would advise you to get a slim geoff. It will have a 1 yr waranty and you'll have peace of mind. If my ps3 spazzes out, i've already put aside some money for a new ps3. I was going to get a psp go, but eff that, I've got a ds with supercard now :P
    I'd really rather not fork out the money.

Who knows, what if firmware update 6.0 (complete with 3D functionality and Super Mega Ultra High Definition Gaming) bricks the PS3 Slim in three years time, around the time Sony announce the PS3 Slim Plus?

(Original post by Abz90)
    Yep, the trophy %'s have increased after the 3.0 update as a platinum does not count towards your % of a game any longer, but it still does count towards your overall trophy level.

So, before the update, if you were one bronze away from a platinum, then your game % would be something like 77%, which is totally unrealistic. But now, it would be more like 95% or something similar.

Aaah - very insightful! How did you get that gem of information! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abz90)

I see.

Sorry to hear about the YL Geoff - check this thread out - http://community.eu.playstation.com/...ead.id=1506457

ReputationRep:
    I see.

Sorry to hear about the YL Geoff - check this thread out - http://community.eu.playstation.com/...ead.id=1506457
    :eek:

That's brilliant! I had no idea about that. But the thing is I bought my PS3 from Amazon, and although I do have the receipt, it's always harder dealing with online retailers.

I'll have to ask my solicitor sister for some help...

ReputationRep:
    When you phone up Sony, and mention that it is dead, just say to them that you have less then 6 months to live, and would like to spend that 6 months playing your ps3. How could they refuse that? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

That's brilliant! I had no idea about that. But the thing is I bought my PS3 from Amazon, and although I do have the receipt, it's always harder dealing with online retailers.

I'll have to ask my solicitor sister for some help...
    I would try the Sony Cust. Services line first, see if they budge. If not, try this route (you ain't got much to lose), and Amazon should be fine, they are a very big retailer and should be obliged to deal with problems.

ReputationRep:
    I would try the Sony Cust. Services line first, see if they budge. If not, try this route (you ain't got much to lose), and Amazon should be fine, they are a very big retailer and should be obliged to deal with problems.
    Yeah I'll be giving Sony a call tomorrow morning for sure. :yep:

When you phone up Sony, and mention that it is dead, just say to them that you have less then 6 months to live, and would like to spend that 6 months playing your ps3. How could they refuse that? :lol:
    :awesome:

Good plan, but that can't be very good karma! :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    If they don't budge, tell them you are sending Mark Chopper Read over to collect a refurb.

ReputationRep:

Good plan, but that can't be very good karma! :teeth:
    Probably not, but plus side is you'd get a free replacement from them.

Just watch out for buses when you next go out.

ReputationRep:
    If they don't budge, tell them you are sending Mark Chopper Read over to collect a refurb.
    :rofl: nice to see the use of topical jokes :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Just been reading that thread.

It seems the price is now £128 for the repairs from Sony, unless you manage to get them to do it for free as a gesture of goodwill. :huff:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: nice to see the use of topical jokes :holmes:
    Had to be done :p:

Just been reading that thread.

It seems the price is now £128 for the repairs from Sony, unless you manage to get them to do it for free as a gesture of goodwill. :huff:
    £128 isn't too bad, better then £150, i suppose. Do all you can to blag a freebie off them. Just use the old 'i paid £300+ for this and expect it to last longer' card. (or basically what Neville Facking Bartos said. )

Sure we have some sort of right, even beyond the warranty?

ReputationRep:
    Had to be done :p:

£128 isn't too bad, better then £150, i suppose. Do all you can to blag a freebie off them. Just use the old 'i paid £300+ for this and expect it to last longer' card. (or basically what Neville Facking Bartos said. )

Sure we have some sort of right, even beyond the warranty?
    Still a lot of money. Add another £100 and that's a new PS3 Slim right there.

Add in the fact I paid the launch price of £425 for the 60GB model, I should expect it to last longer!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.