Turn on thread page Beta

The Playstation 3 Society II watch

ReputationRep:
    True!

It's going to be like pissing in the wind, trying to get a freebie off them, isn't it..

I wish you luck sir geoff, let us know what they say after you phoned them :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    True!

It's going to be like pissing in the wind, trying to get a freebie off them, isn't it..

I wish you luck sir geoff, let us know what they say after you phoned them :yy:
    Will do. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I called customer support, and got the response I was expecting:

My console was out of warranty, so they offered me a refurbished model for £128, as my console got the YLoD due to overheating (apparently).
    I refused, stating it was too much of a coincidence that this happened to me days after firmware 3.0, and that I had my console since launch day without having a problem until yesterday. Also told her about the large increase in users who have had their console bricked, also just days after 3.0 came out.
    She gave me the usual corporate line of them not being able to offer me anything better because it was out of warranty, and refused to agree that 3.0 was the cause of the older models bricking. She said it was impossible that the software update could affect the actual hardware.
    I responded saying the new firmware update could easily have made the system more power hungry, what with the new flashy XMB and the like. This could have caused the GPU and CPU to overheat.
    Then she told me her "story" that she has her own launch 60GB console which she apparently plays three hours a day, and has not had a problem.
    I held firm, saying that it was unacceptable that I paid £425 for a console which lasted less than three years, and that they now expected me to pay £128 for a refurbished model.
    I said that it does not matter that I'm out of warranty as the product failed not due to my own misuse of the console, but was most likely due to the fault of firmware upgrade 3.0.
    So I asked to speak to her manager, so she took down my details (serial number and so on) and put me on hold. Of course her manager was busy, so she gave me a reference number and told me that her manager will call me back within the next 24 hours. She also asked if there was a disk in my PS3, so I told her my beloved Pro Evo 2009 was in there. I took down her name, and ended the call there.
    I'm now awaiting a call from Sony.

ReputationRep:
    Completed Killzone 2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Completed Killzone 2!
    Nice one! :yy:

You're finally making your way through all the games you've yet to complete then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Nice one! :yy:

You're finally making your way through all the games you've yet to complete then!
    I am, yes! Though I fear that I won't get through any more this holiday, unless perhaps MGS3 and completing Uncharted on crushing.

ReputationRep:

My console was out of warranty, so they offered me a refurbished model for £128, as my console got the YLoD due to overheating (apparently).
    I refused, stating it was too much of a coincidence that this happened to me days after firmware 3.0, and that I had my console since launch day without having a problem until yesterday. Also told her about the large increase in users who have had their console bricked, also just days after 3.0 came out.
    She gave me the usual corporate line of them not being able to offer me anything better because it was out of warranty, and refused to agree that 3.0 was the cause of the older models bricking. She said it was impossible that the software update could affect the actual hardware.
    I responded saying the new firmware update could easily have made the system more power hungry, what with the new flashy XMB and the like. This could have caused the GPU and CPU to overheat.
    Then she told me her "story" that she has her own launch 60GB console which she apparently plays three hours a day, and has not had a problem.
    I held firm, saying that it was unacceptable that I paid £425 for a console which lasted less than three years, and that they now expected me to pay £128 for a refurbished model.
    I said that it does not matter that I'm out of warranty as the product failed not due to my own misuse of the console, but was most likely due to the fault of firmware upgrade 3.0.
    So I asked to speak to her manager, so she took down my details (serial number and so on) and put me on hold. Of course her manager was busy, so she gave me a reference number and told me that her manager will call me back within the next 24 hours. She also asked if there was a disk in my PS3, so I told her my beloved Pro Evo 2009 was in there. I took down her name, and ended the call there.
    :pinch:

Was worth a try! I wonder if that 'manager' will actually get back to you. Or if he/she does, will probably just talk the same crap she did. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

:eek:
    Unlucky!
    If she rings back, remind her that it wouldn't matter to her if her console broke - as she works for them she'd get a replacement either free, or she'd get a new PS3 slim free, I'd assume.

ReputationRep:
    go geoff, go geoff

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that geoff, I suspect you're onto a loser though as I think updates come with disclaimers (you update at your own risk blah blah). However, if you don't complain then no one would take notice so maybe something will come of it

Might be an idea that folk buy extended warranty (not even sure that's a possibility) or insurance on their consoles if it's going to cost £128 for a fix...

ReputationRep:
    Damn i hope that doesn't happen to my launch ps3 :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Where do you get (official) extended warranties from now?

As Continuous Play has been halted by Sony for people taking the ****ing piss, and it sucks for people who actually need this service & can't get it thanks to the select few who are pricks. :mad:

I don't need one, but i guess it would be helpful for future reference(s) for anyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Good luck with that geoff, I suspect you're onto a loser though as I think updates come with disclaimers (you update at your own risk blah blah). However, if you don't complain then no one would take notice so maybe something will come of it

Might be an idea that folk buy extended warranty (not even sure that's a possibility) or insurance on their consoles if it's going to cost £128 for a fix...
    I bought an extended warranty for my launch console when it came out from game. However, I think it runs out in a month or two Hopefully it doesn't break lol

On another note, completed batman on normal yesterday. Anybody got some tips for completing the challenges? Have to say i'm not too good at the combat ones

Edit: Just completed all the predator ones

ReputationRep:
    I've been struck down by the YLOD too, I got it a day or so after the 3.00 update.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the support guys!

The manager person will probably call me back tomorrow now, whilst I'm on my work experience thing.. :facepalm:

I'm not expecting much from them if they do call, and I'm certainly not paying £128 for a refurbished model.

I asked my sister just now (solicitor), and she said it's best to go straight to Amazon and ask for a replacement, as they are the retailer that supplied me with the (now faulty) PS3. Hopefully the Sale of Goods Act will save me.

EDIT: Question - if I did miraculously get the free replacement from $ony, would I be able to keep the hard drive that's in my PS3, or do I have to give it back? I ask because maybe it's possible to put my old HDD into the new one, and I wouldn't lose my save files.

ReputationRep:
    Id imagine you'd have to give it back, unless you say to them that you want to keep your old one, before they send you a refurb out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the support guys!

The manager person will probably call me back tomorrow now, whilst I'm on my work experience thing.. :facepalm:

I'm not expecting much from them if they do call, and I'm certainly not paying £128 for a refurbished model.

I asked my sister just now (solicitor), and she said it's best to go straight to Amazon and ask for a replacement, as they are the retailer that supplied me with the (now faulty) PS3. Hopefully the Sale of Goods Act will save me.

EDIT: Question - if I did miraculously get the free replacement from $ony, would I be able to keep the hard drive that's in my PS3, or do I have to give it back? I ask because maybe it's possible to put my old HDD into the new one, and I wouldn't lose my save files.
    Seriously doubt they would let you keep the hard drive and it is well worth noting that you would probably void any sort of service by fitting a hard drive into the new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Seriously doubt they would let you keep the hard drive and it is well worth noting that you would probably void any sort of service by fitting a hard drive into the new one.
    I thought that was one the good things about the PS3, in that you can change the HDD without voiding it?

EDIT:

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question...1134838AASraRQ

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was one the good things about the PS3, in that you can change the HDD without voiding it?

EDIT:

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question...1134838AASraRQ
    Actually you may well be right about that, shame I do not have my manual at hand... most sites I can see seem to say it's fine to do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Actually you may well be right about that, shame I do not have my manual at hand... most sites I can see seem to say it's fine to do though.
    Cool. I'll ask them if I'm allowed to keep the HDD if I do have to cross that bridge in the near future.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.