Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    say look, my mum bought it - we thought the antenna would be a screw in one in the wrapping loose, we undid the wrapping to see if it was in there, it wasn't thats when we realise she had bought a wired router
    It's on its way back to Amazon...now should I wait or buy the wireless one straight away? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    It's on its way back to Amazon...now should I wait or buy the wireless one straight away?
    what did they say

i dont want to get involved in it any more i am scared lol!(joke ) whatever you do, if you get one, buy the fooker with the antenna on it lol

as far as i am aware its the dg834g

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    What do you guys think? :holmes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Action/Adventure
    • Assassin's Creed
    • Assassin's Creed 2
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum (Stealth)
    • Dead Space (Horror)
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • inFamous
    • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Stealth)
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Drving/Racing
    • Burnout Paradise
    • Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
    • Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

Miscellaneous
    • Heavy Rain (Interactive Drama)
    • LittleBigPlanet (Puzzle/Platformer)

Shooter
    • Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (Platformer)
    • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (Platformer)

(1st person)
    • Bioshock
    • Bioshock 2
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    • Call of Duty: World at War
    • Killzone 2
    • Resistance: Fall of Man
    • Resistance 2

(3rd Person)
    • Mercenaries 2 (Sandbox)
    • Warhawk

Role Playing
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    • Valkyria Chronicles (Real-Time Strategy)

Sports
    • Fifa 10
    • Skate 2

Credits: geoff_yin, .Andrew., Choad, Illusionary, jermaindefoe
    Red Dead Redemption, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, Bad Company 2, no beat-em-ups on there either.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Red Dead Redemption, Demon's Souls, God of War 3, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 5, Bad Company 2, no beat-em-ups on there either.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    what did they say

i dont want to get involved in it any more i am scared lol!(joke ) whatever you do, if you get one, buy the fooker with the antenna on it lol

as far as i am aware its the dg834g

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new
    The guy said just send it back so I have, I just printed off the labels and posted it from my Post Office.

I think I might just buy one now...I've got the Sky router out of the shed so I'm gonna fiddle around with that first

ReputationRep:
    The guy said just send it back so I have, I just printed off the labels and posted it from my Post Office.

I think I might just buy one now...I've got the Sky router out of the shed so I'm gonna fiddle around with that first
    what router is the sky one?

ReputationRep:
    what router is the sky one?
    DG834GT, however the problems that has with dropping the ADSL connections are horrible so I might just not bother, I had the problems for the last 6 months or so of our Sky contract.

ReputationRep:
    DG834GT, however the problems that has with dropping the ADSL connections are horrible so I might just not bother, I had the problems for the last 6 months or so of our Sky contract.
    yeh i know why tho, and i know how to fix it i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Which year? Need to be more specific. :p:
    2010 please :cool:

I hope the Sky router and broadband we are getting is reliable!

ReputationRep:
    yeh i know why tho, and i know how to fix it i think
    I couldn't configure any of it so it's back in the shed

1 things on the wired router though, I did a speed test and the ping fell to ~500ms...not sure why. :erm:

Edit: forget that, it's still ~500ms for some reason on the O2 router...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    2010 please :cool:

I hope the Sky router and broadband we are getting is reliable!
    I think they've kept the same model as the one we have. Not trying to worry you or anything :p:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't configure any of it so it's back in the shed

1 things on the wired router though, I did a speed test and the ping fell to ~500ms...not sure why.

Edit: forget that, it's still ~500ms for some reason on the O2 router...
    how did you test it?

ReputationRep:
    I think they've kept the same model as the one we have. Not trying to worry you or anything
    also the sky one should be configurable, you just need to change the firmware on it

ReputationRep:
    how did you test it?
    Speedtest.net

Problem is that the one that is wireless from Netgear seems to suffer from the same problems as our O2 router. Clicky, something about noise margin keeps popping up? I've no idea what it is though...

ReputationRep:
    Speedtest.net

Problem is that the one that is wireless from Netgear seems to suffer from the same problems as our O2 router. Clicky, something about noise margin keeps popping up? I've no idea what it is though...
    not sure tbh m8, like i said (and as you saw), the o2 router for me kept disconnecting, i changed it, and i havent had one disconnect since

if you suffer with noise problems on your line, phone up o2 and say can you reduce the noise levels on the line, they did that with ours when we first moved in, tho the problem wasnt random disconnects, jsut disconnects when someone phoned

ReputationRep:
    not sure tbh m8, like i said (and as you saw), the o2 router for me kept disconnecting, i changed it, and i havent had one disconnect since

if you suffer with noise problems on your line, phone up o2 and say can you reduce the noise levels on the line, they did that with ours when we first moved in, tho the problem wasnt random disconnects, jsut disconnects when someone phoned
    Yeah but the problem is like 60 people complaining about the same thing is worrying

Is there any way to adjust the noise margin on either the O2 router or a Netgear to see if that helps? I'm going out of my mind which all these routers on Amazon all having the same problem (according to the reviews)...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You guys have wrecked this soc. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the problem is like 60 people complaining about the same thing is worrying

Is there any way to adjust the noise margin on either the O2 router or a Netgear to see if that helps? I'm going out of my mind which all these routers on Amazon all having the same problem (according to the reviews)...
    well, the only way to adjust the noise is to phone o2, as they have to change it at the exchange

ReputationRep:
    well, the only way to adjust the noise is to phone o2, as they have to change it at the exchange
    I see, I've just downloaded RouterStats so I'm gonna monitor it and see if it is actually causing a problem and if it is I'll call them up. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I see, I've just downloaded RouterStats so I'm gonna monitor it and see if it is actually causing a problem and if it is I'll call them up.
    are you not buying the netgear then

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.