Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chernij)
    Thanks.
    Oh and Super Stardust HD for the PSN game recommendation. It's an action game... sort of. One of the most addicting games I have ever played.
    Can't believe I forgot it :facepalm2:
    Ooh, yeah I was looking at that, might buy it later! Need something to keep me busy until Fifa 11. :teeth:

Added. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Ooh, yeah I was looking at that, might buy it later! Need something to keep me busy until Fifa 11. :teeth:

Added. :yy:
    Definitely worth getting.
    Not sure if it's still on now, but there was a 'secret' special offer. The game + DLC packs costed £2.39; together they'd usually cost about a fiver or more. I think it's the Complete pack. It's 'secret' because it doesn't show up in the special offers bit.
    I've just realised how bad that last paragraph was, with a million different tenses.
    Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    You are one of the smart ones then, the number of people I see blatantly mashing square to respawn if I'm chopper gunning in like Demolition or Domination is unreal. You can easily rack up 20/30 kills on ground war if the other team is stupid enough. I rarely ever play without a party so we usually have someone who's willing to take air support down, not that the other team get air support that often :p:
    I will try to respawn to take it out, but if I get killed more than twice just give up and wait. It's a shame I can't get enough kills to get a chopper gunner or something though

Hi all...Been away for a while cos my PS3 got YLOD'ed

Someone experienced and trusted took it into their hands to fix it, but the repair failed because there is a major fault on one of the chips or something like that...So that's it, my 60GB PS3 has died after 3 years I can't send it to Sony to get repaired now can I since it's already been opened up?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Oh and Super Stardust HD for the PSN game recommendation. It's an action game... sort of. One of the most addicting games I have ever played.
    Can't believe I forgot it :facepalm2:
    lol I can't believe I didn't mention it either :sigh:

I bought all the packs when they came out separately and it's still awesome, brilliant price now though for just over £2. Even the music is awesome and the fact you can have custom sound track. Btw what's with V5.00? It's 239mb for an update. :eek:

Mike have fun getting the trophies for it cos some of them are pretty damn hard!

(Original post by dhr90)
    I will try to respawn to take it out, but if I get killed more than twice just give up and wait. It's a shame I can't get enough kills to get a chopper gunner or something though
    lol well I'm sure you will be able to if you keep playing, just use Predator missle along with Harriers to lead up to it and it shouldn't be too hard. Once you do get chopper gunners easily then the next challenge is the nuke. :eek4:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)

Someone experienced and trusted took it into their hands to fix it, but the repair failed because there is a major fault on one of the chips or something like that...So that's it, my 60GB PS3 has died after 3 years I can't send it to Sony to get repaired now can I since it's already been opened up?
    Are there any signs that it has been opened? If so I wouldn't have thought they would let you. Maybe sell it as spares to someone?

I'm so glad to have a 5 yr warrenty on my PS3 :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)

I don't think so because there is a little warranty sticker that gets ripped when opening up the unit although the warranty has run out by then so you could just say you took off the sticker after a year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by humz2)

Aww damn sorry to hear, I think that's the warranty void... well I'd imagine it's already expired?

I think it might be time to get a Slim? Keep your old drive, you can transfer stuff from it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol I can't believe I didn't mention it either :sigh:

I bought all the packs when they came out separately and it's still awesome, brilliant price now though for just over £2. Even the music is awesome and the fact you can have custom sound track. Btw what's with V5.00? It's 239mb for an update. :eek:

Mike have fun getting the trophies for it cos some of them are pretty damn hard!
    I like a challenge. :sexface:

I need to backup my PS3, how should I go about doing this? I noticed what Geoff said in the OP. Do I really need to format in FAT32? I mean can't I just have a copy of all the files without converting formats?

Edit:
    A USB hard disk can also be used to back up data and will appear under the icon when connected. Note however that the disk must be formatted in the FAT32 file system to be recognized by the PS3™ system.

ReputationRep:

I need to backup my PS3, how should I go about doing this? I noticed what Geoff said in the OP. Do I really need to format in FAT32? I mean can't I just have a copy of all the files without converting formats?
    Get an external HDD formatted in FAT32.

Go to one of the settings, and then backup utility. It's easy from there but the initial icon can be hard to find.

ReputationRep:
    lol I can't believe I didn't mention it either

I bought all the packs when they came out separately and it's still awesome, brilliant price now though for just over £2. Even the music is awesome and the fact you can have custom sound track. Btw what's with V5.00? It's 239mb for an update.

V5.00 has 3D support :cool: I know... awesome or what?
    I agree; the trophies are difficult to get!

ReputationRep:

lol you'll love the frustration you're gonna get from these challenges believe me! I've played SSDHD for 20 hours! A game I paid about £4 for has kept me well and truly entertained! And I have 100% on the trophies :sexface:

I tried my dad's hard drive (when I was doing a backup) with is NTFS and the PS3 didn't recognise it, problem is that the backup is mostly of the games and such which won't be restored onto a different PS3. You could just backup all the save games and sync the trophies often if you wanted to instead. The games are all re-downloadable at the end of the day.

Aww damn sorry to hear, I think that's the warranty void... well I'd imagine it's already expired?

I think it might be time to get a Slim? Keep your old drive, you can transfer stuff from it.
    But afaik you can't put it in a different PS3 as the PS3 will try formatting it. A mate of mine tried doing this I think....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)

Go to one of the settings, and then backup utility. It's easy from there but the initial icon can be hard to find.
    I have to admit; I hate FAT32. Probably because I like my fair share of movies, and when the file size is over 4GB (for example with HD movies) you can't put them on the PS3 HDD.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by geoff_yin)

I was hoping to just use my 250GB HDD (NTFS) which has my back up files on it and store the PS3 stuff on it as well. Not sure If I want to buy another 120GB HDD for the back up. :holmes:

Edit:
    Actually I've got an old PC in the cupboard somewhere that has a 40GB HDD on it, that should do it.

(Original post by dhr90)
    Are there any signs that it has been opened? If so I wouldn't have thought they would let you. Maybe sell it as spares to someone?

I'm so glad to have a 5 yr warrenty on my PS3 :woo:
    Yeah I mean the guy obv musta ripped the sticker off, but it's out of warranty as it is, since it's been 3 years.

I don't think so because there is a little warranty sticker that gets ripped when opening up the unit although the warranty has run out by then so you could just say you took off the sticker after a year.
    Yeah and plus I don't want my save games wiped off the drive =/ 3 years worth of data on it :O

Yup expired a loong time ago lol

Can i really put on all the data from my old drive onto a new ps3?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol you'll love the frustration you're gonna get from these challenges believe me! I've played SSDHD for 20 hours! A game I paid about £4 for has kept me well and truly entertained! And I have 100% on the trophies :sexface:

I tried my dad's hard drive (when I was doing a backup) with is NTFS and the PS3 didn't recognise it, problem is that the backup is mostly of the games and such which won't be restored onto a different PS3. You could just backup all the save games and sync the trophies often if you wanted to instead. The games are all re-downloadable at the end of the day.

But afaik you can't put it in a different PS3 as the PS3 will try formatting it. A mate of mine tried doing this I think....
    PJ Monsters was frustrating too. :p:

Ah yeah, I just read about that... it can be on a different HDD but not a different PS3. That's a bit pants isn't it? I mean if your PS3 breaksdown, you'll lose all your stuff?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by humz2)
    Yup expired a loong time ago lol

Can i really put on all the data from my old drive onto a new ps3?
    From what I understand, no you can't.

ReputationRep:
    PJ Monsters was frustrating too. :p:

Ah yeah, I just read about that... it can be on a different HDD but not a different PS3. That's a bit pants isn't it? I mean if your PS3 breaksdown, you'll lose all your stuff?
    Yup but SSDHD is much more frustrating because on PJ Monsters there is a way of going about each level but on SSDHD especially with the Late Boomer trophy you need to quite good at the game and really really really lucky!

And yeah it's a dumb way that Sony have gone about doing it, fair enough that you can't restore games onto another PS3 but to not be able to use your HDD on another PS3 is stupid.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ah wait, hold on a sec. :holmes:

When I cheated to get a few trophies on Fifa 10, I copied someone else's save and copied it over to my PS3. That worked fine and I got my trophies. :holmes: I'm confused. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit; I hate FAT32. Probably because I like my fair share of movies, and when the file size is over 4GB (for example with HD movies) you can't put them on the PS3 HDD.
    I just use my PC to watch HD movies. My PS3 is pretty much solely used for games. :yeah:

I was hoping to just use my 250GB HDD (NTFS) which has my back up files on it and store the PS3 stuff on it as well. Not sure If I want to buy another 120GB HDD for the back up. :holmes:

Edit:
    Actually I've got an old PC in the cupboard somewhere that has a 40GB HDD on it, that should do it.
    If the back up files you've already got aren't bigger than 4GB, you can do this:
    Cut the stuff from the 250GB back to your computer in one folder.
    Format the 250GB to FAT32.
    Copy your back up stuff from your computer back onto the 250GB.
    Plug the 250GB into PS3 and back up normally.

In other news, I've just completed my online check-in for my flight tomorrow. :excited:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.