Turn on thread page Beta

The Playstation 3 Society II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    :lolwut:
    Where did you hear about that conspiracy?
    I didn't hear about it, i just thought it was a bit odd how all these 60-80gb models are dying at the same time.

Conspiracy, maybe not, maybe it's just a coincidence?

Just seems odd.

:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmathematician)
    How do you know that Geoff isn't the current world record holder, or perhaps myself, or anyone else on this forum? Despite you claiming that you being 'better' than us is gospel (which as I mentioned is debatable), the mere fact that you mention it without request or provocation from anyone else is a clear "up yours" to social protocol and is therefore considered 'offensive' (read: arrogant) because anyone who reads it thinks: "how do you know?!".

Anyway, I've had enough of this futile argument which seems to be all I see in this thread nowadays. I'm not going to visit the forum for a few days while you guys handbag it out.

Geoff, hope your PS3 gets sorted out so you can go back to gaming and not have to rebut everything on this thread!
    qq moar son.

I know because I've seen the current world record videos; the current holder is the guy I beat to get it. He was a Japanese player call Cosmos and set the record like late July '08. Everyone was convinced it would be some time before it was beaten, as it was amazing, but no-one really knew of me at the time and I beat his record by a few minutes much to everyone's surprise. Apparently he was the most surprised, according to a Japanese speedrunner I know, who told me that he rushed back to MGS4 to work on a new run. He spent months working on it and it's absolutely amazing, knocked like 15 mins off my time. I could beat him if I went back to it I think, but it's not worth the stress.

ReputationRep:
    oh just incase you guys didnt already know some great news about ps3

ony has admitted that first week sales of the PlayStation 3 Slim in UK territories have vastly surpassed the company’s expectations.

Data from Chart-Track revealed that the launch of the revamped machine caused PS3 sales to skyrocket over 1000 percent. However, Mark Howsen, sales director for Sony UK, revealed that this number highly exceeded what the platform holder had in mind:

Speaking to GI.biz, Howsen commented, "The first week's Chart-Track numbers for sales of the new PlayStation 3 were ahead of our expectations, so we were extremely pleased.”

“A new price point and a new machine has proven a significant catalyst to help consumers make the move onto PS3."

Elsewhere, Howsen pledged that the company aims to sustain this momentum through a massive advertising campaign highlighting the console’s features and exclusive content, as well as services such as the PlayStation Video Store.

"Our new advertising campaign, The Game Is Just The Start, is also demystifying the value proposition," he continued. “This ongoing campaign and the addition of some great exclusive and new IPs - Uncharted: Among Thieves, EyePet, Heavy Rain - and services [such as] PlayStation Video Store, will hopefully provide even more trigger points to drive future purchases of PlayStation 3."

From the look of things, Sony’s fortunes aren’t just limited to the UK, with Japan also reporting a significant rise in hardware sales on the release of the PS3 Slim this past week. Hopefully we’ll hear how the platform is shaping up in North America soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    "up 1000%" - It's about time those 360 owners came over to the darkside! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think the 1,000% increase week-on-week is a bit misleading though.

In Japan for example, no-one could even get their hands on the old PS3 the week before the Slim came out because Sony had stopped stocking them.

People knew the new console was coming out, so would obviously not buy the old version, and wait one more week to buy the new one.

It's such a big % increase because so few were sold the week before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Hey I was reading an article on eurogamer the other day and I came across a computer shop which does PS3 repairs for £79.99.
    http://www.colchestercomputers.com/xbox.htm

They're picking up my PS3 today and usually send it back within a day or two! :yep:
    So if it all goes to plan I'll have it back before the week is out, then I'm trading it in for a Slim...
    So overall it's going to cost around £130 to get it fixed and to trade it in for a Slim with a year warranty! :woo:

Much better than paying those cheap *******s at Sony £128 just to get it back with a 3 month warranty!

Trade it in...get a Slim and maybe get extended warranty?

Apparently most of the problems caused with the YLOD relate to overheating which causes the boards to get warped, the slim uses half the power of the 60gb PS3 and has fancy heat dissipation (something like that anyways )

Hopefully the Slim will be like the Jasper revision of the 'other console'.
    Ah, maybe 3.0 is more power hungry, which meant the older models couldn't cope (and therefore overheated), but the Slims could.

How are you going to trade in the repaired PS3 with a Slim, if your old PS3 is in working condition due to the repair?

ReputationRep:
    <jumps in without reading>

is everyones ps3 blowing up :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)

Yeah, been about 3-4 in this forum so far in thep ast week or so.

And plenty more if you search google & other forums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)

if you post on this thread, your ps3 dies.

don't say we didn't warn you.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda like the video they watch on The Ring.

:yikes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Ah, maybe 3.0 is more power hungry, which meant the older models couldn't cope (and therefore overheated), but the Slims could.

How are you going to trade in the repaired PS3 with a Slim, if your old PS3 is in working condition due to the repair?
    Nah I don't think it has anything to do with that...unless Sony are evil :evil:

It's more to do with the bad way they dissipate heat or so they say because the number of ps3's breaking down has been steadily rising. It seemed like it was just Xboxes with the problem but it's becoming more apparent in PS3's too unfortunately!

To trade it in, places like Game are offering a trade in service however they rip you off, so what you do is print off the page which gives the trade in value of your ps3 say from CeX and hand it to them at game and they will give you that price for trading your ps3 in, so overall it works out at around £60 and a free game! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, could you recommend me a good/cheap 500GB HDD for my new PS3 whenever I get it?

Might as well buy it now.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, could you recommend me a good/cheap 500GB HDD for my new PS3 whenever I get it?

Might as well buy it now.
    I recently bought this one. I found it to be average price for that size HDD, however with all the amazing review I just had to get it! After a few days use it seems to be slightly quieter than the old HDD, which is being kept as a backup incase of any problems.
    I highly recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernij)
    I recently bought this one. I found it to be average price for that size HDD, however with all the amazing review I just had to get it! After a few days use it seems to be slightly quieter than the old HDD, which is being kept as a backup incase of any problems.
    I highly recommend it!
    Purchased - thanks!

Reviews look very promising indeed. Ordered a 1.5TB external HDD as well so I will be able to use one of my old 500GB external HDDs to back up my PS3. :jive:

ReputationRep:
    Purchased - thanks!

Reviews look very promising indeed. Ordered a 1.5TB external HDD as well so I will be able to use one of my old 500GB external HDDs to back up my PS3. :jive:
    where did you buy the 1.5 TB geoff? I'm looking for one as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    where did you buy the 1.5 TB geoff? I'm looking for one as well.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Driv...2479571&sr=8-1

No reviews, but the identical one with 1TB storage has got very good reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Driv...2479581&sr=8-1

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, interesting; http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

This kinda sucks:

ReputationRep:
    My 60GB has been fine so far and if anything I've been playing it more often recently. Could be that the firmware update isn't suited to the hardware in the 60GB PS3s...causing an overheat or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    My 60GB has been fine so far and if anything I've been playing it more often recently.
    Same here. I've been playing more this week than in previous months as my mate has lent me the copy of batman he got with his new ps3 slim so I can play something new.I gave him GTA and killzone 2 to play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    Hmm, interesting; http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

This kinda sucks:

I'll have a read of that later.

The video doesn't work?? :hmmmm2:

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.