Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow, i'm amazed that Dragon Ball is actually still around..

:lol:

Finished Batman AA story mode 100%.....Stellar :coma:

Challenges are tricky though....Well, they are challenging

InsaneNight map pack - infinite enemies....I got a score of 28k so far....then I looked at the top guy....8.6 MILLION!!!!Yes - MILLION! :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Picked up Resistance 2 for a tenner in Head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    Wow, i'm amazed that Dragon Ball is actually still around..

:lol:
    I still love Dragonball so i'm happy that it's coming out

ReputationRep:
    The thread has been quiet this weekend eh? I've probably noticed because I'm without my PS3 till Tuesday, but considering FIFA 10 is out this week, we should all be excited! I'm still relatively new to football games (although I've managed a few goals against the CPU on the highest difficulty; probably not a big deal for you guys, but it is for me!) and was wondering if there's any advice on strategy/tactics or indeed how to play the game well (tricks and skills included) that you could give me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmathematician)
    The thread has been quiet this weekend eh? I've probably noticed because I'm without my PS3 till Tuesday, but considering FIFA 10 is out this week, we should all be excited! I'm still relatively new to football games (although I've managed a few goals against the CPU on the highest difficulty; probably not a big deal for you guys, but it is for me!) and was wondering if there's any advice on strategy/tactics or indeed how to play the game well (tricks and skills included) that you could give me?
    Can't really give out tips on FIFA as I don't know any, but I'll be happy to give out tips on PES though! :shh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Can't really give out tips on FIFA as I don't know any, but I'll be happy to give out tips on PES though! :shh:
    That'll do, another friend of mine plays that (although he may also be coming over to the dark side, having playing the FIFA 10 demo at mine earlier this week), so it won't do me any harm.

ReputationRep:
    http://kotaku.com/5369058/gran-turis...mage-in-action

Crash damage on GT5. Seems very minimal/cosmetic to me.

http://kotaku.com/5369058/gran-turis...mage-in-action

Crash damage on GT5. Seems very minimal/cosmetic to me.
    Spot on

We've waited for eons! Japan gets it in March 2010 :eek3:

We're never going to see it....

ReputationRep:
    GT5 can **** off, as far as im concerned.

When it does come out, i'm expecting it to be absolutely flawless. Especially as it's taken 900 billion light years to finish. :creep:

If Japan get it in March 2010, then we will get it say August 2010?!

Might be a game to import, me thinks. Time to learn Japanese! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    GT5 can **** off, as far as im concerned.

When it does come out, i'm expecting it to be absolutely flawless. Especially as it's taken 900 billion light years to finish. :creep:

If Japan get it in March 2010, then we will get it say August 2010?!

Might be a game to import, me thinks. Time to learn Japanese! :woo:
    Maybe they want it to be one of the PS4's first games? That's why it's taking so long! We won't be expecting it until everyone on TSR graduates from university!

ReputationRep:
    PS4? Easy, i think you mean PS10.

No doubt most of us will be in our 90's when GT5 come out. Arthritis giving you jip while playing GT5? I am not looking forward to that :cry:

Infact, extinction of mankind will happen before it is out. Ahh, so that is their plan... Crafty!!

ReputationRep:
    PS4? Easy, i think you mean PS10.

No doubt most of us will be in our 90's when GT5 come out. Arthritis giving you jip while playing GT5? I am not looking forward to that :cry:

Infact, extinction of mankind will happen before it is out. Ahh, so that is their plan... Crafty!!
    And then the Playstation robot will take over the world! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiringmathematician)
    That'll do, another friend of mine plays that (although he may also be coming over to the dark side, having playing the FIFA 10 demo at mine earlier this week), so it won't do me any harm.
    OK let's see. Big post coming up!

First of all you need to sort out the formation. I have always found that 4-3-3 works best. Ideally, you'll want to have left footed players in the RMF and RWF positions and likewise right footed players in the LMF and LWF positions. This will enable you to cut in from their respective sides and shoot from distance on their stronger foot.

The DMF/CM position should not be a person who is only good at defensive duties. Players like Fabregas, Xavi, Essien and Park Ji Sung are ideal for this as they are all more than capable of scoring from distance and going on mazy runs. You want this position to be filled with a slightly more attacking player than a defensive player.

The CF position should be filled by a player with good shooting accuracy, and in general the best attacking stat in your team. Strength and speed are also very nice to have (Eto'o is easily the best player in this position). It's obviously important to have good finishing ability in this position as they will be the guys getting you the goals from corners and bundling homes. Plus they can chip in a lot of goals from dribbling and scoring from distance.

For example, my Arsenal PES team would be:

Almunia
    Sagna-Gallas-Silvestre-Clichy
    Nasri-Fabregas-Rosicky
    Van Persie-Eduardo-Arshavin

So the obvious weakness is Nasri as he won't be able to score many from distance using his left foot. The RMF position is normally my weakest player as there aren't many left-footed midfielders. In this case, I would normally have Nasri get to the the end of the pitch and send in crosses using his right-foot, instead of attempting to dribble through the defence and score with his left.

Good example of my tactics in action if you watch the video in my profile.

In terms of dribbling, you'll generally want you best players to do this job and score from distance (Rosicky and Arshavin in my team). I find that dribbling with a right-footed player is a lot easier than dribbling with a left-footed player. Not sure why though. Remember you shouldn't be running at full pelt if you want to dribble through many players. Keep things fairly slow, moving diagonally through the field. Once you start to get close to the opposition penalty area, start accelerating into a good goal scoring position, taking into account if your player is left or right footed, and unleash a shot. Scoring from distance is a lot to do with the timing, so get a bit of practice in, and you'll be scoring screamers in no time.

For corners, you'll want to send in in-swinging corners from both sides. In my Arsenal team, I would have RVP take the corners from the right, and Rosicky take the corners from the left. In-swingers work very well in PES2009 for some reason and you always get players running in and just glancing the ball into the goal.

In terms of which players to send up during set-plays, pick the players with good heading/jump stats (usually the centre-backs). This is a useful tip as your centre backs score some precious goals in corners.

Onto defending now. You'll want to be pressing X a lot when trying to get the ball, and use Square as well when the opposition is on the wings, trying to send in a cross. Two players are normally enough to get the ball off a player on the wings, or otherwise force them into a poor cross/pass.

You'll also want to cut out the angles when the opposition striker is with the ball in a good position. Force him into wider areas when possible.

So that's sort of the basics to PES I guess. The main thing is to practice. Here are some other team sheets I use in PES:

Spoiler:
    Show

Man United:
    VDS
    Brown-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra
    Giggs-Park-Nani
    Owen-Berbatov-Rooney

Barcelona:
    Valdes
    Alves-Puyol-Milito-Maxwell
    Bojan-Xavi-Iniesta
    Messi-Ibrahimovic-Henry

Real Madrid:
    Casillas
    Sergio Ramos-Pepe-Raul Albiol-Drenthe
    Van der Vaart-Alonso-Kaka
    Raul-Benzema-Ronaldo

Inter:
    Julio Cesar
    Cordoba-Samuel-Materazzi-Chivu
    Zanetti-Sneijder-Stankovic
    Suazo-Eto'o-Mancini

I really miss my PS3 now. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Play.com is selling psp go at 200 pounds... this is getting quite enticing, with the gran turismo game free... and the damn thing looks so sexy. hmmm anyone give any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    More beautiful GT5 screens:

ReputationRep:
    PSP Go for £200? Are they having a giraffe? :lol:

I wouldn't even pay £150 for that ugly piece of crap! :eek2:

Those GT5 screenshots look good. Shame we have a long wait for the game!

ReputationRep:
    :drool: Looks so nice...but such a long wait.....December now isn't it?

Does anyone know if GT5 will have damage on or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    :drool: Looks so nice...but such a long wait.....December now isn't it?

Does anyone know if GT5 will have damage on or not?
    Yeah read the past couple of pages - it's only out in Japan in March next year, and there is damage albeit it seems far from perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah read the past couple of pages - it's only out in Japan in March next year, and there is damage albeit it seems far from perfect.
    :lolwut: Game and Play are playing the release date this year? Or are you saying that we get in December and the Japs get it in March yeah?

You would have thought after years of them working on this one game it would be perfect...why do you say it's not perfect? Has it been released on GT5 prologue yet?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.