Turn on thread page Beta

Why is the country so London centric? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not just economically, but culturally? Sure, I understand it's size and that important stuff goes on there. No-one wants to chnage that. But why is it so much the attitudel that anyone with savvy, ambition or who is fashionable has to gravitate there?
    Well, maybe everywhere else is thriving, but this imo media led snobbery encourages it not to. More generally, why is there this idea that if you are a remotely interesting person you must gravitate to somehere big and that anyone living somewhere smaller and less trendy must be a deadweight?

Empty vessels float to the surface and all that.

What is your view?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you do this before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    Didn't you do this before?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Well I remember a thread very similar to this, with the OP suggesting that the capital be Liverpool :dry:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Not just economically, but culturally? Sure, I understand it's size and that important stuff goes on there. No-one wants to chnage that. But why is it so much the attitudel that anyone with savvy, ambition or who is fashionable has to gravitate there?
    Well, maybe everywhere else is thriving, but this imo media led snobbery encourages it not to. More generally, why is there this idea that if you are a remotely interesting person you must gravitate to somehere big and that anyone living somewhere smaller and less trendy must be a deadweight?

What is your view?
    Compared to some countries, stuff in the UK is quite spread out. If you look at France, everything to do with the government is in Paris, everything in the financial sector is in La Défense (about 5 minutes West of Paris), all the big universities are in the Paris region, most of the tourism landmarks are in Paris or the surrounding area, etc... and although there are communities and other cities with their own attractions and suchlike, that exists to a lesser extent than in the UK. I really think you're blowing up the situation, anyway, I've never found it to be that bad (or perhaps I'm just a sheltered Yorkshireman).

ReputationRep:
    It's an alpha world city right? Whatever that means :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    London's great. It's people's opinions of it.

ReputationRep:
    coz it's the capital?

ReputationRep:
    London is the capital. er, what else is there to expect?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I noticed this at uni - people always talked about visiting London etc, whereas i live there and never considered visiting other UK cities - why would they consider visiting here? I guess its just that London has more attractions and tbh its probably economically beneficial to have it that way.

ReputationRep:
    It's the same in Italy in a different respect - all the young qualified people go to the North of the country, leaving the South because there is low employment there and little opportunity.

Which does nothing to solve South Italy's problems, so I guess the North of England is similar in a respect though not nearly so badly afflicted.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, maybe people get "street cred" for living in a capital as it is more recognised? plus there is the whole ideology that if you move to the capital city you will make it big time and become sucessful etc...

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually been to London before to make such ignorant claims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    London's great. It's people's opinions of it.
    Don't get me wrong, I like London, but the hype is too much, it's not that great compared to Paris or New York. It's actually pretty grotty and **** to live in. I mmean, go down the oub, see a band or a film, well so what, I can do that most towns.

Yes,to the other guy I acknowledge we don't have our best unis there.
    And we have some good stuff in Manchester. But it still dominates, maybe not to Paris's degree.

But Spains got Barca and Madrid. Italy- Rome, MNilan, Firenze, Venice Turin etc.

USA-LA, NYC, Chicago, Washington. Aus-Melbourne Sydney Canberra(government)

We are too focused on it.

But, I've been digressing. The main point I'm trying to make is why is there this stupid prejudice that you are the centre of the earth if you live there, or anyone who's interesting or trendy or had any drive couldn't live somewhere small? It's what you make of it life right?
    Why is life so boring or are you so boring if you live in Bury St Edmunds?

London has over 7 million people, that's insane. That is more than a lot of countries, and it's nearly the size of New York - it's more than any other American city besides that.

The second biggest UK city is still under a million, so that's hugely behind. Some cities we consider large are nothing compared to London, e.g. Newcastle is a mere 200,000 or so.

With that sheer vastness and population, of course its an important part of the UK!

ReputationRep:
    Internationally, it's one of two (arguably three) of the most culturally and economically important cities in the world.

Whereas nationally, us Brits just see it as being big, smelly old London :awesome: And rightly so! - there's a lot more to the UK than London. Though it being in the dominant position it's in is entirely logical.

Edit: I'd say most countries are the same, if not worse. Lyon has no where near Paris' influence, for example, and provincial France hates Parisian 'technocrats' taking local decisions for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)

What is your view?
    Why is this in the politics forum?

ReputationRep:
    Because none of we civilised people residing in the London vicinity want to venture into the untamed, pie-infested, uncultured wilderness that is . . .The North :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soda__Dreamer)
    Have you actually been to London before to make such ignorant claims?
    I live right near it. It's not ignorant, I know how London centric all the industries and media is- virtually everyone I meet is so into it and reckons living there makes them cool. Don't blame them cos it has got a buzz, and it does make you feel part of it, but it's a bit silly to assume that it isn't what you do of substance that matters, and that eveything goes on there.
    Don't get carried away thinking you're reeally cool with it. As I say,it's like the only people living in remote places are seen as like crusties or new age hippies, and that I find bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    London has over 7 million people, that's insane. That is more than a lot of countries, and it's nearly the size of New York - it's more than any other American city besides that.

The second biggest UK city is still under a million, so that's hugely behind. Some cities we consider large are nothing compared to London, e.g. Newcastle is a mere 200,000 or so.

With that sheer vastness and population, of course its an important part of the UK!
    It's actually 12-14 greater London. Uh..Manchester is about 3million, grtr manchester, Birmingham is way bigger so where you get the under a mill thing I don't know.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.