Turn on thread page Beta

Why is the country so London centric? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Internationally, it's one of two (arguably three) of the most culturally and economically important cities in the world.

Whereas nationally, us Brits just see it as being big, smelly old London :awesome: And rightly so! - there's a lot more to the UK than London
    Economically yeah. But culturally? Hell, I'd say Oxbridge, Manchester and Edinburgh, even Bristol and Brighton rival it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinendal Leralonde)
    Oh. Well I remember a thread very similar to this, with the OP suggesting that the capital be Liverpool :dry:
    Is Right! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Don't get me wrong, I like London, but the hype is too much, it's not that great compared to Paris or New York. It's actually pretty grotty and **** to live in. I mmean, go down the oub, see a band or a film, well so what, I can do that most towns.

Yes,to the other guy I acknowledge we don't have our best unis there.
    And we have some good stuff in Manchester. But it still dominates, maybe not to Paris's degree.

But Spains got Barca and Madrid. Italy- Rome, MNilan, Firenze, Venice Turin etc.

USA-LA, NYC, Chicago, Washington. Aus-Melbourne Sydney Canberra(government)

We are too focused on it.

But, I've been digressing. The main point I'm trying to make is why is there this stupid prejudice that you are the centre of the earth if you live there, or anyone who's interesting or trendy or had any drive couldn't live somewhere small? It's what you make of it life right?
    Why is life so boring or are you so boring if you live in Bury St Edmunds?
    I agree. I want to move to Vancouver..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Because none of we civilised people residing in the London vicinity want to venture into the untamed, pie-infested, uncultured wilderness that is . . .The North :hmmm:
    Thats what I mean -loada residents like that. If cultured is happy slapping, fights on buses, yardies, drug dealers in bmws and kebab shops maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I mean -loada residents like that. If cultured is happy slapping, fights on buses, yardies, drug dealers in bmws and kebab shops maybe.
    Are you trying to argue these are exclusive to London? :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    Well of course it is. It's the capital city. The most important decisions are made in Westminster. Thatcher based most of this country's economy into a square mile area. The newspapers are based in London, as well as the radio and the news stations.

The countries best two Universities are outside London.

The only way to make the country less London centric would be to move the capital city to somewhere else. I suggest the most central city in the United Kingdom. Hmmmm.

It's actually 12-14 greater London. Uh..Manchester is about 3million, grtr manchester, Birmingham is way bigger so where you get the under a mill thing I don't know.
    I'm not talking about the 'greater' region, just the actual cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Are you trying to argue these are exclusive to London? :wtf:
    No. Just that it isn't really all that great. I just find the idea that you go there to achieve anything and anywhere quieter is dull is an odd one.
    Its' like why would you not want to the whole country to be thriving?

ReputationRep:
    It's actually 12-14 greater London. Uh..Manchester is about 3million, grtr manchester, Birmingham is way bigger so where you get the under a mill thing I don't know.
    Some statistics...Brum is actually 900,000+, though the whole West Midlands takes that to 2.5 million (some people would be indignant if you suggested Brum = West Midlands :p: ). Manchester is 400,000 (Greater Manchester is 2.5 million). London is 8 million (Greater London)/12 million (urban area)/14 million (metropolitan area) depending on which statistics float your boat

And as for culture, all those places you mentioned are rich in it, but London has provided it consistently, and on a greater, world scale, for the best part of 2000 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I'm not talking about the 'greater' region, just the actual cities.
    That just comes down to an on paper decision though, that doesn't mean much.
    The greater area is a better judge because that stops when it genuinely becomes (or has patch of) countryside. You could set London's city boundaries way smaller. I mean how's it defined, you get me?

ReputationRep:
    Because London is fab.

That just comes down ti an on paper decision though that don't mean much.
    The greater area is a better judge because that stops when it genuinely becomes or has patch of countryside. You could set London's city boundaries way smaller. I mean how's it defined, you get me?
    Defining what constitutes a city gets difficult when it gets into the millions, I agree. I don't really give much of a crap about it either - this isn't a very interesting discussion, I'm going to take my leave. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    And as for culture, all those places are rich in it, but London has provided it consistently, and on a greater, world scale, for the best part of 2000 years
    Birmingham and Manchester, and Liverpool and Newcastle and Bristol have produced loadsa music. London has alsoo but not much more, Manchester has produced tons of comedy, as has the north, and L'pol and Man U are perhpas the greatest clubs in our history. Manchester and Liverpool, and the norht was the hub of the industrial revoloution, l'pool was a financial centre, and industrial one etc, London took all the wealth from the industrial revoloution, which northeners have right to be annoyed about.

ReputationRep:
    Cos' it's priddy:

:love:

ReputationRep:
    Greater London is the only official extent at which London is called London. So therefore Greater London = London. Croydon is as much London as is Charing Cross. Just to clear that up.

It carries such influence as the UK is an extremely densely populated country and therefore all media and official bases are in London.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because of all the big political stuff that goes on there and the influence that it has on Britain in general. But saying that, im from Birmingham and our city centre is great and i know we are a major contributor for many industries and have lots of good, successful people.

ReputationRep:
    History.

London has dominated England since the middle-ages. Paris has never dominated France in quite the same way; the same is the case for nearly every country you might care to name.

It was basically because of trade. London was a much larger trade centre than most other capital cities. This remains the case: London brings in a LOT more money than somewhere like Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Cos London Rules...i Love It..!

London isn't everybody's cup of tea
    Often you hear visitors complain
    Noisy smoky city but it seems to me
    There's a magic in the fog and rain...

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham and Manchester, and Liverpool and Newcastle and Bristol have produced loadsa music. London has alsoo but not much more, Manchester has produced tons of comedy, as has the north, and L'pol and Man U are perhpas the greatest clubs in our history. Manchester and Liverpool, and the norht was the hub of the industrial revoloution, l'pool was a financial centre, and industrial one etc, London took all the wealth from the industrial revoloution, which northeners have right to be annoyed about.
    This is all very true, but as I said London has simply been on the scene for a whole lot longer. Industrial revolution, league football, pop music, slave trade wealth (as regards Bristol/Liverpool) - yes, we regard many as intrinsic to British culture today, but all these things only happened in the past 200 years or so.

Also, although I'm incredibly biased, I agree with Northerners losing out :p:
    though northern cities simply didn't move with the times - the Docklands as they were before, and as they are now, are the perfect example of how the UK's economy has long since changed. The North's loss was London's gain

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.