Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is the country so London centric? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I personally prefer Manchester. Has a similar vibe IMO, without the general impersonality and jokes of house prices London has. Literally, about 4 months ago i saw a studio for £450,000. :facepalm: . In any other city in Britain, that would get you something pretty substantial.

ReputationRep:
    Someone was quoted saying that everywhere in Britain is just a suburb of London - I can't remember who it was.

ReputationRep:
    London is that way, because there's a vicious circle of funding going on. I.e. london gets more funding, which makes it more important, so in turn it must have even further funding. £21bn being spent on Crossrail, which won't serve London's busiest tube interchange, or serve meaningful destinations, effectivley being a second central line. A similar figure for the olympics, which will create a stadium of 20k in East London that nobody wants.

At the same time, leeds is turned down for £300m for a tram system, Nottingham's tram extension has been rejected, and the number of new rail carriages going to Northern trains (who said they needed 300+) has fallen from 198 (original DfT estimate) to 102.

But london's getting loads of money, so everything's dandy. I know this is a little transport-focused, but it's my forte and best provider of case studies.

Basically, we need massive decentralisation. There's no reason all government departments need to be in London, they (and the multitude of Quangos, authorities etc.) should be spread out across the country, and more public money should be given to projects in the north and midlands areas over and above the south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richiboi)
    I personally prefer Manchester. Has a similar vibe IMO, without the general impersonality and jokes of house prices London has. Literally, about 4 months ago i saw a studio for £450,000. :facepalm: . In any other city in Britain, that would get you something pretty substantial.
    Manchester is wicked. I would hardly say it had a similar feel to Londond though. It's another world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Manchester is wicked. I would hardly say it had a similar feel to Londond though. It's another world.
    Dude, i live in possibly the dullest large town ever, 60-ish miles from Manchester. ANY city has a good vibe, so im probably not that tuned in on the differences yet. Im looking forward to living in the big city.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, i live in possibly the dullest large town ever, 60-ish miles from Manchester. ANY city has a good vibe, so im probably not that tuned in on the differences yet. Im looking forward to living in the big city.
    Crewe? Can't be that bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Crewe? Can't be that bad
    Your right, its not like its Brixton or Darfur or anything like that, its just... undeniably dull! We only got a bowling alley 5 years back, have all the nightclubs 4 miles away in Nantwich, and sod all decent shops. We dont even get any of the prestige associated with Cheshire as a nice place; theres miles of nothing between us and Chester, Alderley Edge etc. We are actually closer to Stoke *shudder*, and loads have the horrible Stoke accent in Crewe.

ReputationRep:
    Your right, its not like its Brixton or Darfur or anything like that, its just... undeniably dull! We only got a bowling alley 5 years back, have all the nightclubs 4 miles away in Nantwich, and sod all decent shops. We dont even get any of the prestige associated with Cheshire as a nice place; theres miles of nothing between us and Chester, Alderley Edge etc. We are actually closer to Stoke *shudder*, and loads have the horrible Stoke accent in Crewe.
    Ah yes..de ja vu now. So how much time you spent in Madchestuh?

ReputationRep:
    Well, ive been up several times for shopping, cricket matches, uni days, and have just fallen in love with the place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.