Turn on thread page Beta

People who point out spelling errors during a TSR debate... watch

• View Poll Results: these people...
    are a pathetic, fastidious disgrace to humanity.
    83.33%
    are valuable members steering us away from that fatal hazard, the "typo".
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    Why do people do this?

Inevitably person A has just made a intelligent (often definitive) responce to person B who, incapable of a meaningful reply resorts to;

"OMG you don't even know what you're talking about, maybe you should learn to SPELL before you engage in debate!!!"

This a frankly pathetic attempt to deflect attention away from person B's intellectual stupidity by attempting to patronise person A. It is done shamelessly and in spite of the fact that person B knows full well that it is not a thesis that person A is composing and that the reply was speed typed with no intention of a spell check, it was just an innocent typo.

Upon posting person B will chuckle by himself, no one will hear him as he lives alone, he will then go and hit a small puppy with a baseball bat because that is the sort of cretin he is.

ReputationRep:
    Bitter much? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul_r)
    Why do people do this?

Inevitably person A has just made a intelligent (often definitive) responce to person B who, incapable of a meaningful reply resorts to;

"OMG you don't even know what you're talking about, maybe you should learn to SPELL before you engage in debate!!!"

This a frankly pathetic attempt to deflect attention away from person B's intellectual stupidity by attempting to patronise person A. It is done shamelessly and in spite of the fact that person B knows full well that it is not a thesis that person A is composing and that the reply was speed typed with no intention of a spell check, it was just an innocent typo.

Upon posting person B will chuckle by himself, no one will hear him as he lives alone, he will then go and hit a small puppy with a baseball bat because that is the sort of cretin he is.
    *response

To answer your question - I don't really care about an individual's spelling, so long as it's clear they've tried to write properly and not use text speak.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people do this?

Please say that was deliberate..

ReputationRep:
    Lol this provided some mild amusement :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    *response

haha

I hate you like I've never hated anyone before in my life.

fair play though.

ReputationRep:
    If it bothers you that much, just ignore them. Some people value spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    If it bothers you that much, just ignore them. Some people value spelling.
    And let them win?

I too value spelling, it's why I own a dictionary. I don't actually mind it when I want to know how to spell a word (I am always getting responc/se confused, ha).

But it's when I reply in anger as such;

"and here is why you are fatally wtong..."

Only for the person to ignore my criticism and flag up how I spelt "wrong" incorrectly, normally accompanied by some comment like "what are you 8!!!".

It's so pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    And let them win?
    Think about it this way. In a week, it won't matter. To even get annoyed about something like this is ridiculously petty. Like. Can this really annoy you that much.

Drumming up a thread and poll about it isn't going to change anything.

ReputationRep:
    OP is cool

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.