Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is anti-semitism a problem in Europe anymore? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I may be being ignorant. Other than may be the odd distasteful holocaust joke it does not appear so prevalent at all, is this an ingrained sence of guilt I wonder?

Because I am aware that before the "final solution" it really was a problem, Disraeli was villified because of it in Britain, pograms in Russia and I need not mention Germany.

Or am I missing something?

It also appears to me that perhaps Black rascism is being lessened by an increase in Asian rascism in recent years. Is this a fair observation?

ReputationRep:
    In der ghetto
    OR
    Train to Auschwitz

As Bruno would say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul_r)
    I may be being ignorant. Other than may be the odd distasteful holocaust joke it does not appear so prevalent at all, is this an ingrained sence of guilt I wonder?

Because I am aware that before the "final solution" it really was a problem, Disraeli was villified because of it in Britain, pograms in Russia and I need not mention Germany.

It also appears to me that perhaps Black rascism is being lessened by an increase in Asian rascism in recent years. Is this a fair observation?
    You'll still find anti-semites in pretty much any country in the world. 19th century racism is very different to 21st century racism.

Lessened or masked? Its more xenophobia rather than racism, and as recent immigrants tend to be North African muslims in europe (well, france anyway from what i hear) it tends to also be islamophobia.

Whenever it occurs I see that as a problem, it's not about counting noses, its the principle involved.

However I don't think society currently focuses on blacks or jews as being bad - brown is definitely the new black, in that they've become the main target for racism.

I blame the government and the fear they want us to have towards middle eastern people to justify their unpopular wars. If we didn't have such interventionist foreign policy maybe we wouldn't have enemies all the time. We're creating them for ourselves, or rather, the government is creating them for the public its supposedly looking after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Whenever it occurs I see that as a problem, it's not about counting noses, its the principle involved.

However I don't think society currently focuses on blacks or jews as being bad - brown is definitely the new black, in that they've become the main target for racism.

I blame the government and the fear they want us to have towards middle eastern people to justify their unpopular wars. If we didn't have such interventionist foreign policy maybe we wouldn't have enemies all the time. We're creating them for ourselves, or rather, the government is creating them for the public its supposedly looking after.
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mwoah)
    In der ghetto
    OR
    Train to Auschwitz

As Bruno would say.
    Off topic but, I don't remember Bruno saying that :rolleyes:

(Original post by Lefty_P)
    :mmm:
    Oh grow up. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manwithaplan)
    Off topic but, I don't remember Bruno saying that :rolleyes:
    On the TV show, not the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pak5ALMdkbE

ReputationRep:
    It may not be as much of a problem as it was in the past - just as homophobia and sexism aren't as serious issues as they were in the past - however, that does not mean that anti-Semitism is dead.

It also appears to me that perhaps Black rascism is being lessened by an increase in Asian rascism in recent years.
    Do you have evidence to support this claim?

ReputationRep:

Not a problem?!

Have you heard about the murder of Ilan Halimi?

Graves being desecrated in Germany and France?

Muslims protesting: "go back to the ovens" in European countries?

ReputationRep:
    In Poland - yes it is. You can see a lot of crossed out Jewish stars on buildings in every town.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mwoah)
    On the TV show, not the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pak5ALMdkbE
    Ahh I see, he looks so different on TV than in the movie.

Back on topic: Yes, I think it is still a problem it is merely less visible, There's also been a rise in New-Antisemitism which contributes to this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about anti, but when I go to Eastern Europe they're always talking about Jews, as much as we talk about Muslims. It's not racist though, more like 'oh that lawyer's a jew'.

ReputationRep:
    As long as semitism is a problem in Europe, yes. What is semitism? Jews being jews? Difficult one. Israel was supposed to solve these problems. The problem in Europe is semitism manifests as Communism, globalism, diversity, anti-nationalist and other pro-jewish/anti-European ideas.

There is no smoke without fire. So what came to Europe first, semitism or anti-semitism?

Here is a partial list of all the areas from which the Jews have been banished from, sometimes on numerous occasions, over the last thousand years.

Mainz 1012 Lithuania 1495
    France 1182 Portugal 1496
    Upper Bavaria 1276 Naples 1496
    England 1290 Navarre 1498
    France 1306 Nuremberg 1498
    France 1322 Brandenburg 1510
    Saxony 1349 Prussia 1510
    Hungary 1360 Genoa 1515
    Belgium 1370 Naples 1533
    Slovakia 1380 Italy 1540
    France 1394 Naples 1541
    Austria 1420 Prague 1541
    Lyons 1420 Genoa 1550
    Cologne 1424 Bavaria 1551
    Mainz 1438 Prague 1557
    Augsburg 1438 Papal States 1569
    Upper Bavaria 1442 Hungary 1582
    Netherlands 1444 Hamburg 1649
    Brandenburg 1446 Vienna 1669
    Mainz 1462 Slovakia 1744
    Mainz 1483 Moravia 1744
    Warsaw 1483 Bohemia 1744
    Spain 1492 Moscow 1891
    Italy 1492

In his book, “L’antisémitisme son histoire et ses causes,” published in 1894, noted Jewish author, Bernard Lazare, stated the following with regard to these expulsions of Jews,

“If this hostility, even aversion, had only been shown towards the Jews at one period and in one country, it would be easy to unravel the limited causes of this anger, but this race has been on the contrary an object of hatred to all the peoples among whom it has established itself. It must be therefore, since the enemies of the Jews belonged to the most diverse races, since they lived in countries very distant from each other, since they were ruled by very different laws, governed by opposite principles, since they had neither the same morals, nor the same customs, since they were animated by unlike dispositions which did not permit them to judge of anything in the same way, it must be therefore that the general cause of anti-Semitism has always resided in Israel itself and not in those who have fought against Israel.”
    Professor Jesse H. Holmes, writing in, “The American Hebrew,” expressed the following similar sentiments,

“It can hardly be an accident that antagonism directed against the Jews is to be found pretty much everywhere in the world where Jews and non-Jews are associated. And as the Jews are the common element of the situation it would seem probable, on the face of it, that the cause will be found in them, rather than in the widely varying groups which feel this antagonism.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JectioN)
    It may not be as much of a problem as it was in the past - just as homophobia and sexism aren't as serious issues as they were in the past - however, that does not mean that anti-Semitism is dead.

Of course not, but is certainly less pronounced.

Do you have evidence to support this claim?
    No, none at all. But I'm not trying to argue this is the point am I, it's more a casual observation and I was wondering whether anyone felt the same way. Do you disagree, if so why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borismor)
    Not a problem?!

Have you heard about the murder of Ilan Halimi?

Graves being desecrated in Germany and France?

Muslims protesting: "go back to the ovens" in European countries?
    I didn't say it's not a problem, as long as the last bigot slurs his racial ignorance there is still a problem.

For each of those there are dozens of counter-examples of Black and Asian rascism.

In comparison to anti-Asian/Black sentiments it seems, less pronounced don't you think? Hop down to to your local BNP hang out and I think they'll bemoan the "asian invasion" more than there anti-semitic twaddle...

Do you disagree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    I don't know about anti, but when I go to Eastern Europe they're always talking about Jews, as much as we talk about Muslims. It's not racist though, more like 'oh that lawyer's a jew'.
    That's interesting.

I don't go to Eastern Europe often, perhaps it is more prevalant over there.

ReputationRep:
    In comparison to anti-Asian/Black sentiments it seems, less pronounced don't you think? Hop down to to your local BNP hang out and I think they'll bemoan the "asian invasion" more than there anti-semitic twaddle.
    True but, the BNP arn't representive of racism in the UK. Just because they are represented more in the media (and a lot on TSR for some reason) doesn't mean that there is less anti-semitism.
    It also depends on what view you take, some of my Black and Asian friends have been affected indirectly by racism e.g. Protests, BNP, The TV and Media however, they tell me that rarely does someone insult them directly whereas there have been quite a few (not often but, a lot I'd say) incidents that have directly affected me in which people are anti-semetic to me and other Jewish people I know.
    It could also be argued that ignorance to believe lies, the influence of leftist values and Muslim antisemitism propogates Neo-Antisemitism. Which is heightened during conflicts and incidents such as the recent Gaza war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisem...g_the_Gaza_War

ReputationRep:
    anti-semetism is still a major problem. However, people these days tend to exchange the word Jew to Zionist and then still use the same insults but try to give it legitimy by making it political rather than religious or racist. But its still the same thing

ReputationRep:
    It exists, it may be hidden, or under the surface, but it definitely exists.

Anti-semitism doesn't have to mean the persecution of Jews, it can just refer to the prejudice against Jews, which definitely exists. The stigma and stereotypes are still believed by some.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.