Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I have a car at leicester and tbh I wouldnt be without it.

Not very many people bring a car at all so I imagine its pretty easy to live without it, but having a car is so much more convenient- especially for things like food shopping. Its also great for being able to go home whenever you want, and at the end of each term. I also found that my petrol costs to get home when visiting were less than the cost of a train ticket, even with a railcard.

Car parking permit at John Foster has been £50 a year for the last 2 years for me. Theres pretty ample parking at halls. Around some of the buildings (Huncote, John o'gaunt, Kilby) its slightly limited as thats where alot of the disabled parking gaps are, but you'll be able to get a space easily.

Parking outside uni is a bit hit and miss. At certain times of the day you can pretty much always get a gap literally right outside the uni (usually late afternoon) but at other times you'll struggle. Either way, theres a private car park just around the corner that costs about £1/£1.20 an hour to park. (whereas outside the uni it'll cost a max of £3.10 for the whole day)

Ive had no problem with issues of theft regarding my car, but whilst parked in John Foster last year some ******* dented my car whilst it was parked in the car park. It was in the shape of an arm, so presumably some idiot fell on it whilst drunk (as it was the night of the christmas ball) No cctv in the car park meant I never found out who was responsible and no one was decent enough to own up.

And to add, a bus pass has been around £220 a year for the last 2 years. Bus services are quite frequent and not a major incovenience alot of the time, but it really will depend on what times your lectures are. If you have a time table thats pretty forgiving (ie in around 11, done by about 4pm) then you'll be fine bus wise, as the buses generally dont get overly busy at those times. But if you a majority ofll early starts and/or late finishes thats when it becomes a pain in the bum especially in the first term when its cold, dark and wet alot of the time and buses are busier than usual.

Hope thats helpful, sorry for the essay. If you want to know anything else, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    Did you purchase a bus pass? All I really need a car for is to take me to work when I don't wnat to be counting on bus schedules etc. but I thought that I'd get a bus pass too to go to the uni because I heard parking was next to impossible there. Is that advisable to do or just silly?

ReputationRep:
    You could purchase a termly bus pass and see how it does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectimperfection)
    Did you purchase a bus pass? All I really need a car for is to take me to work when I don't wnat to be counting on bus schedules etc. but I thought that I'd get a bus pass too to go to the uni because I heard parking was next to impossible there. Is that advisable to do or just silly?
    I got a bus pass as well yeah. I get the bus into uni most of the time, and drive in every so often, once a week or so, depending what time my lectures are (and hense how likely I am to get a parking space outside the uni itself)

My car is mostly for going home to visit (as petrol costs are alot cheaper than train prices and I go home frequently)

And also for going food shopping. You have no idea how much of an asset a car is for that. No buses run to the local supermarket, and from John Foster its quite a walk, which is fine for one or two items but for a weeks food shopping, its near impossible unless you pay to have it delivered or get a taxi.

ReputationRep:
    I live at home, so can't say much about parking at halls, but when I have been to friends' halls, there's always been space to park.

Unfortunately, you can't park directly on campus. There are pay and display spaces on the main road, but unless you go early these are nearly always full. However, there is a car park just by Victoria Park, about 5 minutes walk away. You walk alongside the park, which I guess can be quite scenic, so it's not all bad. Of course, you have to pay there, and depending on your hours it could add up to quite a bit, but still, I think that would be better than getting the bus. It always looks packed!

ReputationRep:
    last year, bus passes cost around £240 for a full year, so this year they'll probably be around the same price. there is a regular bus going into uni/town every 10/30 minutes (for town) and back but if you're into walking, to uni shouldnt take longer than 40 minutes
    there's always parking space in halls, even though there is a fair amount of students who bring their cars to uni, i think a parking permit is around £50 for a whole year and to keep your bike in the designated sheds is 10 pounds for the year.
    most of my friends waited to see how things are first, then brought their cars to uni after the first term but its up to you

ReputationRep:
    Its well worth it. If you're in GMS you don't really need a parking permit (No-one had one last year). Not sure about JF and Digby. But with GMS you'd have no problem, and theres plenty of space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    Thanks timetokill, I like the essay and others for answering

So taking the car can be convenient as the buses are mostly packed. Parking permits are easy to get and cheap, as parking at accommodation is available.

But my main worry is parking at Uni itself, Im going to do management so I dont know which building its at. But for example if I cant park at uni then I will have to park in the car park right, for which I will have to pay. Now say I have uni 3 days a week and I have to be there 3-4 hours, as you can imagine that can get pretty expensive - around £12.

So for those who have cars at uni, how often do you have to go to campus? how often do you find parking at campus? and if you cant on average how much do you spend on car parking?

sorry for so many questions, but Im trying to get a better idea of what to do, either car it or bus it. My parents dont want me to take car, as they think it will be more expensive than the bus and Ill always go out lol
    Apart from the medical building (which is only across the road) everythings on one site so what building you are at isnt relevent, you'll park in the same place regardless.

Put simply: If you buy a return ticket to get you from halls to Uni everyday it will cost you £3.30 a time (based on last years prices, it may well go up next semester)

If you opt to buy a 1 year bus pass in advance, it averages out to around £8 a week, so about £1.60 a day. Thats with unlimited use and you can use it on all other arriva buses aswell, not just the uni ones.

If you park outside uni, it will cost you a MAX of £3.10 a day for which you get 12 hours of parking.

In the long term, if you are going to be in uni everyday (which Im sure you will be in your first year) it will probably work out cheaper to buy the 1 year bus pass in advance, especially since you can also use it to get into town and to explore the city, which presumably you will want to do.

What everyone else spends on car parking and how often they are in uni wont be of any use to you at all because it all depends on your timetable.

Also, im not sure if you have misunderstood, but there is NO free car parking at uni. You will have to pay every time you go there.

ReputationRep:
    I knew a fair few people that brought a car and almost all of them had bus passes as well. In the first month or so you'll probably hate the buses if you have many 9 oclock lectures. As mentioned before, it is very convenient to have the car so you can drive to Asda (Everyone will seriously love you for this) and for the occasional trip to other parts of the city.

Its just really not worth driving to lectures though, traffic is pretty much at a standstill on London road at rush hour, you've got no guarantee of finding a good space and there's nothing to really gain over not getting the bus. Furthermore, the buses run into the night too and so even for getting to the union for a night out it can be very useful.

With regards to halls, at Beaumont there wasn't really much issue with spaces, close to the end of the year it started to get busier for some reason (More people bringing their cars down) but it was more an issue that people had 'their' space taken! I don't know how much it cost exactly but half the people didn't bother paying, every so often management would stick an A4 page to their windscreen telling them to pay off or face being clamped which never happened.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.