Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The LSE website says you need AAA (including an A in Mathematics) to get in.

But what are realistic grades that people get? If you're in LSE what grades did you get at for an A level and what subjects were they for?

Also,
    A level: A* in Mathematics, A* in Economics, A* in <IT/Business Studies/etc>
    AS level: A in Further Maths, A in Physics
    Would grades in the above quote compete well for an economics course at LSE?

People at LSE have a minimum of BBB at A-level. Most have AAA-AAB and many AAAA-AABB.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't actually achieved these grades quoted though? However if you are capable of getting these grades I would opt for Cambridge or Oxbridge rather than LSE. Just my opinion mind.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to a course which said their standard offer was AAB and I got an offer for AAB including Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Would 3xA* compete well? oh.. awfully.. everyone is going to get that... Seriously.. what do you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielj315)
    Would 3xA* compete well? oh.. awfully.. everyone is going to get that... Seriously.. what do you think.
    Yes, but one of those A*s is in a 'blacklisted' subject. I assume that's what the OP was trying to make reference to.

ReputationRep:
    Ooops... apologies I'm a little grouchy today!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, people actually make it in with BBB? Must be pretty rare...

I guess A* and A's coupled with enrichment stuff would be enough to entice any top uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielj315)
    I'm sorry.. i was just wondering..

ReputationRep:
    most will have AAAa or AAAb i recon

ReputationRep:
    In the economics department there are very few students with less than AAAA.

ReputationRep:
    How about the other courses? If they say a standard offer is AAB/ABB, do they really mean that it's ok for you to have those grades, or do they still want your predicts to be higher than that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    How about the other courses? If they say a standard offer is AAB/ABB, do they really mean that it's ok for you to have those grades, or do they still want your predicts to be higher than that?
    Many people will have higher predictions than the standard offer, but then again there is more to an application than just the predicted grades. I would say enough people apply to LSE for them to pick people who have predicted grades well over the standard offer, but they don't. A lot of people I've talked to were not getting AAAA, but AAB/ABB etc. It doesn't set you back having standard offer grades.

Econ, as ever, will be the exception to this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I reckon Econ is the holy grail, luckily I have no talent in it and therefor have no desire to study it... I've been looking into applying to Bsc social policy and government + Bsc human resource management and employment relations.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I reckon Econ is the holy grail, luckily I have no talent in it and therefor have no desire to study it... I've been looking into applying to Bsc social policy and government + Bsc human resource management and employment relations.
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    So if i am applying for ECON i must get exactly AAA ?
    or is it okay with AAB too? if so does a good personal statement give optimistic chances for an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramon)
    or is it okay with AAB too? if so does a good personal statement give optimistic chances for an offer?
    No chance with AAB in my honest opinion.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine if you are predicted the standard offer. I applied for social policy and economics and was predicted AAB got an offer and got ABB at A level. I would say that though the standard grade is lower does not mean the competiton is fierce. In my year 111 people applied only 7 (including me ) started the year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramon)
    You've got more chance of pulling Megan Fox than you have of getting into LSE Economics with an AAB. I have predicted AAAB including one already attained A and LSE still turned me down for a course (IR not Eco mind) they are total grade Nazis

ReputationRep:
    for actuarial science its AAA
    one of which in fMaths

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.