Turn on thread page Beta

Police and their cars..... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    How awful! As we all know, police are not like you or I. As such, they are not entitled to hour long lunch breaks like the rest of the working population and should be expected to work their entire shift without food and drink.

Honestly, needing food and drink in order to drive at high speed safely in order to arrest the baddies!

I once saw a policeman in a service station using the bathroom. Needing to go wee-wee whilst on duty! Can you believe it!? He should have just held it for the entire duration of his shift. Disgraceful!

Hope you see my point...
    oh **** offfffffff you're taking it too far, I just find it funny they were all going through mcdonalds thats all.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen coppers in my local force driving the standard Astra Diesel, Peugeot 306, Ford Focus for the regular bobbies, Volvo V70, BMW 5 series estate, Mercedes E-Class estate, BMW X5 and Range Rovers for the traffic officers, and I've also seen a couple of undercover Rover 75's, a Mondeo ST220, a Skoda Octavia and a couple of Volvo S40's.

Quite a range, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    A lot of vehicles sit in a car park or garage most of the time unless they're really needed. At a big local derby match in my home city, I noticed at least a dozen fully equipped state-of-the-art riot vans. They had the name of the local constabulary on them. What do they do with these vehicles when there's nothing serious happening?
    divisional vans for prisoner transport

some will be used by the heavy gang for their pre planned ops such as raids etc

they are deployed dynamically across the force area as needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    oh **** offfffffff you're taking it too far, I just find it funny they were all going through mcdonalds thats all.
    Yeah, I was kind of taking the piss....but the way you said it made me think you might be having a pop at them.

I just get tired of BiB bashing (not saying that's what you were doing) and feel like standing up for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Yeah, I was kind of taking the piss....but the way you said it made me think you might be having a pop at them.

I just get tired of BiB bashing (not saying that's what you were doing) and feel like standing up for them.
    Hey Sync

Just curious... what's BiB bashing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    I think a Focus RS could do a decent job.
    Especially considering the list price is about half that of said BMW, so discounts would make it cheaper. I'm presuming they would get a discount as many forces already use Ford for their cars.

Also, with the aid of helicopters, and a bit of forward planning, you could probably get away with a slightly less powerful car in catching someone.
    Such a stupid thing to say. Having helicopters to catch cars that outrun the inital spotter? Are you serious?

For a start, if the criminal gets out of the cars sight, the helicopter wont know where to look. Second, the heli will take a while to reach most places. Third, it costs a heck of a lot to send out a chopper for even one putsuit -- you propose using it for every pursuit every day of the year, which is a LOT of airtime for any metropolitan area and far more expensive than just buying good cars.

Police bashers need to go to hell IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    even those astras you see will be tuned
    no they aren't the modifications fitted to police vehicles are upreated alternator, possibly a second battery,heavy duty suspension and braking components, in the case of 'prestige' vehicles used by RPU etc the interior is usually basic specification even though the rest of the vehicle is to the higher specifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Hey Sync

Just curious... what's BiB bashing?

Hey Vlad, hope you're well.

Sorry, got the BiB acronym off another forum I post on and forgot people here might not know what it meant. Means "Boys In Blue" bashing. In other words, people ****ging off the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Hey Vlad, hope you're well.

Sorry, got the BiB acronym off another forum I post on and forgot people here might not know what it meant. Means "Boys In Blue" bashing. In other words, people ****ging off the police.
    I'm good, thanks

You?

Ahh, thanks for that! People having a go at the Police do my head in too. I (stupidly) got pulled by the Rozzers in an unmarked car last night at about 2am, on suspicion of drink driving(!?) after cutting a lane on a deserted roundabout. Needless to say, when he breathalised me, it returned a reading of 0µg and he sent me on my way. It was inconvenient, but I understand why he pulled me over.

And their clampdown on drink driving is a necessary cause - on the way home from Tesco tonight, (what I can only assume was a drunk driver) had crashed into the central reservation southbound, gone through the Armco, dug in and rolled into the northbound carriageway, ending up on its wheels facing northbound.

The car was almost unrecognisable it was that badly mangled (It looked like a Peugeot 206, 51 plate). There was severe crush damage to the top of the car, the roof had collapsed, both doors had detached, all the windows were smashed and the entire right wing had been torn off. The car had travelled 60 or 70 metres from the point where it hit the Armco barrier, so you can guess how fast he must have been going. But amazingly he was only walking wounded (hence my assumption about him being drunk).
    It can't have happened any later than 5 minutes before I got there, but the Police were already on the scene, and an ambulance was just arriving when I got there. The fire brigade were racing to the scene as I'd passed the accident and they're based about 4 minutes on blues and twos from the scene.

I think the Police do a great job, responding to this sort of thing and they get my respect for the job they do, despite sometimes being a little... overzealous.

ReputationRep:
    The traffic division needs cars capable of driving fast enough to intercept Jay Kay when he forgets that he's no longer on the Autobahn.

ReputationRep:
    I may be being a bit dim, but I don't see how you can justify most of these vehicles for 'fast pursuit.' I own a 330D, and I certainly wouldn't like to chase my XKR in it, letalone a properly specced out evo.

It seems the 3/5 series and X5's etc are more for utility value, and the fact they can go 'a bit fast' then the actual need to pursue at max speed.

ReputationRep:
    Can't it be like GTA2 where the cop cars look **** but are actually really ******* fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Also, with the aid of helicopters, and a bit of forward planning, you could probably get away with a slightly less powerful car in catching someone.
    Do you know how often a call will say for example "XH Delta Tango 71, vehicle failing to stop, *location and direction*, driver is XXXX, pursuit management trained, authorised vehicle, requesting Oscar 99 to make, over"

and the reply be "Delta Tango 71 XH, Oscar 99 currently unavailible, any other Delta Tango units to make to *location*, vehicle failing to stop. Reply with call signs."?

Seriously, the ASU are a great resource, but can't be everywhere at once, might be grounded due to technical issues, poor weather, or so forth. Never put your eggs in one basket, or in this case, all your hope on the Heli. Heck, several forces don't even have thier own ASU, North Yorkshire being one!

ReputationRep:
    First of all, for all those playing down the Clio... the other day, I managed to get 4 fully grown guys, a full size cricket bag and a bike all legally (i.e. everyone was belted in and vision wasn't sacrificed much..) So, for all you non-believers... :cool:

Apparently the Italian Gallardo is used more for transporting organs (not the musical ones) between hospitals for emergencies more than for traffic policing.

There's no denying police do need some high performance cars, but how many car chases does each force have to deal with and there's no reason a handful of decent cop cars can't stop one single car.

ReputationRep:
    You all seem to be rather missing the point.

The main reason for them is not so much for the fact that they are fast, but because they look fast.

If mr. criminal looks in his rear view mirror and sees an Impreza or BMW or whatever with the lights on, they know they can't get away, so they ditch the car much earlier, removing the need for a long and probably dangerous pursuit. If however they see a pokey little Astra, their ego is going to get the better of them and they're going to give it a bootful, ("no Astra is going to catch me..." ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Can't it be like GTA2 where the cop cars look **** but are actually really ******* fast?
    Over the water they used to opperate a lot of battered old sierras that were actually tuned up cossies underneath - not for normal police work you understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    On a side note, that is the Liberty Stadium in the background (the white roof can be seen) :p:
    SNAP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheV)
    There's no denying police do need some high performance cars, but how many car chases does each force have to deal with and there's no reason a handful of decent cop cars can't stop one single car.
    Yes, a handful could maybe deal with a fail to stop, however, many forces are over stretched, eg, we had 2 roads policing cars, both single crewed, on a hot summers sunday last year, to deal with 900 sq miles. Course, divisional response vehicles where availible, oh wait, their driver are pursuit management trained, meaning no pursuits. So, 2 advanced pursuit management drivers. What happens when 2 bikes both fail to stop at opposite ends of the county? Bearing in mind the next divison is a good 30 miles away meaning around 15 mins at least for one of their uncommitted RPU chaps to attend, and help deal.

Get in the real world, if an Astra, or Focus etc could del effectivley, safely and effeciently with a pursuit, they would!

BTW, most forces have more pursuits than you would think! I've had vehicles make off on several occasions in one day from us while we were patrolling in a divisonal response car. Each time, Traffic to far away, even travelling at max speed, vehicle lost...

ReputationRep:
    in reading there's and RS6 Avant. nothing will walk away from that!

There are a lot of 5 series' around aldershot for the traffic cars, and unmarked octavia vrs', standard is the previous focus and astra's

Plenty of Scoobies and Evos about in Essex too.

ReputationRep:
    I've had several models that the Police have bought and used in the past...

MGB GT's, Rover P6 V8, Volvo 850, Metro...

None have been bad cars, all can take a shed load of abuse and maintainance has been cheap.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.