Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Examboy*)
    You have a chance.

Make sure you are a strong overall candidate.

Good luck mate, which uni's you going to apply to?
    i'm still looking into it...but definately cardiff...i just need to find out the number of applicants and no. of places.

Does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatleboar)
    look here you lol , I can see how some people can see that I am trying to show off or something I am just saying that people with different backgrounds consider different results to be good. I am lucky in the fact I am from a reasonably privilged background so fellow students of mine would see them as quite poor and mine as quite average where as if he was from a lesser established school he could have very very good results etc.
    i understand what you mean, i come from a school like that myself, but blatently flaunting good results like that is always gonna get a bit of a negative response i think... :p:

ANYWAY the point is, GCSEs aren't really so important anyway, i've got a friend who got into Oxbridge with similar results, they judge it more on As levels and predictions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circularmover)
    i still looking into it...but definitely cardiff...i just need to find out the number of applicants and no. of places.

Does anyone know?
    Not specifically for Dentistry but across all subjects it is 7 per place.

Good luck with Cardiff - you have a good shot!

ReputationRep:
    i'm still looking into it...but definitely cardiff...i just need to find out the number of applicants and no. of places.

Does anyone know?
    I live in Cardiff and i'm also going to apply to Cardiff...

They take 68 people and approx 1400 apply.

They give out about 180 offers I think.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Those results are BRILLIANT!!! Maybe I just go to a crappy school... But don't let all the genius people on here get you down. GCSE's don't really count much later anyhow.
    They do for some courses at some universities. This is the dentistry forum, so I'd imagine some universities might have GCSE requirements, which the OP should be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Try researching on university webpages, it isn't hard.

Belfast: Mathematics and either Physics or Double Award Science if not offered to A-level or AS-level.In considering applications GCSE performance in the best nine subjects is scored, with 4 points awarded for an A* and 3 for an A grade. Points are added or subtracted for UKCAT performance and an overall score calculated.

Birmingham:candidates are required to offer Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and English Language or English Literature at grade A. Integrated Science (double certificate) at grade A is acceptable as an alternative to Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

Bristol:Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade A/A* to include English Language, Mathematics and two science subjects

Cardiff:All applicants must satisfy the current GCSE requirement. We expect a reasonable spread of grades which MUST include B grades in the Sciences (including the Double Award) plus a B grade in English Language.

Dundee:Whichever of the named SQA or GCE subjects has not been passed at Higher Grade or Advanced Level must normally have been passed at Standard Grade or GCSE respectively. A pass in Combined or Dual Science at GCSE may be acceptable instead of a single GCSE pass in Physics. A pass at Standard Grade or GCSE Mathematics is also normally required.

Glasgow: English at grade C or above.

King's College London:GCSE requirement: at least grade B at English Language and Maths, if not offered at A/AS-level.

Leeds:The University of Leeds requires a minimum grade ‘C’ level pass in both English and Mathematics at GCSE or equivalent.Applicants for Dentistry should offer a minimum of 6 GCSE’s or equivalent, including English, Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology (or Dual Science).

Liverpool: Doesn't say anything about GCSEs on the wesbite, but at the open days they tell their applicants they want a minimum of 7A*s at GCSE.

Manchester:Five GCSEs at a minimum of Grade A (including either Integrated Double Award Science or Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics are normally required.

Newcastle: ??

Queen Mary (Barts and the London):We would expect applicants to offer a wide range of subjects with at least six at grade A or B. English Language, Mathematics and science subjects are all required at grade B.

Sheffield:GCSE grades achieved: Applicants securing an interview typically have achieved eight A grade GCSEs.
    +rep

ReputationRep:
    +rep
    Btw one word of advice before you apply (to Cardiff anyway).

They do base their offers on GCSE and look at them mainly.

They don't really look at AS at all and mostly look at GCSE's and A-level predictions.

You also need a strong UKCAT and some good work experience.

PM me if you want more advice.

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.