Turn on thread page Beta

Getting ID'd in pubs in the middle of the day watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm curious to see if this has happened to anyone else, my friends and I went to a pub in town this afternoon just for a soft drink and a bit of a catch up, and before we even ordered our drinks, the girl at the bar asked for our ID. All we wanted was a coke, but because one of my friends didn't have her ID with her, we were told we'd have to leave.

So we went to a different pub, I ordered a coke, and then the guy behind the bar asked for my ID, so we couldn't stay there either - they said it's the law that only over 18's could be in there. This was a Wetherspoons, by the way, and some other similar pub restaurant.

It just seems a bit weird, we've been going there for ages and we've never been ID'd for a coke in the middle of the day before, and if we had children with us, they wouldn't ID the children would they? It was all just a bit odd and unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    my cousin got ID'd for an orange juice once and hes 29 :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    It's very unusual for a Whetherspoons pub to turn away under 18s. Once you're 16+ you're allowed to be in pubs legally, and buy non-alcoholic drinks unsupervised, however the pub can turn away under 18s if they wish too - never seen Whetherspoons do this though.

http://www.beerandpub.com/industryAr...x?articleId=80 - That explains the laws on this.

ReputationRep:
    It is stupid. When I was 19 I went through two very different experiences in the same pub, at a time when I didn't have ID.
    One week, I went in and ordered a lemonade. I was asked for ID, didn't have it, and was told to leave.
    The week later, I went to the same pub (still without ID, possibly pushing my luck) and ordered a cocktail pitcher with no problems at all. A few pitchers later, with myself and my friends all suitably drunk, a member of staff came over and asked us for ID. A bit late, of course. Needless to say, all of my friends had theirs and I didn't have any. They let me off in the end, thankfully; but thought I'd be heading home alone that night!

ReputationRep:
    Our local wetherspoons don't mind kids in there but won't allow groups of young people in if one person doesn't have ID. Seems ludicrous but I can see their point, however inconvenient.

ReputationRep:
    Ironic thing is as well, we were there last week in the evening, buying alcohol and we didn't get ID'd. xD

ReputationRep:
    I've rarely been ID'd - I think it's the beard.

ReputationRep:
    Wetherspoons where I live wont let groups of young people in even if they are drinking soft drinks, but will let in kids. Seems really unfair when some people will only just want a coke

ReputationRep:
    I always get ID'd. Infact I was today, with my boss; was very embarassing. I'm going to be 20 soon.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt get ID yesterday for apint of lager but I got ID for a jager bomb by the same person haha

Nothing better than watching ashes through day in an australian bar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    Hello! I'm curious to see if this has happened to anyone else, my friends and I went to a pub in town this afternoon just for a soft drink and a bit of a catch up, and before we even ordered our drinks, the girl at the bar asked for our ID. All we wanted was a coke, but because one of my friends didn't have her ID with her, we were told we'd have to leave.

So we went to a different pub, I ordered a coke, and then the guy behind the bar asked for my ID, so we couldn't stay there either - they said it's the law that only over 18's could be in there. This was a Wetherspoons, by the way, and some other similar pub restaurant.

It just seems a bit weird, we've been going there for ages and we've never been ID'd for a coke in the middle of the day before, and if we had children with us, they wouldn't ID the children would they? It was all just a bit odd and unexpected.
    It happened to me and a few friends before. We went in and ordered milk shakes on a saturday afternoon but got told we couldn't sty in if we were under 18.

One of the girls pointed out that there was kids in there and they said that they were allowed because they were with adults. My friend got quite annoyed saying that technically she was in with about 4 adults... But they just got really angry and told us to leave before they 'called security'. I think they're just trying to crack down on groups of young people coming in to be honest and are finding excuses such as not being in with adults etc. This was a few years ago though. Anyhow, I'm sure there are other pubs you can go in. Little locals are very rarely like that

ReputationRep:
    depends on how busy the pub is i think? quieter places tend to just let whoever in i've always found wetherspoons to be quite strict though! i've only ever not been ID'd twice.... happy times, happy times.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Wetherspoons for lunch yesterday and got ID'd whilst my pint was being poured. My two mates look young so I think I was ID'd for the sake of being ID'd.

Ah well, I enjoyed my Guinness

ReputationRep:
    I went to a pub before an exam to get breakfeast with two friends - this was about 10am. My friend got ID'd and I didn't even though we were stood next to each other at the bar ordering. (I didn't have any ID - lucky)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I thought you were allowed to go in a pub (not drinking alcohol obv) when you're 14, but before 3pm? Well, that's what my dad told me and he used to work in a pub...

ReputationRep:
    That's the policy in all Wetherspoons' around here. It's totally ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I got ID'd in Wetherspoons at about 10am when ordering a breakfast and orange juice. Quite funny really.

ReputationRep:
    Wetherspoons have IDd me in the middle of the day once I think, though normally I have no problem. One ridiculous experience I had was when I was about 15 and went into a Wetherspoons with my mum after school, in my school uniform. We ordered our drinks and food at the bar and went to sit down, but when they brought the food over to us they suddenly asked me how old I was, then said if I was under 18 I wasn't allowed to be in the pub at all even just for food, then asked us to leave. The food was right there and we were starving! Would have thought the school uniform would have been a bit of a giveaway that I was probably under 18 and something they should have questioned before when they'd seen me, lol.
    Apparently they had a rule of no under 18s at all because they were near the courts and they often had trouble in there? Seems a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the law that you have to be 18 to go to a bar [as in, to approach a bar an order a drink]? As far as I knew that was the case regardless of what you're ordering. Kids are allowed in because they won't be going to the bar, but they essentially can't trust people around the 18 mark because they could be buying the drink for whoever else is with them.

Can't blame them, they're only covering their own backs.

ReputationRep:
    Once I went to a bar and the dude behind it tried selling me cocaine. True story. And no, I didn't ask for coke...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.