Turn on thread page Beta

thread for students going into sixth form who want to share plans and statergies for watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi i have just done my GCSE's like most of you anicipating all A* and A grades prehaps one B. Any way i wanted to start this thread for people thinking about oxbridge now. As even though application is a bit away however not too much more than a year it is now where we can start to develop ourselves in the coming term. So i'll start it of what have people been doing this summer and what is the plan for next term?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Jeebus, give yourself a holiday! It's the last long holiday you'll be able to properly enjoy, because between Y12 and Y13 you'll likely have loads of preparation to do for both A2 and your uni interviews, and between Y13 and university you'll want to work so you can afford to eat (and drink) at uni :p: The best thing you can do is take some time out to chillax, and then knuckle down in the next couple of years, buy books that go beyond what's required for A-level in each of the subjects you do, read books about the subject(s) you want to study at uni, undertake activities relevant to your chosen uni subjects, and that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge strategies, now? :shock:

I know that I'm lazy but tbh, I just want to relax for most of this holiday otherwise I'll probably burn out before term even starts :p:

ReputationRep:
    thanks haha! Just interested

ReputationRep:
    Make sure to take easy A levels like Media Studies, Critical Thinking, General Studies and Sociology, so you that your UMS marks marks are as high as possible. Then, apply for a subject that you're not really interested in, but has a high acceptance rate, like Economics and Management, or Earth Sciences.

That's how the rest of us got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rustlessbowl)
    Make sure to take easy A levels like Media Studies, Critical Thinking, General Studies and Sociology, so you that your UMS marks marks are as high as possible. Then, apply for a subject that you're not really interested in, but has a high acceptance rate, like Economics and Management, or Earth Sciences.

This is really good advice:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I plan to start drafting my personal statement as soon as I get my GCSEs. I'm going to make sure that I'm doing the right things by going on internet forums and asking people to tell me exactly how I should get into Oxbridge. I'll spend all my time playing the flute and captaining a football team to show I'm an interesting person.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I plan to start drafting my personal statement as soon as I get my GCSEs. I'm going to make sure that I'm doing the right things by going on internet forums and asking people to tell me exactly how I should get into Oxbridge. I'll spend all my time playing the flute and captaining a football team to show I'm an interesting person.
    Won't you get out of breath really quickly?:hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to tattoo 'Oxford FTW' on my forehead, so they know how dedicated I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tipareth)
    I'm going to tattoo 'Oxford FTW' on my forehead, so they know how dedicated I am
    They'll see right through that.

What you want to do is to have a daughter/son and then name him 'Merton College, Oxford' or whatever. And then apply there and take her/him along for your interview. Make sure to conspicuously mention her/his name in the interview.

if this doesn't show dedication i don't know what will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Won't you get out of breath really quickly?:hmmmm2:
    That reminds me, I'll also spend ages working on perfect grammar because saying anything slightly ambiguous will surely get me rejected. Anyway, I thought you knew that mulittasking ability was a vital part of the admissions process. Are you sure you're really a student there?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Teebs)
    That reminds me, I'll also spend ages working on perfect grammar because saying anything slightly ambiguous will surely get me rejected. Anyway, I thought you knew that mulittasking ability was a vital part of the admissions process. Are you sure you're really a student there?
    :no:
    Sadly I made the bad mistake of throwing a brick at my interviewer and then jumping out of the window after having set fire to his interview notes. He was not amused and threw a rugby ball after me. Damn those "Getting Into Oxbridge"-guides for giving me such bad advice...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rustlessbowl)

ok... i'm really hoping that post was meant to be a joke?

EDIT: ok, after reading the rest of the thread, i'm guessing it was subtle humour. my apologies. lol.

(Original post by hobnob)
    :no:
    Sadly I made the bad mistake of throwing a brick at my interviewer and then jumping out of the window after having set fire to his interview notes. He was not amused and threw a rugby ball after me. Damn those "Getting Into Oxbridge"-guides for giving me such bad advice...
    LMFAO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    Except that Oxbridge want you to take A levels that prepare you for the course and you may not get in with that kind of subject combination.
    Clearly missing the sarcasm...

ReputationRep:
    I only decided to apply a month before the deadline. I'm not saying I'd particularly recommend that, but there is a happy medium. You don't even know what you're going to get in your AS levels yet: I have friends who got all A*s and As at GCSE but got Bs and Cs in their AS levels. Chill!

ReputationRep:
    I don't take chances on TSR - if there's incorrect info I correct it.
    Fair enough. You do seem to do a lot of articles on the wiki.

ReputationRep:
    I don't take chances on TSR - if there's incorrect info I correct it.
    Incidentally, another mistake Oxbridge interviewees should avoid. If your interviewer makes a factual error, or you disagree with them on an important point, always meekly acquiesce. Nobody likes a smarty-pants.

(Original post by morrisajm)
    Hi i have just done my GCSE's like most of you anicipating all A* and A grades prehaps one B. Any way i wanted to start this thread for people thinking about oxbridge now. As even though application is a bit away however not too much more than a year it is now where we can start to develop ourselves in the coming term. So i'll start it of what have people been doing this summer and what is the plan for next term?
    OP, what course do you want to do and at either Oxford or Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    law-oxford

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.