Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I finished my GCSEs 3 years ago.. doing AQA double award Science. Compared to the following A-levels, I had to say they weren't exceptionally difficult!

So I've recently started to tutor a Yr 10 girl GCSE chemistry, and so after a few lessons of teaching what I was taught. I thought it would be a good idea to check out if the syllabus had changed much! (I know this was probably a bit late..) and it was pretty shocking how much had changed in 3 years!

Somehow they've managed to take out all details on the chemistry of bonding (the most basic of the basics), and now all you need to know is the structure of an atom at the most. They seem to have taken out all the details of chemical processes for wishy washy explanations! i could blabber on about this and that.. but in the end it doesn't seem like chemistry any more! More like 'Earth and its resources'!!

After having complained about the transition of GCSE to A-level chemistry was too much.. this is hardly helping..

im thinking.. maybe the adults are right.. and qualifications are getting just too damn easy... Wtf is up with the education...

phew. venting over

ReputationRep:
    Labour have ****** up eduaction by making all our exams too easy.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, I don't know if this has already happened or not, but Science and Maths GCSEs are going to be made considerably harder, similar to O-Levels, very soon, if not already. That's what I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they can screw up A Levels aswell and then easy street.

ReputationRep:
    I did Additional Science GCSE this year and had to know all about the different types of bonding etc. Are you sure she's not doing Core Science initially in Year 10, when indeed there's little detail about bonding

ReputationRep:
    i took seperate science and we cover all of what you mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    i learnt about different types of bonding for my gcse's this year but like "Revolution is my name" said the core science have no detail about bonding..next year she'l probably do it

ReputationRep:
    hmm, i did Double AQA this year, we learnt about Bonding but not in great deal just basically what Ionic and Covalent are.
    It's more about silly stuff now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm self-teaching OCR AS Chemistry right now and it's not difficult. I'm over a fifth through the course in under a week, a few hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    The government is trying to attract more people to study science by taking all the science out and making the courses 'fun' and 'relevant to everyday life' (I really don't like 'how science works', really really don't).

Of course then you get people who study science for all the wrong reasons while those who actually like the subject are put off by the GCSE. :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    The government is trying to attract more people to study science by taking all the science out and making the courses 'fun' and 'relevant to everyday life' (I really don't like 'how science works', really really don't).

Of course then you get people who study science for all the wrong reasons while those who actually like the subject are put off by the GCSE. :mad2:
    As long as the A levels don't get easier I can stand it.

ReputationRep:
    thats probably because shes in year 10 and you dont learn the other stuff til year 11?

not that i know anything about science though.. i didnt even go to most of my science lessons. hated the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    My RE teacher told me that the new RE A level (to be introduced next year) didn't require and knowledge of RE :mad:

ReputationRep:
    My RE teacher told me that the new RE A level (to be introduced next year) didn't require and knowledge of RE :mad:
    It must piss off people who have already done A levels, and people are getting it easier.

ReputationRep:
    It must piss off people who have already done A levels, and people are getting it easier.
    It annoys me that the people who take history next year will have 1/3 less material to cover and the GCSE will be modulated. :mad:
    (it's not fair )

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me that the people who take history next year will have 1/3 less material to cover and the GCSE will be modulated. :mad:
    (it's not fair )
    GCSEs should be harder. This modular system annoys me; I got straight A*s in the exams, and then someone who got As and Bs resits and gets the same as me! And what do I have to show for getting my grades first time, six months early? Nothing... :confused:

Most people either don't try at GCSEs, or find them piss easy.

(Original post by jjellybaby)
    Okay, so I finished my GCSEs 3 years ago.. doing AQA double award Science. Compared to the following A-levels, I had to say they weren't exceptionally difficult!

So I've recently started to tutor a Yr 10 girl GCSE chemistry, and so after a few lessons of teaching what I was taught. I thought it would be a good idea to check out if the syllabus had changed much! (I know this was probably a bit late..) and it was pretty shocking how much had changed in 3 years!

Somehow they've managed to take out all details on the chemistry of bonding (the most basic of the basics), and now all you need to know is the structure of an atom at the most. They seem to have taken out all the details of chemical processes for wishy washy explanations! i could blabber on about this and that.. but in the end it doesn't seem like chemistry any more! More like 'Earth and its resources'!!

After having complained about the transition of GCSE to A-level chemistry was too much.. this is hardly helping..

im thinking.. maybe the adults are right.. and qualifications are getting just too damn easy... Wtf is up with the education...

phew. venting over
    I quite agree! Esp. on that point.

I mean, I just looked at some GCSE Science specifications, and basically, imo, you just need a good memory.

This isn't "science".

Tbh, GCSEs really *are* dumbing down. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCS)
    i took seperate science and we cover all of what you mentioned.
    Same. But I'd also like to mention that even on seperate science, I got 100% in one exam, 99% in another, because i forgot the word cryolite. I am fairly smart, but i wasn't the only one getting these kind of grades! Though this was in the first exams, which are easier to prepare for because you hardly have any at once.

It just seems to me like for a lot of it, you just need to memorise your revision guide?

They are. Lots. Even my Chemistry teacher told me as much. Not exact words, but exactly what he said was: "Chemistry A level is getting easier every year, and this year it's really easy, so just think how easy it will be for you next year" Then went on to say "oh, IB? No, THAT'S solid." Oh yay me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.