Turn on thread page Beta

£1000 to spend on a new wardrobe watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a 24 year old man and I've been given £1000 by a relative (long story!). I want to spend some of it on buying new clothes as my wardrobe is really old and boring.

Any ideas on what clothes to buy?

ReputationRep:
    You can get jeans for £1000 , you can get jeans for £5. How much clothes are you looking to buy ?.

ReputationRep:
    You might have better luck posting in the fashion section :p:

ReputationRep:
    A very vague question.
    I take it as you feel you've got 'old and boring' clothes, you're looking for some modern fashionable up to date ones?
    If you want the decent elegant stuff then places like Debenhams, John Lewis etc. do some great quality clothes. If you want the more 'hip and cool' kind of clothes there's topman, river island, burtons etc.
    Asos is awesome, you'll find clothes of all ranges there...the really good bargains and the expensive designer ones too, great variety.

ReputationRep:
    get one from ikea.. pretty cheap from there apparently

ReputationRep:
    Get some cool T-shirts from Diesel or whatever and Diesel jeans, get some cool jackets aswell, and get some Calvin Klien boxers, and get some cool modern shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, for a second there I thought you were going to flog off £1000 on an actual wardrobe :spank:

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself to All Saints mind you might end up paying more than a grand there but there stuff especially for men is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.republic.co.uk/T-Shirts/S...irt/invt/75781

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...1249&langId=-1

http://www.asos.com/Converse/Convers...rt=-1&clr=Grey

http://www.asos.com/Firetrap/Firetra...rt=-1&clr=Grey

ReputationRep:
    http://www.hawesandcurtis.com

Or even better go into Jermyn street yourself and get some swish shirts.

ReputationRep:
    I will give you a list of what I would get with that kind of money:

Lyle And Scott

Red Cardigan £90
    White Polo £40
    Navy Polo £40

All Saints

Grey Cardigan £70

Fred Perry

Black Polo £40
    Black Jumper £70
    Black Zip up or harrington jacket £80

Levi

Dark Blue Jeans £60

Ralph Lauren

Red Polo £60
    Blue Polo £60
    Black Hoody £85

There we go thats your money spent, also remeber that you can alot of this stuff cheaper if u hunt around in sales, ebay and ioffer

Cheers Nick

ReputationRep:
    Just because you have money to spend it doesnt mean you have to go out and buy designer clothes. For alot of things they simply are just making you pay for a label. Hunt around and try everything on!

Heck, maybe even take a woman with you. One your age who dresses her self well, girls seem to love dressing guys especially when you tell them you have alot of money to spend!

ReputationRep:
    depends what sort of look you want as well.
    some of my friends spend loads of dosh on lyle ans scott and fred perry stuff but i really dont like that look and for me i could get a lot more and nicer clothes for less.

raulph lauren looks good on everyone and abercrombie if you want some nice expensive t-shirts or jumpers.

i say get a lot of nice clothes from the high street that and then spend the rest on nice designer t-shirts and maybe a real nice jacket

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste your money!

By all means buy a few designer items (some sunglasses, or something smart), but there really is no need to buy things like designer polo shirts; things like that, you really are paying for the label.

Go to your nearest shopping centre or large high street and browse, try things on, even things you don't like, you might find you like it when it's on you.

Go with things that you like, and you feel comfortable in. Take a friend to consult with if you're unsure of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Umm abercrombie is over worn rubbish, with desiegner clothes you are not just paying for the label, the fred perry polo is unique and universally recognized and is also worn by most celebs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeltz)
    I will give you a list of what I would get with that kind of money:

Lyle And Scott

Red Cardigan £90
    White Polo £40
    Navy Polo £40

All Saints

Grey Cardigan £70

Fred Perry

Black Polo £40
    Black Jumper £70
    Black Zip up or harrington jacket £80

Levi

Dark Blue Jeans £60

Ralph Lauren

Red Polo £60
    Blue Polo £60
    Black Hoody £85

There we go thats your money spent, also remeber that you can alot of this stuff cheaper if u hunt around in sales, ebay and ioffer

Cheers Nick
    Or, just go to Matalan and get the same thing for 10% of the price :p:

ReputationRep:
    Lyle and Scott :love:

ReputationRep:
    I would advise against buying anything too fashionable. You might be better spending money on a few really, really good items that are of a better quality, will go with lots of other things, and will last longer. There's only so much variation you want in, say, jeans, and it's nice to have a pair that you like to wear and which fit you really well. If they're well made and flatter you, then you can use them to make other cheaper items look better. And it you have 3 pairs of jeans that you are really comfy wearing, then you have no need for 10 other pairs, because you won't feel a desire to wear any beyond the really comfy 3 pairs.

What kind of things you choose depends on what you feel comfy in. I agree that you should take someone with you, and get their opinions, but there's no point in giving yourself a radical makeover if you're not going to wear any of it. Look at what you have already, assess why you like it, then try to find new items that incorporate the features you like, while making sure you choose nice, flattering, stylish things that are practical and comfortable enough for you to adjust to wearing them

ReputationRep:
    Get some good shoes (£100-200 or so)
    Get a quality jacket (£200-£400 or so)
    Some good jeans (£100)

Then you can shop around for other stuff at a good price. Having a good jacket and shoes will make everything else look good, you can get t shirts, vests, shirts, underwear for pretty cheap.

I have a rule where if I'm going to spend a fair bit on something I want it to be something which will last at least 10 years and which I'll wear for at least 10 years, eg £300 jacket = £30 a year. Girls who live in primark will easily spend £300 in about 3 years on jackets.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.