The Student Room Group

Summit Invitation #1 - The Trial-Run

The Secretariat of the United Nations would like to invite all delegates to a high-level International Summit, to be held in the New York offices of the United Nations. We invite all member states and UN Organizations and Observers to send a delegation. There will be tea and biscuits.

The Topic of the Summit will be Piracy with special attention to Somalia and the Strait of Malacca.

We hope that all delegates will be willing and able to attend. The debate will start within the week. I ask all delegates to research their nations work on Piracy in the past and come up with some ideas for a new Treaty on Piracy or similar. We hope for a large turn-out and a good debate.

Thank you for your attention.
The Office of the Secretary General Mrgd291190

Scroll to see replies

France would be honoured to attend this inaugural MUN Summit. Although we're not great tea drinkers so would it be OK if we brought some coffee? :tongue:
Reply 2
Only if you bring enough for the rest of Europe as well :p:
As long as they're not expecting freshly ground - we're a bit strapped for cash and can only afford instant :o:
The US will certainly attend to discuss what is certainly an extremely important issue for all countries around the world when we consider that 11% of the world's seaborne petroleum passes by Somalia through the Gulf of Aden and around 20,000 ships take this route every year. The US hopes we can come to some agreement in the coming days/weeks and that we take a more pro-active approach to tackling this problem.
Nigeria is up for attending this meeting. Although can we make a request for milk chocolate digestives and lift tea.. :biggrin:
We will be sending a delegation, and would be honoured if Malta could do the catering.
Reply 7
Brazil is delighted to accept the invitation and we hope that the international community can reach a long-term solution to resolve the situation.

The World Bank is keen to attend such an important meeting and to push forward with our development on this issue.
Reply 8
China will be attending the summit and requests green tea.

The DPRK would like to attend and requests that a drugs liberal country like Holland do the catering...
Reply 9
Right, France'll bring the instant coffee, can Venezuela ring around Latin America and see if any neighbours have ground?

Thanks Malta, can you get hold of a) milk chocolate digestives
b) lift tea (is that lemon)
c) some green tea

and can someone give Holland a ring when they get back and order some...supplies?

Anyone allergic to anything, the Secretariat will bring some sandwiches if everyone wants some?
Oh yeah it is lemon tea.
But Nigeria does not trust Malta to get the right digestives or lift tea for our delegates..so we will send someone to assist with your shopping
Mrgd291190
Right, France'll bring the instant coffee, can Venezuela ring around Latin America and see if any neighbours have ground?

and can someone give Holland a ring when they get back and order some...supplies?

Shame we don't have a Colombian rep - it could set us up with both (but probably won't).
Liberia will attend the summit. However, we are having some trouble understanding why we are having tea, coffee, biscuits and finger sandwiches when we are at the UN? [OOC Joke of the day: is anyone aware of how much these people make?? I had a professor who works at the UN and the stuff he told us about a) his wage and b) the lavish meetings, one would think that UN personnel would not be happy with tea and biscuits :wink: /OOC]
Here's the catering for now:

(20 packets)

(2 boxes)

Also - France, I have pulled in some favours and got us 25 kgs of proper freshly ground Coffee.

Also - for the celebrations at the end of the summit:

I got 10 orders of Champagne and Truffles:

I am looking for taking the catering on permanently.

All this is going on my MP's expenses, or is it Chris Moles?
Reply 14
The representative of Liberia makes a fair point ([OOC]They probably make a ton, so many ambassadors and the like do, but I have no idea how high it actually is...[/OOC]) and the Secretariat encourages all nations to bring a sample of their finest cuisine, or send recipes to their Maltese embassy.
Malta adds weight to what the Secretary General says, and suggests that you guys trust me, as I even got Lift Lemon tea.
([OOC] Well, I know he was making over $250 000 tax free American dollars. He had an apartment in NY that I believe was also paid for... or he was paid more when he had to live there. They are also paid 40% more when they are in Geneva as an 'adjustment to the cost of living'. If they work on the field (and not just in the office), they are also paid more (again, I believe the number might be 40%).

Those who work for the EU are paid even more. It's ridiculous. [/OOC]
Oh, the representative of Liberia will also bring Bushmeat to the summit. A West African delicacy!
Reply 18
rinascimento
([OOC] Well, I know he was making over $250 000 tax free American dollars. He had an apartment in NY that I believe was also paid for... or he was paid more when he had to live there. They are also paid 40% more when they are in Geneva as an 'adjustment to the cost of living'. If they work on the field (and not just in the office), they are also paid more (again, I believe the number might be 40%).

Those who work for the EU are paid even more. It's ridiculous. [/OOC]

[OOC]That is insane! I mean, they're highly-qualified people doing incredibly important work but even taking that into account, that's incredibly high. That "adjustment to the cost of living" sounds strange, Switzerland isn't so much higher priced than NY, surely? I suppose it covers air fares but when there are so many people in the world starving...
I always imagined EU staff would earn less than UN? Damn, how much must they get?[/OOC]
[OOC] I believe the number he mentioned for the EU is 300 000 tax free Euros. That's for high-level staff though.

The adjustment is quite strange, but he seemed to hint that a lot people are just plain greedy. The next time you hear about a meeting in Geneva, just think about their pay increase and ask yourself if it was really necessary to have it in Geneva :wink: .

You can tell he likes the money, but on the other hand I think he finds it ridiculous. Especially because there are a lot of people that will take advantage of the system. Like the EU the people making 250 k + are at the higher end of the pay scale, but still. When I was looking at jobs I think the lowest wage I saw was 80 k maybe? [/OOC]

Latest

Trending

Trending