Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I never really understood how heavily religious people (those who take holy scriptures as truth/fact) don't look at themselves and think lolwut?

Do they not realise how obsurd, when you think rationally; how having imaginary friends who are watching is?

Obviously speaking as an atheist I generally call shenanigans on religions, but how do these religious people not question all the myth, magic and imaginary friends?

ReputationRep:
    Religious faith = :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Well they use it to give them false hope that there's something worthwhile at the end of these meagre years we call life. Kinda like the tooth fairy.

ReputationRep:
    Well, many of them are told that it's true over and over from the time they are born. Sad .

ReputationRep:
    Do you not think that maybe some people take comfort in that fact? That having something to believe in, no matter how ridiculous you think it is, helps them sleep at night, helps them find reasons, and helps then find answers when things don't make sense? So what?

ReputationRep:
    racist? yes because that would make sense.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sex Cauldron)
    how do these religious people not question all the myth, magic and imaginary friends?
    "Heavily religious" people who believe scriptures to be true don't necessarily believe them to be literally true. Many religious people would agree that there is a fair amount of myth in their own religious texts, but that it is allegorical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Acky)
    racist? yes because that would make sense.
    Yeah sorry about that. It's just the fashion these days to use the race card on things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkspiders)
    Do you not think that maybe some people take comfort in that fact? That having something to believe in, no matter how ridiculous you think it is, helps them sleep at night, helps them find reasons, and helps then find answers when things don't make sense? So what?
    It does not make sense to invoke God when things do not make sense. I fail to see how the worry that people get from things that don't make sense can disappear when they use the most nonsensical concept to calm themselves .

Not being able to get through life without clinging onto the existence of something very ludicrous indeed is not a respectable position, and it should be challenged, if not for the benefit of the people themselves, then for the benefit of society.

Also comforting as it may be, that does not make it true, and it doesn't make it any less, erm 'lolwut'.

ReputationRep:
    You're obsurd.

ReputationRep:
    They have been brainwashed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    "Heavily religious" people who believe scriptures to be true don't necessarily believe them to be literally true. Many religious people would agree that there is a fair amount of myth in their own religious texts, but that it is allegorical.
    Regardless of this, they still hold some fundamental doctrines about the existence and nature of a master creator. They believe this quite literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    It does not make sense to invoke God when things do not make sense. I fail to see how the worry that people get from things that don't make sense can disappear when they use the most nonsensical concept to calm themselves .

Not being able to get through life without clinging onto the existence of something very ludicrous indeed is not a respectable position, and it should be challenged, if not for the benefit of the people themselves, then for the benefit of society.

Also comforting as it may be, that does not make it true, and it doesn't make it any less, erm 'lolwut'.
    So Mother Theresa should have been challenged then?
    So what if it doesn't make sense? Not much in life does... I mean there is so much that we cannot explain. So why can't we seek answers in a higher existance. Are humans that dense that they are unable to comprehend an existance above and beyond themselves.

ReputationRep:
    being religious is not absurd. im religious as i have faith that a god exsists, i do not follow my faith to help me sleep at night. thats a silly thing to say, thats thw whole point of free will its up to you if you believe in god or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkspiders)
    So Mother Theresa should have been challenged then?
    So what if it doesn't make sense? Not much in life does... I mean there is so much that we cannot explain. So why can't we seek answers in a higher existance. Are humans that dense that they are unable to comprehend an existance above and beyond themselves.
    Because those aren't 'answers'.

You can't just make something up to fill your blanks. Where does that get you? Absolutely nowhere. If you come across a question, and answer it with God, you haven't actually uncovered the real answer to your question. You've just made a random answer up, and started pretending that you know the truth.

There is a certain amount of honour in holding your head up high and saying 'I don't know'. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something. There's nothing wrong with not having answers. There's nothing wrong with having unanswered questions. But there is PLENTY wrong with fabricating answers, and pretending that they are true.

Humans aren't dense. I can imagine something greater than a human. Indeed, it's probably that there are civilisations out there much greater advanced, morally, than humans. But that does not make them Gods. The notion of a creator-God truly is a notion for the dense, and if you're not savvy enough to see that the whole notion asserted by the major religions is completely unlogical, then that does not make you 'more imaginative', it simply makes you more gullible and ignorant of how reality works.

Also, Mother Teresa challenged herself. Later in life, she found it harder and harder to believe in God.

And in fact, I have much evidence to suggest that, even when she was 'religious', she was a scam-artist.

Read Christopher Hitchens' book, 'The Missionary Position', which is something of a biography of Mother Teresa's life, dealings, and conspiracies. She is not the idolatory saint that she is held to be in popular culture.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it should be considered so absurd.

The creation of the universe either had some intelligence behind it, or it didn't. Theists just happen to be the ones who believe that it did have intelligence behind it, rather than the universe just jumping into existence by itself.

(Please don't ask me "who created God", I'm sure you know that God is believed to be existent but uncreated by theists. The argument isn't ging to convice anyone).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Regardless of this, they still hold some fundamental doctrines about the existence and nature of a master creator. They believe this quite literally.
    Yes, but such a belief stands apart from those regarding the universe as we experience it. I can quite easily understand why certain beliefs about creation (for example) are seen as "lolwut", as they fly in the face of scientific truths that we have come to understand about the world - however, the question of God's existence is untouchable by empirical methods, and as such I don't see how belief in God can be described as either sane or stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but such a belief stands apart from those regarding the universe as we experience it. I can quite easily understand why certain beliefs about creation (for example) are seen as "lolwut", as they fly in the face of scientific truths that we have come to understand about the world - however, the question of God's existence is untouchable by empirical methods, and as such I don't see how belief in God can be described as either sane or stupid.
    Yes. The notion of God IS untouchable by empirical methods (currently). But does that mean we should take it to be true? No. That would be ridiculous, stupid, assumptous and dense.

Something does not automatically become true as soon as Science is found to be practically unable to falsify it.

Anyway, there isn't a single religion out there that doesn't make claims about God's interaction with this universe. There isn't a single religion out there that doesn't have some doctrine about creation (as you said), prayer, miracles, souls, blessings, divine intervention, etc. All of these things apparently happen here, on earth, within easy reach of scientific measure.

Science may have no way to falsify the existence of a God who remains outside the universe, and never bothers us. But it certainly can falsify the type of God that Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc, boast about. Once you have taken science into consideration, you are left with a God who is unable to communicate with us, and who we are unable to communicate to. So even if he did exist, what good would it do to worship him, or even acknowledge him?

ReputationRep:
    The actual belief that there is a God, isn't so bad. I'm more agnostic, I don't have the answer but I'm not going to make them up and shout at people to accept them. My problem is with organised religions / cults and there myths and superstition. That's the obsurd part. Zombie jesus etc

ReputationRep:
    Generally, because they are happy and getting on with their lives.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.