Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I currently have a savings account with money saved for University where the yearly interest gets paid mid-September. I don't want to withdraw money from the account over the summer as it would reduce the interest.

I have an unconditional offer for Uni starting in September (Took a gap year) - Student Finance still not confirmed (It's taken so long this year...). I have enough in my current account to budget till end of August - Beginning of September. This is where I hit the snag..

I don't want to withdraw any money from the savings account due to loosing the interest. If I opened a student account say Mid-August, due to having an unconditional offer would I be able to use the Natwest Interest Free overdraft for the first 2 weeks before the beginning of my course to purchase items for University? Then once the interest on my savings is paid I can withdraw and pay the overdraft off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna say try Barclays tbh. Opened my account with them today (took my offer letter and passport in) and you get your overdraft right away. That and I don't trust Natwest

ReputationRep:
    I want to know this too for different reasons: I have no savings and I need it to get stuff before I go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something)
    Hi,

I currently have a savings account with money saved for University where the yearly interest gets paid mid-September. I don't want to withdraw money from the account over the summer as it would reduce the interest.

I have an unconditional offer for Uni starting in September (Took a gap year) - Student Finance still not confirmed (It's taken so long this year...). I have enough in my current account to budget till end of August - Beginning of September. This is where I hit the snag..

I don't want to withdraw any money from the savings account due to loosing the interest. If I opened a student account say Mid-August, due to having an unconditional offer would I be able to use the Natwest Interest Free overdraft for the first 2 weeks before the beginning of my course to purchase items for University? Then once the interest on my savings is paid I can withdraw and pay the overdraft off.

You will be able to set up and use the benefits of the account with proof of your offer even if its conditional with a letter frm UCAS or University.
    I set up an account 2 weeks ago... and im still waiting on my welcome pack through the post
    Natwest are really slow!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's if you have an unconditional offer, NatWest WILL give you part of the overdraft early (if you get the account) I know for a FACT, cos I did it today, that Barclays will give you £200 of your overdraft on a conditional offer (and they have more discretion as to whether to give you the account, cos mine was management pushed, not credit check pushed)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.