Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of going to Cyprus middle/end of october, just wondering if anyone has been at this time and how hot it actually is? Any other suggestions of places to go that would still be hot at this time would be great xx

ReputationRep:
    I served my obligatory military service in Cyprus and I must say, I might hated the army part but I love Cyprus.

Although I visited most of it. I must say Lemessos, the place I stayed most of my time there, is the most beautiful city of Cyprus. The other two major cities are Nicossia (the capital, urban, busy city landscape. Noisy and... unclean) and Larnaka (the airport's city, but once more incredibly busy and the beach is a no-no).

Lemessos is like California beach (no kiddin' :P) with a boulevard that spreads all over the coast, palm trees, nightclubs (they call them discoteques there), food joints and cafeterias on one side and the beach on the other. It's also noticeable how clean it is and how you can jump into the water almost at any point there is urban access.

It also has majestic hotels, with 4 Seasons being the diamond of them all. There are of course open pools in many of those, with really good service, good prices (if you're not a beach person) and excellent drinks.

If you're a party animal you shouldn't miss a chance to visit for at least a couple of days Ayia Napa. It is the younger sister of Ibiza. Full of tourists, events, nightclub happenings and drinking.

I suggest going there, experiencing it, but not living there during the holidays. Lemessos is so much better, pretier and with a more "elegant" air if I may say so.

On the downside is the expensive food and the lack of adequate public transport. The buses are really sparce. The majority uses personal vehicles or cabs there. With the cabs being ridiculously expensive, the flag for just entering one is somewhere near 4 Euro.

As for the people. You might not be overtaken by the charm of the young male Cypriots (or lack thereof) but they are really friendly and nice. I must say that the women, as far as I experienced, are truly hospitable and even more friendly. I met a family and the mother treated me as if I was one of her own.

Also. You say you want heat but consider Cyprus to be extremely hot and humid, it is afterall right across Africa. There are days where the temperature rises over 43 degrees and the dry atmosphere makes the outdoors almost unbearable. Unless of course you're in a beach or pool somewhere. Then the only unbearable thing will be the tock-tock sound of the beach rackets :P

My other suggestion about the mediterranean would be Greece. I can gladly give you all the information you want if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks very much! have been to cyprus once before when i was a lot younger in june i think it was and it was very hot, was just worried what the weather would be like at the end of october. thanks for all the info xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoSp)
    Our family owns a great flat in Lemessos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Our family owns a great flat in Lemessos

So I take it you agree with everything I said so far... :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.