Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    why are there little weights on the rims of my alloys? what purpose do they serve?

you can see them here on the bottom of the alloys...

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    They are to balance the wheels, to prevent you getting vibrations from the wheels and tyres not being perfectly made.

Without them, you would have juddery steering, and feel vibrations through the car from the wheels not being balanced.

You can get them attached to the rear of the rims on most cars... mine are all balanced on the rear face of the rim so they are not visible.

ReputationRep:
    As above.

You'd really know about it at high speed if they wern't there.

ReputationRep:
    As said before to balance out the tyre and rim imperfections, iirc alot of race teams cut off tyre instead of using weights.

ReputationRep:
    ah, that explains why i get such a nice drive from this 'beast'. ace!

it's my first time you see, with alloys :love: :P

ReputationRep:
    You get them on steel wheels too. (Almost) all cars have them - it isn't what is giving you a 'nice' drive, unless every other car you have ever driven was missing them...

ReputationRep:
    well, this is a lot smoother to drive than anything else i've owned. meh, i think i'm still on the high of getting a new car. :P

i've had an alto... i doubt that had them, they skimped on everything else
    a ka... ooo no, that had alloys, but it was light and stupid...
    and a 206... steelies!

they just stand out more on these alloys... though i never noticed them until someone pointed them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

i've had an alto... i doubt that had them
    Believe me, it would have done

Enjoy the new car high, I'm getting happy about the thought of being able to drive mine again after I finish building it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    well, this is a lot smoother to drive than anything else i've owned. meh, i think i'm still on the high of getting a new car. :P

i've had an alto... i doubt that had them, they skimped on everything else
    a ka... ooo no, that had alloys, but it was light and stupid...
    and a 206... steelies!

they just stand out more on these alloys... though i never noticed them until someone pointed them out.
    Get them to put it on the inside next time with the adhesive ones, make them look much cleaner

ReputationRep:
    some have to be on the ouside...so its balanced :rolleyes:

thats why the wheel balancing machines have 2 number screens to show how much goes on the inside and outside of the wheel

...i thought anyways...

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    some have to be on the ouside...so its balanced :rolleyes:

thats why the wheel balancing machines have 2 number screens to show how much goes on the inside and outside of the wheel

...i thought anyways...

x

Nope. They can be put on the inside or outside of the wheel, most people with expensive wheels and high end cars will never have the tap on ones on their cars

ReputationRep:
    Kwik fit ****** up my perfectly balanced wheels, went back 5 times and they still didn't get them right!

Asked them do you balance centreless wheels? "What's that mate?"

Figures.

ATS did me a balance and tracking

Spot on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Nope. They can be put on the inside or outside of the wheel, most people with expensive wheels and high end cars will never have the tap on ones on their cars
    What kind of Preformance Cars with Expensive Wheels?

Our AC schnitzer wheels on the 540i where expensive wheels :mad:

They have weights all over them!

and the Paint has all come off them after 6 months!

Not happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    What kind of Preformance Cars with Expensive Wheels?

Our AC schnitzer wheels on the 540i where expensive wheels :mad:

They have weights all over them!

and the Paint has all come off them after 6 months!

Not happy!

I've got a regular trans am mate, nothing big about it but I would kill a ***** if they put those tap on weights on there. When you go in ask them to use the adhesive weights and not the lip weights.

I would be pissed too if that happened and I AC wheels too.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a regular trans am mate, nothing big about it but I would kill a ***** if they put those tap on weights on there. When you go in ask them to use the adhesive weights and not the lip weights.

I would be pissed too if that happened and I AC wheels too.
    Howdy. You got the Ram Air?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Howdy. You got the Ram Air?
    Firehawk one teir higher than the ws6 "ram air"

ReputationRep:
    Firehawk one teir higher than the ws6 "ram air"
    You don't need to quote Ram Air, I know what the **** a WS6 and Firehawk is. I used to see them all the time in my mirrors.

One tier higher'en sh** is still sh**.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    You don't need to quote Ram Air, I know what the **** a WS6 and Firehawk is. I used to see them all the time in my mirrors.

One tier higher'en sh** is still sh**.
    I'm not saying it's fast, in fact it's much slower than most of the cars and vehicles I'm used to

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's fast, in fact it's much slower than most of the cars and vehicles I'm used to
    Rippetoe: "Oh what are you used to?"
    Texan88: "Well I drive 9 sec Chevelle to school but that's my little sister's. My car runs on alcohol so I can't really drive it to school."

Sad old ********.

ReputationRep:
    LOL not really I'm not a fan of muscle cars. And no I've never had a 9second car, last firebird ran a 10.2 setup for auto cross and road track. But I sold that one a couple years ago because gas was killing me.

I have nothing to prove to anyone, and after seeing your posts you're just a troll that likes attention

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.