ReputationRep:
    Just curious (due to some person on the Football forum):

- Is there a rule against creating duplicate accounts [usually for the purposes of winding other members up]?

- What sort of usual procedure is given to this, if it is against the rules?

ReputationRep:
    Not allowed for the purpose of winding up other members, and you'll (or whoever will) get banned - either for a period of time like 7 / 14 days, or indefinitely, at the discretion of the moderators.

ReputationRep:
    You are perfectly entitled to start secondary accounts, as long as you aren't attempting to break the rules and therefore circumvent moderation (so you may have answered your own question there Stu if you strongly suspect someone is doing it for that reason). I have three or four, for instance.

As for procedure, clarify . . . though if you're talking as to how to handle possible dupes on bans etc, when you report, flag it for globals to run an IP check (at least, that's always how I used to know it).

if you are temporarily banned and then create a duplicate account and it becomes apparent you are using a dupe your duplicate account will be banned and will get an extension to your temporary ban from 1 week to 2 weeks and so on etc.

creating accounts for the purposes of trolling, you can report the posts and alert the moderation team to this. it can then be looked into and if it is found that a duplicate account is being misused action could be taken. as hubert poo says, the globals will be able to look it up. if you want someone investigated you can always post in AAM and hopefully someone will be able to offer some assistance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys :yy: Just cleared that up - the guy's been banned now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    And sorry to carry on about this, but thanks for answering my other questions, dont you run ip checks when people sign up to check for duplicate accounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_leeds)
    And sorry to carry on about this, but thanks for answering my other questions, dont you run ip checks when people sign up to check for duplicate accounts.
    Oh **** wrong account
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No they don't. Way too complicated to do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** wrong account
    In your dreams, Adam :p: Stu's FAR too lovely to be a duplicate of someone as troublesome as yourself

dont you run ip checks when people sign up to check for duplicate accounts.
    No, and there are a few reasons for it. Firstly, it's too time-intensive. On average I think there are a few hundred accounts created every day. Those who registered yesterday alone, for instance, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=322441 was registered at 0:04 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=322666 at 23:55...226 new members in one day, and I have a feeling that's actually at the lower end of what we typically get. The vast majority of these are honest newbies who are going to be well-behaved. There might be a few newbies who only sign up to troll or duplicate accounts created for one reason or another, but I should stress that these are in the minority, and the bothersome ones don't usually last too long before they are either spotted by a mod or get reported by users.
    Secondly, there's nothing against the rules with just having a duplicate account. Hell, I've got four. The issue with them comes when they are used for naughtiness.

(Original post by Stu Laverty)
    - What sort of usual procedure is given to this, if it is against the rules?
    Hard to say because it's extremely context-sensitive. Could be 5 points, could be 15. Depends on things such as how bad the duplicate's behaviour has been, whether the user has a history of misbehaving with duplicate accounts, things like that. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that the duplicate will be permanently banned. Also, if the user is currently temporarily banned then they will get an extension to their ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    In your dreams, Adam :p: Stu's FAR too lovely to be a duplicate of someone as troublesome as yourself

No, and there are a few reasons for it. Firstly, it's too time-intensive. On average I think there are a few hundred accounts created every day. Those who registered yesterday alone, for instance, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=322441 was registered at 0:04 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=322666 at 23:55...226 new members in one day, and I have a feeling that's actually at the lower end of what we typically get. The vast majority of these are honest newbies who are going to be well-behaved. There might be a few newbies who only sign up to troll or duplicate accounts created for one reason or another, but I should stress that these are in the minority, and the bothersome ones don't usually last too long before they are either spotted by a mod or get reported by users.
    Secondly, there's nothing against the rules with just having a duplicate account. Hell, I've got four. The issue with them comes when they are used for naughtiness.

Hard to say because it's extremely context-sensitive. Could be 5 points, could be 15. Depends on things such as how bad the duplicate's behaviour has been, whether the user has a history of misbehaving with duplicate accounts, things like that. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that the duplicate will be permanently banned. Also, if the user is currently temporarily banned then they will get an extension to their ban.
    I got 7 warning points :grin:

My dupe account got banned though :sad: It was great for trolling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.