Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For five long years I have had the same bank account with the same pin code for the card.

Yesterday before hopping onto the bus for Wigan I speculated that I might need a tenner just in case I get hungry whilst I am there. I had no money so I made my way to the "hole in the wall".

I got to the machine and before I had the chance to put my card in the slot, all memory of my pin number had gone. Where to?

I just, for the life of me, couldn't remember what the four digits were. I can't even remember what the number started with. Was it an 0 or a 9 or a 7? What did it end with?

This has baffled me, because for five years I've always remembered my pin number. I've never needed to write it down or anything.

Just yesterday it seems that my memory had been erased of this number. The week before I had remembered the damn thing but I have only a jumbled memory of numbers from 0-9.

:confused:

Has this ever happened to you?

ReputationRep:
    MSB will know, wonder where that cool cat is?

(He usually comes )

ReputationRep:
    yeah.. but different scenario. I was trying to remember my house telephone number and couln't figure out what are the last four numbers. But the following morning, I remembered it again. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Something along those lines occasionally happens, but I invariably overcome it by thinking about every situation where I ever thought of the thing, and then everything I was thinking of at the time usually floods back, including the forgotten detail

ReputationRep:
    you have never existed, who are you? your not on any of the family photos.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do this with numbers but sometimes I'll be talking to someone I've known for years and suddenly be unable to remember their name.

(Original post by Martyn*)
    For five long years I have had the same bank account with the same pin code for the card.

Yesterday before hopping onto the bus for Wigan I speculated that I might need a tenner just in case I get hungry whilst I am there. I had no money so I made my way to the "hole in the wall".

I got to the machine and before I had the chance to put my card in the slot, all memory of my pin number had gone. Where to?

I just, for the life of me, couldn't remember what the four digits were. I can't even remember what the number started with. Was it an 0 or a 9 or a 7? What did it end with?

This has baffled me, because for five years I've always remembered my pin number. I've never needed to write it down or anything.

Just yesterday it seems that my memory had been erased of this number. The week before I had remembered the damn thing but I have only a jumbled memory of numbers from 0-9.

Has this ever happened to you?
    Have you remembered it now?

I think we all experience memory lapses like this from time-to-time...and apparently it gets worse the older a person gets.

When one is under pressure, as you were because of the circumstances, it seems as though the brain is unable to recall the information because of the stress it is under.

I always forget my telephone number...and if I go into another room to get something, I have to come out and start again because I've forgotten what it was I went in for.

Might be all the chemicals in the food we eat, the air we breath and the things we touch that is the principle cause. Put it down to modern-day brain poisoning.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.